“The Perfect Place to stay!”

Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Provincetown
Reviewed January 11, 2009

This review is coming in a bit late, however it's a much deserved one! I'm planning my yearly trip to Provincetown and I'm very much looking forward to returning to Crowne Pointe.

First let me say that I've been vacationing in Provincetown each and every summer since 1999. Point being that I've stayed in several of the accomodations and visited others on the strip.
My review is based on *Provincetown standards*!

Over the years, I've learned that rooms in Provincetown are generally small, some too small, which is why I decided to give Crowne Pointe a try last year. And no matter where you go, each place has it's own problem or incident. What matters most is how these situations are handled.

The property is beautiful. I've uploaded some of my photos I took last summer of the walkways, pool, hot tubs, etc. They have lots of sitting areas either by the pool, or around the fountain, and a quite little area in the back which was perfectly located to the side of my room. It's very peaceful and private, located in the center of the surrounding Crowne Pointe property.

As I mentioned, I've stayed in some cramped rooms in P-town. I have learned that many websites post very misleading photos on their site. I won't mention names, however my trip in 2007, I litterally had no where to open my suitcase. So that was my last time there. I decided to check out Crowne Pointe and followed up with a phone call to ask them about the size of the rooms. Being very clear about wanting adequate amount of room, and they assured me there was.

John checked us in. The staff was extremely friendly, warm, & welcoming. Very happy to have us. They assisted us with our luggage to our room, and got our bikes in the bike racks. When I opened the door to the room, I was SO relieved. Now this is what I was talking about. My unit had a nice sized kitchen with a side table. The living room was cozy with sofa, recliner, desk and chair. The bedroom was PERFECT. Very clean and simple. Fireplace (if needed), airconditioning in both living room and bedroom, great closet space, flat screen desktop tv, amazing bed with all clean/fresh linen. (Now the one thing I noted for this year is to bring eye covers. Although the bedroom has shades, they are not light blocking shades, so it got bright in the AM). But luckily I found eye covers at a shop on the strip, I think it was called P-town Pookies. The Bathroom was simple and clean as well.

Now as I've said, each place for each trip will have it's one issue, and for us the water was going down slow in the bathroom on our second day. Someone in another unit had flushed a handtowel down the toilet. The staff had to come in and remove the toilet and snake the washcloth out. They worked very quickly and were very apologetic, although it wasn't their fault. After they finished, they came by with a bottle of wine on ice with glasses and a hand written note regarding the inconvenience. That's exactly what I was talking about earlier in this review, is HOW a situation is handled. It actaully wasn't any inconvenience at all. They acted right away when I called them on the problem.

What I loved about the decor is that it's very simple and VERY clean. I don't like stuffy places or ones that over decorate with gaudy furniture or pictures. I really have not stayed at a better place up in P-Town. I see myself returning here for many years to come.

I did get to experience the spa, which was also clean and professional. I believe the gentleman's name was Michael, who checked me in. Very friendly staff at the spa as well. I had a facial and of course a mani/pedi. I've been to some great spas for facials back at home. FINALLY, I found a great place here as well. I've gone to a spa (Blu Spa?) on Commercial St, and their facial was hideous. They pretty much threw water on my face and I don't even know what else. The Spa at Crowne Pointe has a licensed esthetician doing REAL facials. It was a great facial. I can't remember the esthetician's name, but I hope she's there this year when I return. It truely is the one and only "spa" in Provincetown.

I really can't say enough about this place. Some mention the price of the place. I'm one that doesn't mind spending a little extra money for something that's worth it. I arrived and departed thinking it was money well spent. And I'm looking forward to returning. If there's anything I didn't cover that someone want's to know about, feel free to contact me. PS - I did not eat at the restaurant, just because I made reservations for dinner at my favorite restaurants a month in advance. This year I plan on dinning with them.

A couple little side notes - We were given a parking pass to park in a back side lot right by the hotel. Very convenient, with in/out access. Turndown service each night with chocolates. Staff was extremely attentive and always checking in to make sure we were all set. Again, feel free to ask me any other questions not covered here.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JoeyAnyc
There are newer reviews for Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa

Reviewed December 30, 2008

Pros: The staff were friendly, helpful and attentive to our needs. the location is great, both the breakfast and the afternoon cheese and wine were good and we were particularly grateful for the DVD rental library.

Cons: the rooms are a fairly old which leads to continuous noise from the walls (neighbors?) and a malfunctioning heating system (the room was always too warm) and toilet. Our bed sheets had multiple tears. In addition, the SPA is totally overrated, the Jacuzzi does not function and the SPA staff was lazy and eager to kick us out 1 hour prior to closing time.

Overall it is a pretty nice romantic getaway but certainly not a $300/ night hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LAFRMIL
Reviewed December 24, 2008

We had a great time. The Inn was so beautiful even in the off season. I was a little disappointed that the restaurant was closed, but we made great friends during the wine and cheese social and spent the night bar-hopping with them. In the morning we were treating to a wonderful brunch prepared by the inn. Also, the Spa is a must experience. Everything is so nice, but not stuffy at all. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JHM25
Reviewed November 3, 2008

My husband and I chose to spend our 10 year wedding Anniversary/2nd Honeymoon at Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa after reading the many positive reviews at Trip Advisor as well as seeing all the alluring photos and descriptions of this remarkably charming and beautiful Inn at their website. All I can say is, the entire experience was so wonderful, relaxing and fun, that we never wanted to leave. We stayed during the last week of October for 5 magical nights and throughout our stay, we both felt like we were living in an ultra romantic, dream-come-true fantasy scenario. It made having to leave all the more difficult. We wished we could have stayed so much longer.

We stayed in their deluxe 2 story suite which turned out to be the perfect choice for our honeymoon stay. The suite was immaculately clean, cozy, spacious, beautiful and polished. The first level has a very well equipped kitchen with a sink, microwave, fridge, stove top and cabinets which stored various cookware, dishes, cups, glasses, etc. There is a large sized bathroom with a mini TV and jet jacuzzi tub which is really big enough for 2 people. There is also a dining area and living room area and the living room had a nice sized TV and a very comfy sofa and side chair. The second level has another complete bathroom with shower, large sized closet, an ultra comfy bed, gas fireplace, TV and private balcony complete with a table and 2 chairs. I couldn't get over the fact that the suite really looked as gorgeous as its photos from their website! In fact it looked even better in real life!! When we were checking out, the manager informed us that they would be replacing some of the living room furniture which I am assuming is to keep its well maintained appearance. I am delighted to know the management takes so much pride and interest in keeping their property in such fine order and I hope this will never change. I read from earlier reviews that there were some who felt their room looked "tired". There was nothing "tired" looking in our suite or anywhere throughout their grounds and well manicured gardens.

Crowne Pointe has the intimate feel and charm of a high end B&B and the professional manner of a hotel. You get the best of both worlds here. We felt very pampered throughout our stay and we could tell the other people who stayed felt the same way. Their service is excellent and their staff is very friendly. I felt it was certainly worth the money and I would highly recommend visitors to take advantage of their Spa and dining package. The food at their Bistro is not only scrumptious, but was also stunning to look at. The couple's massage we had at their Spa was pure heaven; it really relaxed us and I felt very refreshed and rejuvenated after the experience. I admired the small foot bridge and fish pond just outside their Shui Spa.

What I loved most during our visit was the nightly turn down service which included a note with the next morning's breakfast special and chocolates on our bed. I was impressed with their rotating breakfast specials and wide assortment of breakfast foods. I really appreciate the fact they go beyond the standard continental breakfast spread by offering such a wide assortment of foods for breakfast such as scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon along with pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit, granola, yogurt, muffins, cakes, bagels and hard-boiled eggs. Wow!! The daily 5PM wine and cheese hour in their Club Room was also a welcomed bonus and was a nice way to socialize with the other guests. My husband especially enjoyed the high end beer selection which was included with the wine and cheese hour and I enjoyed the fresh fruit & veggies and homemade cookies! Yum!

Finally, I would like to respond to some of the comments from earlier reviews regarding the quarters being cramped and the walls being "paper thin". Much of the older architecture in Provincetown was built on the small side and the buildings are close together. Provincetown is a small town and I think it's unfair to criticize Crowne Pointe for having their buildings built too close together. Do you realize these mansions were originally built in the late 1800s?? The closeness only makes these grounds more intimate . If this bothers you, than you won't enjoy the town either since much of it was built this way. As for the thin walls, my husband and I really didn't notice much noise even though we were there during their off peak season. I did hear some faint noises through the wall from a neighbor, but it was barely noticeable. My husband and I are used to hearing such noises since we live in a highrise apartment and the noise at Crowne Pointe was considerably less than the level of noise I hear everyday in our urban environment.

My advice to anyone interested in staying at Crowne Pointe is to be willing to spend some money because it is truly worth it. You really do get a lot for your money. Get the biggest room you can afford and take advantage of their Spa and dining package! You won't regret it.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Radiogal1
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We booked a deluxe room with an upstairs bedroom and downstairs living room at less than half of London prices for the equivalent.. The stay was just perfect (though the weather did not let us use the pool or the hot tubs). Great service throughout. Very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I was just surprised by my boyfriend with a trip to Provincetown and we stayed at the Crowne Point Inn. We had a wonderful time there. He even got me a birthday wine and cheese platter that was awaiting us when we walked into the room. When we arrived we were greeted by the friendly staff and the concierge walked us to our room. He even helped us with out luggage. The beds are made every morning and turned down for you every night while you are at dinner. The entire staff were friendly. They have a lovely landscaped patio area with 2 hot tubs and a small pool that could hold maybe 10 people if you don't mind not really swimming. It is close to Commercial street for shopping and food. It was awesome... The only complaint was that the hot tub whirl pool was not working right and we had to call them 2 times. After the second time though they did give us a bottle of wine to make up for the inconvenience. All in all it was an above average trip.!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We booked a last-minute stay at Crowne Point Inn. They had one room left, so our visit may have been somewhat out of the ordinary compared to other reviews here.

The room we had was very small, adequate but crowded. Apparently some rooms have jacuzzis and fireplaces, but since we were so last minute, we had a very small room that was fine for just one night. The most frustrating part of the room, however, was the air conditioner, which made a terrible sound throughout the night. We eventually had to turn it off, but since it was so warm out, we got very hot as a result.

On the plus side, the location of the inn is wonderful. We walked everywhere and found a great bike rental shop, Ptown Bikes, just up the street from the inn. They also have a casual cocktail hour each day at 5 where they offer wine and cheese. This was a nice way to unwind after being out all day and before having dinner.

We did not eat dinner at the inn, choosing instead to go to Front Street Restaurant which was very nice. The breakfast we had at the inn was okay, but not great. It does not compare to other homemade breakfasts I've had at small New England B&Bs.

The staff is pleasant and they let us store our bags for the day before it was time to catch our ferry home on the day of our checkout. They even let us use the spa shower before leaving since we had already checked out and no longer had a room. This was a nice touch and we appreciated it.

This is a nice inn, but expensive for what you get. I have stayed at other B&Bs where the owners are friendlier and really make an effort to make you feel at home. While this place is okay, it didn't leave me with that same feeling.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Provincetown
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Land's End Inn
Land's End Inn
#1 of 15 in Provincetown
The Provincetown Hotel at Gabriel's

Been to Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!