“Mixed Emotions”

Ranked #33 of 144 Restaurants in Provincetown
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I enjoy fine dining but also delight in tracking down reasonably priced, unpretentious places to eat that don't break the bank but have good chow. We thought the Mayflower might be one of those "finds"..but alas 'twas not to be. It's a no-frills, diner style place with frontage on Commercial Street (P'Town's main drag) that comes across as a central-casting set for a 50's eatery. Although there were only a few occupied tables, we were seated directly across from the kitchen pass-through window and the exposed kitchen where the staff kept us "entertained" with an endless stream of mindless, rather high volume, non-food oriented chatter throughout our meal. OK, so we could endure that and would sit elsewhere on a subsequent sit..but.
The clam chowder I ordered was on the thin side and I managed to find some clam components, so I can perhaps attribute that to a Chef's menu rather than thinning things down as closing time got closer. I agonized in choosing between lasagna and a Portuguese Chicken dish and was persuaded by the waitress to try the chicken because I could "get lasagna anywhere" (valid point - although I love lasagna). My wife ordered chicken croquettes (another old favorite from diners past).
The chicken dish was interesting. It appeared to be deep fat fried chicken bathed in a heavy tomato and onion sauce that overwhelmed the entire dish and led me to suspect the same stock sauce was used to classify other menu items as "Portuguese" (pork chops, etc.). (We have travelled throughout mainland Portugal and don't recall seeing similar sauce..but acknowledge it may be an Azorian influence). The chicken was edible but I left most of the sauce in the dish. I didn't bring enough Tums on this trip.
The chicken croquettes were a mixed bag. They were deep fat fried with a hard, dense crust that my bride chipped away to get to the doughy interior which she described as "tasty".
In any event, we'd hoped to be delighted and came away as merely satisfied. We may try again earlier in the evening and try another table...ya gotta hope.......???
The lobster specials served to a nearby table looked delicious and seemed reasonably priced.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I drove two hours to spend the day in provincetown. We decided to try the Mayflower, big mistake. My wife got the fried scallops($23) and I got the fish and chips ($17). My wife's scallops had sand in them and my so called fish was 3 extremely thin pieces of what looked luck Talapia. When I say thin it's an understatement; it was also dry and I struggled to cut it with a fork. When I order fish and chips normally I get a nice thick piece of Cod Or Haddock. I struggled to find the fish in the order and felt like I had a $17 dollar order of fries. Outrageous they get away with ripping off tourist like this. If they would like to contact me personally my e mail is kegogi@comcast.net

Michael J, Owner at Mayflower Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

I am sorry your experience at The mayflower was less than perfect. You stated the fish was thin. Quoted from the description on the menu "Always flounder". Flounder is a flat fish. I suppose you could call it thin. The size of our flounder fillets are 3-4 oz each., you had 3, so you had between 9 and 12 oz of flounder; a very generous portion by an measure. We also have Fried Scrod on the menu. It is codfish, and it is a 10 oz fillet. Perhaps that would have been a better choice for you.The restaurant was built and run by my family in 1929 and has remained such since then. We serve many thousands of tourists as well as most of the locals each year. We are known for our generous portions and reasonable prices. We strive for 100% satisfaction so I will e-mail you to see if we can regain you as a satisfied customer.
Michael J.
Co-Owner

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This place is retro and cool. It's open late. Prices were cheap, food was pretty good. Our server was nice. It was very cozy and relaxing and a change from touristy places. I would go there again.

1  Thank Tracy J
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The Mayflower, is an unexpected restaurant. It has a long running history, and appers to be in a bit of a time warp which is fine for this type of place. The food is delicious and I reccomend the lobster and also their sandwiches such as the Reuben.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Walking by the Mayflower we noticed that they had a twin lobster special and put it on our list for dinner. This is a simple old fashioned place, no frills. We had a wonderful waiter, and enjoyed our meals. The twin lobsters were great and came with potatoes and a side salad. My husband ordered from the daily special list and loved the fried oysters that he ate. This is a place that we will always return to for a well prepared great value meal.

1  Thank MAGSNiagaraOnTheLake