“Keep trying Marissa”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Quebec City, Canada
“Keep trying Marissa”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We went back to Marissa for a second dinner having really liked our first experience. Fresh pasta, good wine, friendly service. Our second visit was a bit less successful as our entrees and mains were somewhat boring compared to the first visit. However, I think they are just getting started so they deserve a chance.

Visited August 2014

Washington, Virginia
“A new gem in Ptown”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We eat out a lot, and we eat out in Ptown a lot. We set aside one night on our current two-week visit to try this new Italian restaurant in a beautiful building with a difficult past for restaurants. How glad we did! We had a high-top on the beautiful front porch, with great people watching, but removed from the street and all the noise of the center downtown. Host and waiter were delightful and helpful, both with suggestions of wine and explanations of the menu. Excellent cocktails with enough time to enjoy them before food arrived, and then delicious salads, two half-orders of pasta (suggested by our waiter when we expressed concern about too much food) -- the goat cheese stuffed "little letters" pasta was sublime, and I asked for a spoon so I could finish the sauce -- followed by excellent scallops and delicious but enormous serving of chicken with polenta and greens. Some wrinkles in service, given the excellent food and price range (for example, each course a complete set of silverware arrived wrapped in a new napkin, which was unnecessary, and my plate cleared before my partner had finished his course), but staff were cheefully responsive to requests and so pleasant that minor matters were easily overlooked. We look forward to going back!

Brookline, Massachusetts
“No to a KID... in the rudest of terms.”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Having eaten at this establishment recently and had great service and food. ( Gave them a rave review on trip advisor ). We returned just a few weeks later for vacation and immediately thought about returning. I walked in on Sunday afternoon asked if they had an early reservation for party of 7 plus, a 2 year old. Was told no problem they could accommodate at 6pm party of 7 and the toddler. However he told me they had two round tables and could not be put together. I didn't see a problem so I locked in for 6pm.

It was about ten of six we called and told them we would be there right on time. I dropped off the party and then parked the cars a block away with my son in law. When we walked back in, I was told by my daughters that the maitre was being extremely rude to them. He told the party, didn't have a high chair for my grandson. ( why take the reservation ) He said he didn't take the reservation. I told him that I made the reservation personally. I saw the owner and having spoke with him on our earlier visit, I approached him. I tried to explain the situation to him and the reception we had received. He told me everything was fine and but he was busy with a wine tasting. I came back to the table and it was clear my party was still very upset. The maitre had given the party such a bad welcome, one of our party had left. This guy was rude and clearly did not want a kid in the restaurant. Nobody on the staff would approach the table. The owner was clearly uninterested in straightening out the situation. I didn't see anyway to improve this situation. As we left, I spoke with the maitre again telling him we were leaving because he was very rude and totally un-accommodating. I told him we all felt un-welcome. As we departed and were out front, a young woman came out and screamed for us to "have a nice day".

It was a very strange experience. Never again.

5 Thank jmdubarry
Jeffery B, Owner at Ristorante Marissa, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
we are sorry we didn't live up to your first experience with us.
The host was trying to talk with three people from your party who were asking different questions.
during the call for the reservation we had stated that we have a high chair not a booster seat, and we have policy in place for party sizes because of the limitation of the building, so when we took the reservation you were informed that we could not seat you together, but while you were parking your car your daughter was giving the host a hard time about this and tell him that you needed to have a booster seat. and there was also a gentleman from your party who cut me off from talking with a guest about his dinner and wine tasting, who then lied to me saying that he had made the reservation with the owner which is me and he was told different story. So again we are sorry that we couldn't live up to what you were expecting.
Hyde Park, New York
“horrible service, lots of attitude from the waiters, chef and hostess”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

If you like awful, bitter cocktails, $15 glasses of wine that are only filled to 1/4 of a glass, stale bread and waiters with sarcastic, nasty attitudes, then Ristorante Marissa is the place for you. Our horrible experience in this fledgling restaurant started with a Bellini cocktail that tasted like acetone. The bartender reluctantly took the drink back then served me Perseco in the tiniest glass he could find. My husband's glass of wine was served in a mini carafe that had about 2 ounces of wine in it for $15! After waiting more than 20 minutes for a waiter to take our food order, the chef, Jeffery, came up to our table to ask how we were doing and if we were enjoying our food. When I said we haven't gotten any food and told him how awful their riff on a Bellini was, instead of apologizing for these missteps, the chef said that's how they make their drinks and then he went to the bartender and proceeded to talk, loudly enough for my table to hear, about us. Then we had the audacity to ask the waiter for a basket of bread. He informed us we don't get bread, unless we ask for it (shouldn't an Italian restaurant offer you a basket of bread while you wait for your food?) then nastily dropped a basket of stale bread on our table while sarcastically mumbling under his breath. We had now been in the restaurant for over 45 minutes (on a Monday night, not a busy time) and decided to cut our losses and leave this awful eatery.

2 Thank Laura K
We at Ristorante Marissa do not and will not abide by guests who are verbally abusive to the staff.
when you sat at the bar and order the custom cocktails that were explained to you as well as written out for you on the menu and you didn't ask to taste or for an explanation of what was in it (Mezcal) but order it any way and then tell us that our product is gross is a offensive way to behave. Then when you swear at my staff that is something that I can not sit by and allow. So we are sorry that we couldn't live up too your standards of what you think we should be producing and the level of service that you need. also I did apologies for you not enjoying the cocktail, but what I was trying to explain to you that we have our own custom recipes written by one of the best barmen in Boston area. Instead of allowing me to explain and have a conversation with you you kept cutting off what I was saying and telling me we weren't good enough. when i left the table and talked with the bartender i was checking the ingredients and making sure that the cocktail you had ordered was made correctly. So yes in that sense I was talking about your table. We do like to take care of our guest who come out to have an enjoyable dinning experience, but I will not allow someone who comes into the restaurant with a bad attitude and abusive nature to take out there bad day on my staff. we are here to create and serve food and drinks to you not take punishment from you.
Again I am sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with us.
New York City, New York
“Amazing food... Experienced by an Italian from Brooklyn”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

After meeting a guy on the street and him recommending this place highly, we took a shot. Oh, boy, and what a home run it was! The food was totally fantastic, with it being up to par with delicious NYC restaurants. Homemade spaghettini with fresh tomatoes, little garlic and scallions, simple but magnificent. The grilled tuna over cannellini beans was superb. These were all fresh ingredients expertly put together to form a truly memorable dining experience. The fresh burratta with a tomato jam alongside toasted Italian bread melted with its creaminess in our mouths. I never eat fried calamari. Not my thing. But this take on it was just .... Just..... Sooooo good...Crispy Calamari, black gnocchetti, cherry peppers, roasted garlic.. The black gnoccheti is something I wouldn't have tasted had I known what it was... Well, that would have been foolish cause it was great. All the different components of this dish melded together perfectly. You want the best meal in Ptown? Ristorante Marissa is the place to go... Loved it! I hope this review doesn't screw up my chance of another meal here this week!