“Great place to stay. Right on the water.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sandcastle Resort

Sandcastle Resort
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Provincetown
Burlington, CT
“Great place to stay. Right on the water.”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed 9/08/2012 for one week. Had a spacious one bedroom, large deck over the pool and with a view of the ocean. 2 very comfy double beds in bedroom & new sofa bed in main living area. 2 full baths, 2 TV's. Small kitchen, 2 burners & full size fridge. (did not plan to cook). Nice pots & every thing needed for cleaning. Unit was just done over. Large spotless saltwater pool, large indoor heated pool & large whirlpool. Shuttle into town which was great fun. Could also call for bike with a cart for sitting. They will pick you up and bring you back. Bought lobsters right from boat and cooked them in our little kitchen. Yum, yum. Great restaurants in town & plenty of shopping. Every one gathered around the outdoor pool and just gabbed & socialized during the day & night. This place is old, no fancy counters & no elevator but clean. We are looking forward to going back and hopefully meeting our new friends. If you need anything, look for Tim and he will be glad to help.

Room Tip: There is a building in the back & decks overlook the parking lot. Heard they were nice but peop...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maryelen W
Nevms, General Manager at Sandcastle Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We will continue to work hard to make sure that your next stay with us is even better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Whitinsville, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Sandcastle Resort was clean enough, and the room was a decent size with a kitchenette. There were no regular beds though, only a pullout couch and a fold down bed. The concierge was very nice and helpful in recomending a place to eat, but the front desk people weren't the freindliest. They do have a bike room, which is nice, but bring a lock, it is not very secure. Great location and has a shuttle from the parking lot to down town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We were very concerned that you were not completely satisfied with our front desk staff. We are reviewing your comment with the staff and I'm sure you will find your next stay with us to be both friendly and helpful.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We booked a suite and a room right on the water- the view and location were amazing. It made it hard to leave the hotel! There is a kitchen so this is a good
Option for families or anyone trying to save some money. There is also a shuttle into town which
Is only $2 per person! The biggest downside was the cleanliness- towels had long dark hair stuck to them and there were candy wrappers left over
In the room. Another minor downside was the lack of service.... When we asked front desk about delivery places they handed us a pile of menus and offered no suggestions. Again, this was minor.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Alena A
We appreciate your honest comments. We take pride in the cleanliness of our resort and we are reviewing your comments with our housekeeping team. Our front desk staff is also being reminded that customer service is our number one priority.
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We've stayed at the Sandcastle every year for the past decade, and it keeps getting better and better. It's close enough to P-town that you can get to the restaurants, galleries, and shops easily, but it's far enough away that you don't feel like you're always in the action. The rooms, especially in the Dunes building (which is newer) are comfortable, and there are new mattresses on many of the sleep sofas. The staff is informal, and not always Helmsley Palace-professional, but always extremely helpful if you ask. The new management is working very hard to update the rooms, the kitchens, the furnishings, etc., and every year there are more things to enjoy. The beach and pool are wonderful, and the new outdoor grill makes good food, is really convenient, and is cheap by P-town standards. Whether you buy a week (which will save you a lot of money over the long run if you plan to come back or want to do exchanges with other timeshares), or just come in for a couple of nights, it's probably the best value in P-town.

Room Tip: The Royal Coachman units don't have A/C, but a lot of them look out over the beach, so you have...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgieA
We really appreciate your recent review. We're working very hard to improve the quality of our rooms and have recently spent millions in renovations, but we're not done yet. Over this winter, we'll be doing kitchen and bathroom updates and, while we're not ever going to be a Marriott, we are going to be the best Sandcastle we can be!
Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Checked in early, was thrilled to get there...room was not even cleaned from prior guest. To say this place is dated is the understatement of the decade. The pull out couches with the practically non existant mattress - I am still in pain after 3 nights home. I was hurt by a falling umbrella at the pool that landed on my chest and the management could have cared less. I was so glad that I did not use my vacation points to stay here. The place I own at is 5 star and this place was a step above a roach motel on a good day!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank amiestrips
We were very disturbed by your review and are taking steps to investigate what happened with a view towards correcting all of the items you mention. While we are in the midst of a multi-million dollar renovation, I'm disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your vacation needs. Rest assured that we do care and we hope that you'll give us another opportunity next year.

Travelers are raving about these Provincetown hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 14, 2012

OK, I am going to give you my honest opinion of this place. I'll start with the positives. Affordability was great considering my boyfriend and I are both college students so we can’t exactly afford luxury right now. The location: Perfect. It was a perfect distance away from town and the shuttle came very often so getting around was never an issue. The beach was only a few minutes away walking distance so that was very convenient. The indoor pool was nice and seemed warmer than most pools which was really good for me. The jacuzzi was great too.

Onto the negatives...

1. I'll start with the picture I just uploaded. The (annex) room that we were in was so DIRTY. We woke up next to tiny little ants running around. ALOT of them. The picture is below is what happened a few minutes after my boyfriend and I killed about 50 other ants. So gross. There were stains on the walls. It was not pleasant at all.
2. Moving on to this "air conditioner" they speak of. I don’t know about everyone else, but in MY room the "AC" was actually a fan. Literally, a fan. And its very loud. Enough said.....
3. Sandcastle guarantees Wi-Fi. Awesome. The only problem is it didn’t work in my room for the first day. Then when we actually got a signal late the next day, the speed was so slow and frustrating we pretty much gave up and worked off our cell phones.
4. The bed was basically broken. It squeaked like crazy and it’s hard and uncomfortable. It was not a comfortable sleep at all.
5. This isn’t a big deal but the big lamp in our room was broken...
6. The walls are super thin, apparently. So um..be prepared to hear anything. *cough cough*
7. And finally, my bf and I were incredibly turned off by the customer service, or lack thereof. It was absolutely awful. The girl at the first desk was so incredibly rude. She was not interested in helping us find our room or letting us know about any activities in the resort. She showed little to no knowledge of the hotel. Regardless of my complaints 1-6, the rudeness and attitude of this employee is enough to ensure that I will not return to this hotel nor will I recommend it to anyone.

I'm being completely honest and I don’t want anyone to experience what I went through. I definitely feel like my money could have been better spent elsewhere.

If you're going to get an annex room here just know that it is literally the definition of basic so don't expect anything fancy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ashlee p
We were very upset by your review but thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We have an ongoing contract with a pest control company. Our beachfront location does present us with some challenges with respect to ants. Had we know, our policy is to move the guest immediately. The Annex is new and wifi has not been installed in the building as yet which is probably why it was so slow. You were almost certainly picking up the signal from the main building. The Annex is nothing more than a small motel room and is intended as the least expensive accommodation in Provincetown. That, however, is no excuse for the lack of service you received. We are reviewing your comments with the management team as anything less than excellent customer service is unacceptable.
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My mother in law was kind enough to let us use one of her timeshare weeks for my husband and I to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. We wanted to be somewhere by the water and that is how we ended up at the Sandcastle. After we booked, I started reading all the reviews and needless to say, I was skeptical about how the place would be. So now after staying there, here is my honest opinion: The resort grounds are well kept, the pool area was nice, but crowded. I definitely would not want a room on the first floor surrounding the pool because everyone can see right into your room and these units have no air conditioning. They have a nice grill and snack shop and the women working there was very sweet. The beach area by the resort was okay, but had a lot of seaweed. We took a ride to the other side and went to Race Point, which was a lovely beach area. I was very disappointed in our room. From the pictures of the place you would think all the rooms had balconies, not the case. We were in the main building and only had a window. I wouldn't have cared so much about not having a water view, but no balcony was a disappointment. We did have air in the main building though. You really need to call and check to see what your room is like and if you have no air, bring a fan. I called before we went to see if we could switch our room, but they were not willing to do it and said I had to go through RCI. When we got there and I asked, the girl at the front desk, who was very sweet, she tried to switch us to a room with a balcony, but we would have had to move three times during our stay. Not exactly what I want to do, pack and unpack and pack again. The room was an efficiency with a murphy bed that was comfortable and really all you need for a beach vacation for two in the room it was fine. It could have been a little cleaner, there was a used towel and a pair of pants hanging on the back of the bathroom door when we checked in which I immediately brought down to the front desk. I guess the maid didn't check the back of the door, so does that mean she didn't clean behind the door? There was also something on the shower curtain and wall by the shower. I guess the maid didn't see that either. I told them at the front desk and they told me it might have been a stain from rusty water. No one ever came to change the curtain, so I wiped it off myself with a wash cloth which I was kind of grossed out over and I have no idea what it was. The maid should have cleaned that up since it came right off. Oh, and the door to our room was hard to open and close. But with the heat and humidity of being by the water, I am sure it takes a toll. Some timeshares don't offer cleaning or towel exchange, but they did here. They did come in once to empty the garbage and exchange our towels, I am not sure if they cleaned the room though, but they did tidy up the murphy bed. I think the new owners have tried to make improvements and I wouldn't say not to try it out for yourself. After all, it is a beach area, nothing fancy, but a good spot if you want to be in the P-town area. We brought our motorcycle up with us and had a great time riding around. They offer excursions you can sign up for and we were even able to borrow a pair of binoculars for the week. They also have towels you can use for the pool and beach so you don't have to bring your own, which is one less thing to pack and wash. I know this is long, but I wanted to give a good picture of our experience. So there you go, sometimes you need to experience things and form your own opinion But, I was happy to find out it was not as bad as some of the reviews I read.

Room Tip: Call and see what kind of room you have. Not all rooms have a/c or balconies.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle B
It is always very helpful to us when we hear honest opinions about how we're doing. While we war pleased with some of your comments, there are some obvious issues of concern here. The housekeeping issue stands out in our minds as we pride ourselves on our cleaning staff. We are reviewing your comments with our staff to correct that situation. As we are a timeshare resort and not a hotel, switching rooms can be quite challenging. For example, we may have empty rooms that are individually owned and are not being used. Because they are individually owned, we cannot make use of them to move an exchange guest. We hope this helps explain some of the limitations we have in moving our guests. We also have 16 different room types and making sure that incoming guests understand what their accommodations will be can be challenging. Rest assured that we will work hard to figure out new ways to better communicate with our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Provincetown
Harbor Hotel Provincetown
Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa
Sandbars on Cape Cod Bay
Sandbars on Cape Cod Bay
#3 of 11 in North Truro

Been to Sandcastle Resort? Share your experiences!