“I am missing the Masthead”
Review of Masthead Resort

Masthead Resort
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Provincetown
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Here I sit in landlocked Central Pennsylvania. Our town, Lewisburg, is beautiful. But I am dreaming about last week when we visited the Masthead Resort in Provincetown. It rained a bit...but that didn't stop us from having a wonderful time at the Masthead. It did not rain all the time so we enjoyed the 450 feet of beach...good for swimming or for watching the tide come in and go out. Then there are the deck chairs....and the view of the harbor. I can see three of Cape Cod's lighthouses from the Masthead. And the full moon shimmering on the water. The Masthead's friendly and helpful staff..(Hi Wendy and Steve) And it is always wonderful to see John and Valerie once again. (Our first trip to the Masthead was in 1979......and we come back annually)
If you belong to the AAA, look at your 2012-2013 copy of the Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island map. The cover page is the Masthead....deck chairs and umbrellas and all.
The accommodations: Clean, comfortable. The Masthead is a traditional resort. Sure they offer free wi-fi.....but if you are looking for glitz and pizzazz.....you may be disappointed. But if you are looking for a comfortable, scenic, bayside and simply enjoyable time for couples and/or families, I rate the Masthead at the top of my list. I ought to know, our family has been coming since 1979. Why go any other place when you've found the place that meets your vacation needs: Comfortable, clean, short walking distance to downtown, beach, history (on foggy mornings you just might catch a glimpse of the Mayflower and the Pilgrims........I'm kidding). Try the Masthead. You'll return.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms......honest.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I just came back from staying 5 days at this great hotel, my partner and I left Boston looking for a place to relax and we couldn't be happier from choosing the masthead.
We stayed at room 35(Richards), its a beautiful cottage, old classic style with 3 bedrooms, facing the ocean, the views are breathtaking, the sound of the water at night and the breeze coming from our window was just magical.
House keeping was great as well as maintenance, we had an issue with our fridge and ten minutes after our called it was fixed.
Special thanks to Mr Ciluzzi for all his kindness. We will for sure be back to this ptown gem.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Charming cottages with a real Cape Cod quaintness. Step out the door to a quiet beach that becomes broad flats at low tide, ideal for a romantic stroll or brisque walk (make sure you know the tide schedule!) Who needs fancy amenities with such natural beauty? Spotlessly clean and equiped with all necessities, only a walk from downtown which is chock full of fabulous eateries for all tastes and some very unique shopping. Try it you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Let's be honest, I didn't expect the Ritz but for $325 a night, I didn't expect the below par accommodations. I did expect to have someone on-site and available with any issues but for 95% of the time we were there, there wasn't anyone.

The person I booked with also greeted us and she was great. That is where the friendliness/helpfulness ended.

The view is nice from the dock but the cottage we had was recessed back from the others with the nice, big picture windows on the 2nd floor so we didn't have as nice a view. When I saw the differences in the cottages, I was shocked that we paid the same price as the other, seemingly nicer ones.

We had a closed in porch and then a studio with a queen bed, fold out couch and roll away bed. All were hard as a rock and not comfortable at all. My sister had to sleep with the cushions from the couch laid on top of the mattress in order to get even remotely comfortable without having metal in her back. Note that there was a TON of furniture everywhere. I like open space and felt so claustrophobic with all of the chairs, tables, lights, desks, knick knacks.

Overall I guess you could say it was clean but because it was so old and rather muggy, it didn't totally feel it. The bathroom is very small and I didn't shower because I forgot my shower shoes. Even if I had them, not sure I would have used it anyway because the hot water lasted for about 5 minutes after about 10 minutes of warming up.

Scary fact #1: they have stanchions across the entire ceiling to support the second floor. YIKES!

Scare fact #2: they have extensions rigged up and hanging everywhere to get power to some of the lights. DOUBLE YIKES!

Now, when you're in PTown you spend most of your time hanging out downtown, shopping, eating, seeing shows, spa'ing, or whatever so, luckily, we didn't spend a lot of time there. I do have to do some work occasionally over he weekend but could not get any wi-fi and was told "oh, 'he' left at 4 but I'll try to reach him" in that "there's no way I'm going to even try to help you" kind of tone.

We had a little kitchen and everything in there was fine.

All in all, there were not a lot of positives. There is nowhere to socialize with other guests, no place other than your own kitchen to get coffee, which was gross and only had powdered milk provided.

Believe me, I am not high maintenance and can get by on essentials but this place didn't meet them.

I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't go. But there is a great restaurant right near there called Sal's. it's fantasti...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank BettyRoxx
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This cottage resort all of what you want to enjoy at a beachfront vacation. Charming cottages, clean and neat with the classic feel of Provincetown. Listen to the water as it laps against the sand and lulls you to sleep. Enjoy the waterfront deck and watch the boats and gulls skim across the water. A true classic.

Room Tip: Try one of the free standing cottages. 2-3 bedrooms right on the water.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lynda B
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great location, charming, right on the water. Staff very nice. Has all the necessities and very quaint. You get a real since of the area with this place. Smallish cottages, but perfect for two people. The deck and chairs very comfortable and right on the water. Great light especially early morning and dusk.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I just returned from my 7th visit to the Masthead; I was drawn to it the previous summer when looking around the West End waterfront for a new place to try. I peeked into the property and saw the expansive deck which overlooks the bay and I was sold. Fabulous location for any beach lover, especially, for me, for the access to early morning walks in low tide (almost made it to the other side of the bay one morning, until I worried about how fast the tide was coming in!). The staff is very accomodating and pleasant. I wish I was still there...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends