“Hard to recommend” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 63 Provincetown B&B and Inns
Uzes, France
“Hard to recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was a last minute booking, following a wedding in Rhode Island, and came at the suggestion of our innkeeper in Bristol, R.I., whose own property, the William Grant's was a delight.
Ours was a queen size bedroom, but fronting onto a noise Provincetown street, with late night revellers passing right outside our ground floor window until the early hours, and then the municipal street sweeping vehicle seemingly coming into the room at 5am.
For the price we paid we were disappointed with the lack of amenities; no tea/coffee maker in the room, no hair dryer, the breakfast element only applies in July and August, and the "bathroom" little more than a small toilet with a minute shower and the basin in the bedroom. We will certainly give Victoria House a miss next time.

Room Tip: We didn't see the other rooms, but avoid the street level room fronting the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
VictoriaHouseInn, Manager at Victoria House, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Sir and Madame, In response to your low rating on of your stay. I would like to point out a few things. One: we are a mid range affordable guest house, we are not a luxury bed and breakfast with a lot of luxury amenities. Two: You called at 6:50am to book this room, which quite honestly is inconsiderate. I gave you a discounted rate on a very attractive room, and even explained to you this had a WC European type bathroom and you were quite aware of that before you even finished booking. You came during off season when we do not have a full time staff due to lower occupancy except during weekends. Three: I was the sole person on duty handling every function of the inn. I had postponed a medical appointment for 2 days in order to be here and take care of some internal business. I left you a welcome letter, instructions about parking and breakfast, and keys to your room. 4: This is an antique house standing 170 years old and Provincetown is known for a big of raciness after hours, but it lasts briefly. Most people comment on how surprisingly quiet the rooms are. For the amenities we offer, we are a most generous and attractive inn in PTown. I suspect you would have been happier in a 5 star B&B and not a budget minded guest house. I also suspect any level of effort on our part would not have pleased you. I was here the entire time you were registered and not once did I hear anything from you during your stay. Your review is biased and frankly inaccurate and if you should ever return to Provincetown, I suggest a little research before booking same day last minute on a lark. We do our best but not everyone is pleased. I could not help but notice your wife had posted a similar review of us only a couple of hours after your (late departure). Our reviews are 99% positive and your review contradicts almost all of them. That says something about expectations and accuracy of the review. I even bid you farewell upon departure and reiterated I regretted not being able to be here at checkin after office hours. You smiled and said to me "Not an problem. Farewell." I am truly sorry you disliked the inn so much as to write such an negative (unfair) assessment. Mildred and I go out of our way non stop for over 250 days with no break to assure guests satisfaction. We have never been publicly dismissed as inept and offering terrible service...it simply is not true, If ever in PTown again I would be happy to either upgrade your room to our largest room, or if you wish, a luxiry deluxe property you may feel more comfortable with. Sincerely, James Twiss, Manager Victoria House Provincetown, Cape Cod, Massachusetts 02657

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed for four nights in July. The room was comfortable and beyond clean. The location is amazing and surprisingly quiet for the center of town. The manager and other staff were friendly and helpful. I loved the breakfast!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank slz50
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at Victoria House for 2 nights. Great location, right in the centre of Provincetown, very clean and quiet, generous breakfast and an extremely kind, helpful manager, very knowledgeable about the area (plus, he has good taste: he likes Annie Lennox :-).

Besides all the parties going on, Provincetown is a poetic place with a soul (like the house), do take the time to rent a bike (30 seconds on foot from Victoria House) and explore the surroundings, get lost in the dunes and listen to the wind and the sea.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are small, if this is a problem for you check when booking what kind of room you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed two nights, on the last week of August. We had booked a double room with shared bathroom, but when we arrived, we were upgraded to a double with private bathroom, with no additional charges. The room was very nice and comfortable, and the bathroom impeccable. Delicious breakfast too, with fresh bread, yoghurts and fruits. And the staff was considerate and helpful! The location is perfect, just 2 min away from the harbour.

Room Tip: Lovely double room on the ground floor, but maybe the upper floor is more quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here recently during Carnival week and what a great place. For the price the location couldn't have been beat. I was looking for a place that was near everything but not way off the beaten path, and this is right off the corner of Commercial St. and Standish St. maybe a 10 minute walk to the fast ferry. We stayed in room 2, which had its own private bath. The room was decent in size, CLEAN, had an air conditioner, mini fridge, tv, and closet space. The bathroom was small but efficient and again clean. Jim the property manager is just a sweetheart and really takes pride in his work. In the morning he puts out a little spread on the common patio (where it is perfect to sip wine, have some nibbles and enjoy the ocean air) which consists of some yogurt, juices, local baked goods, cereal and really good coffee. I can't speak for the shared bathroom rooms, but I would surprised if it's anything less than what I described. Looking forward to coming back!

Room Tip: Room 2 is great, only thing it's on the street side which gets sunny early. Rooms 3 and 4 have a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have stayed here for two years in a row and completely enjoy my stays. The manager, Jim Twist, is very friendly, informative and personable. The housekeeper, Mildred, is excellent and does a great job at daily housekeeping service. The rates are reasonable for the rooms you get. Unlike other Inn's they don't overcharge visitors or put minimum stays/restrictions on visitors, which is the reason I keep coming back. I typically get a room with a private bath and they are very nice. However, the rooms upstairs with shared baths are equally nice but slightly smaller. Victoria House is dead center in town making it very convenient to walk anywhere in P-Town. They don't offer parking so you will need to park in a lot on either end of Standish Street. There are parking meters across the street if your lucky enough to get one. The light breakfast in July and August is just enough to get going in the morning and GREAT coffee! The courtyard is small but pleasant and has new patio furniture with tables and chairs. I would not hesitate in recommending this Inn to anyone visiting P-Town who wants a clean and reasonable affordable place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 3 is on the side of the house and has a private entrance and small private patio on the back si...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Iowa City Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed in room 1 with private bath and it was perfect for our visit over Independence Week. It's a quiet location on Standish street yet centrally located. As mentioned in previous reviews you are literally in the very heart of Ptown, with Commercial street just a few feet away. The large queen bed provided for great sleeping after nights out on the town. Some very nice bonuses were the large mini fridge, the large shower and the air conditioner worked great! We really needed this during our stay as temps climbed into the 90's on many days. In addition the room was immaculately clean and tastefully decorated. There is also a very nice continental type breakfast spread on the back terrace every morning which consisted of croissants, fresh fruit, different pastries every day, juice, cereal, greek yogurt and coffee. You will not find a better value in all of Ptown and will definitely have a very comfortable stay. Victoria House is one of a kind for this central location and felt like staying in a friend or family's guest room, rather than a guest house.

Also, kudos to Jim for being such an accommodating host! From the time I booked the visit way back in February he went above and beyond providing very useful information via email and over the phone. Jim made great suggestions to ensure our visit went seamlessly. This was quite useful as first time visitors to Provincetown. Jim also went out of his way to suggest a great restaurant the last night of our stay, Fanizzi's by the Sea, which looked delightful. Unfortunately we didn't get in... We'lll have to go there next time. Victoria House would definitely be my first choice next time in Provincetown.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Provincetown
Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa
Sandcastle Resort
#13 of 14 in Provincetown
Four Points by Sheraton Eastham Cape Cod
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Victoria House? Share your experiences!