“Turn up the lights”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Had an average to good meal. Place was jammed at 8 pm and our table was right near the hopping bar. This is the place for cocktails. Service unobtrusive and good. A bit disappointed in the food. Bland rather than the creole promised. Lighting a bit on the dim side, people around us using light from their phones to read the menu! Way down the town's east end, needed a cab to get there. Would I recommend? Yes for a dinner on the pricey side in a dim, crowded, noisy dining room far out of center of town.

1  Thank adnill

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Whenever we visit friends in P'town, we go to the Red Inn for brunch, which is wonderful: the breakfast items are delicious and the mussels are perfectly cooked in a savory broth. This trip we had dinner, and it was classic New England fare, well presented and prepared. I ordered cod (I guess because I was visiting the Cape of the same name), but it was a bit bland. My partner's fillet mignon was great - tender and flavorful. The setting -- indoors and out -- is charming, and the view over the water is spectacular. Beautiful boys always seem to be seated at the bar.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

After a wonderful dinner experience last year, this was our second September visit, with a same-day reservation to boot!! The phone service was courteous and efficient. The food was fantastic again. We shared the special caramelized onion/tomato/blue cheese tart appetizer, and and it was so amazing we asked if the chef would give up the recipe. Apparently it had been thrown together without a recipe to use up a bumper haul of wonderful tomatoes, but we were given enough details about the preparation to be able to re-create it at home. The pan-roasted cod here has ruined me for cod prepared anywhere else. We have not found anywhere else on the Cape offering a comparable combination of great food AND great views.

We noticed that whenever they didn't have anything in particular to do, the servers paced up and down the row of tables so that there was always a server to help us if we needed anything, even if it wasn't OUR server. There is also great communication among the servers; sometimes one server would assess our needs and a different server would bring what we needed.

Be aware that you need a credit card to secure your reservation, and you will be charged a fee for no-showing or for canceling after 3pm the day of the reservation.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Perhaps it was chef's night off. Perhaps it isn't fair to judge the menu when three of the four at our table ordered the same dish (the grilled swordfish "special"), that, in each instance was dry, and plated un-appetizingly with a total lack of imagination. The fourth dish was a seafood pasta that was so bland that even a healthy dose of sea salt and three applications of pepper left it rather blah.
On the other hand, Tom was a great server, and conveyed our concerns to the kitchen after which we were rewarded with a complimentary and truly wonderful dessert plate. I am a cheesecake enthusiast and this was terrific, and I don't think that I have ever in my life ordered bread pudding, but having tasted the Red Inn's, it is now on my must have list.
On yet another hand, Tom's great service was accompanied by an off putting and over-enthusiastic bus-person. In each instance, clearing started before all were done, and as often as not, he reached across the person to clear from the other side of the table, instead of going around. As the salad plates were cleared even before we lowered our forks, I wondered if they weren't hoping to have the table ready for the next seating within an hour of our arrival.
On the fourth hand (for those with four upper extremities), why go? Here’s why! First, you drive through the prettiest part of Provincetown to reach the inn, and, if you know the history of the houses that were floated across from Long Point, you will see many of the blue plaques memorializing that event. Next, after squeezing your car into a parking lot that doesn't have enough spaces for both diners and hotel guests, you are treated to a view of a lovely Cape building, a terrace, and a restaurant in which you are likely to have a seat with a wonderful view. We were treated to a spectacular rainbow, but I don't think that we can credit management for that, at least not the Red Inn's management.
If it was only Tom, service would have been rated as a 5. Unfortunately, the bus-person dragged that down. Too many people have found the food wonderful to permit me to write this off as a bad restaurant, but culinary wise, we had a bad evening. Hopefully ours was the exception to the rule, as it would be a shame for such a lovely setting to be accompanied by anything less than a superb dining experience.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Picture this, day at the beach, its 3 PM, you are in the cape, a must do, stop at the Red Inn for Happy Hour, everyday from 2PM-5PM, there is nothing like their $1 oysters, clams and shrimp, and their amazing variety of beers and wine, relax outside on the deck with views of the bay, but definetly go back for Dinner, AMAZING!