We just returned from what was supposed to be a 4 night stay but turned into a 3 night stay. Let's start with the room - the bed in the room had an old, 4-6 inch mattress. It was so old that there was actually a crease down the length of it. We went to the local hardware store and bought an air mattress to lay on top of it.
The owner showed me the living/dining area of the main house and told me that breakfast was served there. I asked if the guests used the room to sit and read or watch tv. He said, "well, we use it. Most of our guests don't but of course, you're welcome to if you want. Not very encouraging or welcoming. Clearly the room is used by the owners as their living room.
Next, we noticed that there were plastic cups on the gates that blocked the staircases to the rooms and onto the property. Inside the cups were squirt guns. Being naturally curious, we asked what they were for. We were told that they were to be used to stop their dog from jumping on the guests so we were free to squirt the dog whenever necessary.
The continental breakfast consisted of coffee and muffins. Not a problem, except that the coffee was hazelnut and the muffins were chocolate pecan. I don't eat nuts.
We were on the first level of a two level building. The upstairs room had a gate leading up to it that slammed each time the guests entered their room. The gate was just outside the door to our room. We tied a towel around the post to soften the blow so it wouldn't wake us, but each day it was removed.
The second morning we decided to have our breakfast that we purchased around the corner, outside at the only outside seating area - a table with 2 benches. The table was covered with sawdust from the previous afternoon's sawing. We cleaned it and sat down only to listen to the dog crying and barking at the door inside the house. One of the employees of the inn opened the door whereupon the dog came bounding to me. He first jumped on me, then jumped to the other side of the table and put his mouth around the coffee cake we just bought. Needless to say, we had to throw it away.
That night, the upstairs guest and 3 other friends decided to have a loud conversation outside our door, waking both of us from a sound sleep at 1:00 a.m.
We checked out the following morning and lost the money for the last night's stay. When we checked out the owner told us that 80% of their guests are happy with that room. I wish he had told us before we registered, since I don't think 80% is a glowing recommendation.
I would strongly recommend not booking a room here.