“Great wines, inexpensive tasting”

Furnace Brook Winery at Hilltop Orchards
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: Hilltop Orchards -- an historic apple orchard in the Berkshires and home to award-winning Furnace Brook Winery – invites you to visit and explore our 200 acre property in Richmond, Massachusetts.The Vittori family celebrates its 25th year at Hilltop Orchards. Preserving local farming and opening our land to you - for apple picking, hiking and cross country skiing and snowshoeing - is our pleasure and our privilege.You'll be inspired by the vast open space and fantastic views from the hilltop as you explore the orchards and woodland hiking trails.Guests of our Garden Gables Inn in Lenox enjoy free trail fees plus unlimited wine tasting.
Reviewed March 20, 2015

We had a great time visiting Furnace Brook. The man hosting our tasting knew what he was talking about and was able to suggest tastings that would be better suited to customers palate. Generous pours, amazing donuts, an all around great place. We would highly recommend it and are headed back to Alaska a few bottles heavier.

All reviews
"well worth the trip"
"picnic lunch"
"enjoy wine"

Reviewed March 13, 2015

This was my first time at Hilltop Orchards. My friend and I were participating in the moonlit snowshoeing event that happens once a month. We went March 7, 2015. Thankfully the weather wasn't as cold as it has been so 20 something felt wonderful. There were over 60 participants in the snowshoe walk. We had a glass of wine before we left. It was absolutely a beautiful walk. Very dark but some folks had small lights attached to their hats which was nice. Helped us to see but you can see pretty good although it is dark. We walked about a mile I'm guessing. The hills were challenging but totally do-able. While on our walk it started to snow. It just could not have been a better night. So beautiful. On our return we stopped at a bonfire and our guide talked alittle bit about getting rid of negativity in our lives and attracting good and positive energy. The total time of this walk was approximately 1:30 to 2:00 hours. Back to the store and more wine!!! They also sell maple products and have a small bakery and oh yea they sell wine. I have say the wine was fantastic and I do plan to go there just to purchase the wine. They also rent snowshoes but I am not sure of the cost. If you have your own its a $10 charge that's so worth it. Actually a great deal. Wine is $7 a glass. Let me tell you....its a good size glass! I don't know if children are allowed on the evening moonlit walks. I didn't see any. I think day time would be a much better family outing with children. I am looking forward to going back to Hilltop Orchard and participating in their summer hikes as well. If you haven't tried this....Just Do It!!!! Have a blast!!!

1  Thank MassTraveler2013
Reviewed February 10, 2015

Great Cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and the added attraction of wine-tasting--a tough combination to beat in winter. We've been here a number of times and continue to enjoy the grounds, the friendly staff and the wine and cider. The owner, John, is extremely welcoming and has created a great venue for winter enjoyment. The full-moon snowshoe events and hikes are great, with wine and music following.

1  Thank Onthebacknine
Reviewed February 2, 2015

We visited Hilltop Orchards for the cross country skiing, with adults and children. Their ski rentals are top notch, at a great price, and there is a huge stone fireplace to warm you up when you return from the trails. Some of us in the group were first timers, so my only comment would be that the beginner trail was a little too hilly for someone just learning to handle the skiis, and my only reason giving this great little place a 4 instead of a 5. They did have an instructor available on the trails, for an extra fee, and he actually gave my son a few pointers for free. It is a beautiful trail system weaving in and out of the orchards, with great views. There is also the wine tasting, maple syrup, awesome cider donuts, hot cider, and chili. Will definitely return here.