“Modest in looks but really good food”
Review of Mayflower Cafe

Mayflower Cafe
Ranked #33 of 145 Restaurants in Provincetown
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is a down home, local restaurant that has been in Provincetown for years. Not a table-cloth place but work it if you want tasty food at a decent price. Make sure you try the Portuguese kale soup. It was great. Fried clam strips were good too. And the lobsters were great. Right in the heart of downtown Provincetown. Easy to get to from just about any hotel or guesthouse in the town.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great Portuguese soup with kale, onion, sausage. Food was hot and good. Nice variety to please everyone. Staff was very nice as well. No complaints here.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a fantastic dinner at the Mayflower. The staff is top notch and the food was excellent. We will return many times in the future.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stopped in here for a quick bite to eat. Lobster roll was delicious, so was the clam chowder. Best I have had in a long time. Would definitely go back. Family friendly.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I enjoy fine dining but also delight in tracking down reasonably priced, unpretentious places to eat that don't break the bank but have good chow. We thought the Mayflower might be one of those "finds"..but alas 'twas not to be. It's a no-frills, diner style place with frontage on Commercial Street (P'Town's main drag) that comes across as a central-casting set for a 50's eatery. Although there were only a few occupied tables, we were seated directly across from the kitchen pass-through window and the exposed kitchen where the staff kept us "entertained" with an endless stream of mindless, rather high volume, non-food oriented chatter throughout our meal. OK, so we could endure that and would sit elsewhere on a subsequent sit..but.
The clam chowder I ordered was on the thin side and I managed to find some clam components, so I can perhaps attribute that to a Chef's menu rather than thinning things down as closing time got closer. I agonized in choosing between lasagna and a Portuguese Chicken dish and was persuaded by the waitress to try the chicken because I could "get lasagna anywhere" (valid point - although I love lasagna). My wife ordered chicken croquettes (another old favorite from diners past).
The chicken dish was interesting. It appeared to be deep fat fried chicken bathed in a heavy tomato and onion sauce that overwhelmed the entire dish and led me to suspect the same stock sauce was used to classify other menu items as "Portuguese" (pork chops, etc.). (We have travelled throughout mainland Portugal and don't recall seeing similar sauce..but acknowledge it may be an Azorian influence). The chicken was edible but I left most of the sauce in the dish. I didn't bring enough Tums on this trip.
The chicken croquettes were a mixed bag. They were deep fat fried with a hard, dense crust that my bride chipped away to get to the doughy interior which she described as "tasty".
In any event, we'd hoped to be delighted and came away as merely satisfied. We may try again earlier in the evening and try another table...ya gotta hope.......???
The lobster specials served to a nearby table looked delicious and seemed reasonably priced.