“A Whale Watch Trip for the Whole Family”

Dolphin Fleet Whale Watch
Ranked #1 of 26 Tours in Provincetown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Whale watching originators of east coast whale watching since 1975. trips depart daily from Provincetown harbor. 3-4 hours in duration. booking available on-line, private chartering available. trip times vary, up to 10 trips daily during July and August Season April- October
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I recently visited Cape Cod for the 1st time and was fortunate enough to take this Whale Watch trip. We saw 18 whales and were able to follow several pods through dives and resurfacing. The naturalist was very informative and interesting. One thing though - the boat has a professional videographer, which is great if you want your trip on video, however, the captain had the boat directed at the whales for the videographer's position on the right side of the boat, and didn't allow the left side of the boat equal viewing time. My advice, get on the right side of the boat!!

1  Thank Katiehula
Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed September 17, 2009

I first stepped on board the "original" Dolphin in 1957 as a teenager. We were fishing & enjoying that experience. A few years later my wife & I returned & discovered that the Dolphin ll was going out on whale watches. What a fantastic idea. That was our first of 28 trips on EVERY Dolphin ship. Fishing on the ORIGINAL & whale watching on the ll lll lV V Vl Vll Vlll & the newest, the Portuguese Princess.I found an old picture of me standing in front of the original wooden ship a couple of years ago. I gave it to one of the ladies working behind the counter to give to Steve, the new owner. Got a nice phone call thanking me for it. We would NOT think of coming to the Cape without taking at least one trip with this fleet. The Ships are built for comfort. The crews are amazing & the entire experience is hard to put into words~~~~~"JUST DO IT!!"

"TOCTHEUSA"

2  Thank toctheusa
Reviewed September 5, 2009

We took their sunset cruise (departure at 4:30pm) on Sept 3, 2009. It was a nice sunny day, so viewing back into provincetown was nice during departure. It took about slightly less than an hour before we hit the "whale location". There was an onboard expert to explain the history of the fleet, the area and some facts about whales so you won't feel too bored. And since the return trip was during sunset, the view was also spectacular. Anyway, back to the main focus, about an hour into the trip, we had a small whale flipping and flopping around us to get the "ohhs and ahhs". One advice is if you are sitting on the top deck, if you can't squeeze through to the front of the ship, you should try the lower deck which has more open space. After the single whale sighting, we also hit many others swimming in pairs or groups of three. You could occasionally hear the whale's singing too. A very cool experience overall!

T4:30pm trip is really recommended, seeing whales up close plus watching a nice sunset just make the whole trip perfect.

Reserving online or AAA membership save you a few dollars on adults. And parking near the pier was $12 for whole day. If you want to save a few dollars, and only go there for the cruise and not intended to walk around on commerce street, there is a per hour parking a few blocks up the hill that charges $2 per hour, and max at $11.

2  Thank Fun_Family_of_Five
Reviewed September 2, 2009

This was the highlight of our 9-day New England vacation by far. Of course, it helped that we were blessed with perfect weather, calm seas, and numerous up-close sightings of these massive creatures. The misses and my son each took Dramamine (happily supplied by the ship's crew, they commented that they wished more people would be proactive, not after the ralphing begins) though it wouldn't have mattered this particular day. We had two days to pick from based on our schedule so we watched weather.com and planned accordingly. I would strongly advise calling ahead for reservations as they have numerous sailings but book quickly. And if your schedule allows, watch the weather carefully.

1  Thank pepp7091
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I'm an aquarium addict, and was thrilled to get some first-hand viewing of these majestic creatures in their natural habitat.

Dolphin Fleet was the most popular service, and offered the most number of outings a day, so we decided to book for an early afternoon whale watch. I'm glad that we did, as they sell out quickly, and I'd highly recommend making reservations well in advance. I'd also recommend getting to the dock about a half hour early to ensure you have a seat on the boat.

It's a nice ride out to the feeding grounds, though sunscreen is definitely needed. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and friendly, and provided some entertainment for the journey. Once we got there, the captain was great about ensuring both sides of the boat saw the whales, though I recommend being up front as much as possible.

They were gorgeous. We saw 10 or 11 Humpbacks, mostly in groups - including a baby whale! One even did a little flipping over and flapping his/her flipper for us. Photos were easy to take, though I kept missing the tail action! I ended up just recording a video on my digital camera.

The food on the boat didn't look too enticing, and we weren't able to sit much as they overfill the boat for each run. It's definitely worth it though - these are amazing creatures, and it's fantastic to not only get to see them, but that some of your ticket price goes toward research to protect them.

1  Thank ChellyNY