“One of the Best in Ptown”

The Red Inn Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 145 Restaurants in Provincetown
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I have to agree with another reviewer on two points: snootily asking for the credit card number for the reservation (this is not NYC on New Year's Eve) and the lobster appetizer with the scant lobster. I have to say, though, that I overlooked both and spent a wonderful birthday dinner there. Superb filet, a view to die for, staff that was efficient without being overbearing. Not too hard to take.

1  Thank Bostonbrutus

Reviewed October 14, 2010

Had to leave my credit card number to reserve a table on Saturday night - staff seemed a bit snooty - not fabulous service. Good food - though had the lobster & artichoke fondue for an appetizer and was not sure that there was any lobster in it - really? for $15?? But still tasy nonetheless. Pricey but nice atmosphere!!

2  Thank lubumbashi13
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have made a total of two visits to the Red Inn for Dinner. The view from the rear deck of the harbor as the sun goes down is amazing and you also get to experience this view from within the restaurant, as well. Inside is elegant and comfy – they had the fire going on both visits (Oct 2010 and 2008). The staff is attentive but can sometimes be a bit snooty. In my opinion this is perhaps the most expensive restaurant in Provincetown (rivaled by Devon’s). The food is good but not outstanding.

My recent visit in Oct 2010 was with a party of 6. We ordered appetizers, salads and entrees. The waiter forgot to bring the salads and some confusion ensued at the table as to why the entrée’s came out before the salads arrived. The waiter provided us with a spread of complimentary deserts (all delicious) for this gaff. We skipped the salads and they were taken off the bill - I appreciated the gesture. I ordered the nightly special grilled veal chop which was just ok, slightly fatty and grisly but fork tender – I would not get again. My other half ordered the 2.5lb grilled whole lobster which is a daunting task to de-shell but was delicious. My other guests ordered the double thick chili rubbed pork chop and sea scallops. Both enjoyed the pork chops and my one guest felt they could have given one or two more scallops. Overall all, everyone probably enjoyed the views and ambiance more than their food. Bill was approx $450 with tip and 1—2 cocktails each person.

My visit in Oct 08 was just me and my other half. We ordered salads – I had the beet, field greens, goat cheese with candied nuts salad which was delicious. I don’t recall if we had appetizers of not. My entrée was the filet mignon which was good but not a mind blowing presentation. My other half had the 2.5 lb grilled lobster. It appears there was a problem in the kitchen – either they messed up or ran out of lobster but it took over an 1 & 1/2 hours to get the lobster out. We weren’t really kept abreast of what was going on and left us wondering what the delay was. Again, we were given a complimentary dessert which was delicious again (bread pudding). Bill for the two of us was about $300 including an average bottle of wine plus tip.

Again, food is good but not amazing. Both goofs on each visit were handled nicely and wouldn’t be a reason for me not to go back. It’s an elegant place but slightly overpriced.

3  Thank Elementzzofstyle
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Best filet in the world! Melt in the mouth!! Extensive wine list. Fabulous setting. Brilliant.

1  Thank Sportbluehorse0
Reviewed September 3, 2010

One of the best restaurant experiences in Provincetown. Fabulous setting, Fabulous moonlit ocean view. Fabulous food. The Crispy Panko Crusted Shrimp are delicious and the Pepper Crusted Filet Mignon in a Jack Daniel's Sauce is without a doubt the best we have ever tasted. The service is excellent with very attentive servers. Our only bugbear was the noise levels from a loud group of other diners at another table. Overall, a most pleasurable experience. Worth the flight from the UK.

2  Thank Kenny40