“a place to lay your head”
Review of Gifford House Inn

Gifford House Inn
Ranked #42 of 62 Provincetown B&B and Inns
worcester, ma
“a place to lay your head”
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I liked the breakfast (one less thing to pay for) and I loved that this was so close to the Pied Pier and all the other stuff I like to see when I go to Ptown. This is a basic B&B. I didn't think the service was bad and was grateful for the included parking. I also appreciated that the basic room I paid for (no tv) had a full bath, no sharing. I was out during the club time so no music when I came back. I would recommend it to all my friends on a budget because even with the price increase during the on season, It's definitely cheaper than the other main stream B&B's.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank pookaalp

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
new york, ny
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We loved our stay here. The building is a charming old historic building, but firmly put together. There are nice three bars on the premises. The Purgatory club downstairs is quieter that some of the other dance clubs, except on Sunday leather night, which is lots of fun. There is also a Thai restaurant on premises which we did not try but I hear is very good. Our roomw was small and simple but quite adequate, and we found the queen sized bed very comfortable. The bathroom was quite spacious. There are fewer flashy amenities than in some places (we had to ask for more soap, for example), but frankly, I look at a hotel room as a place to sleep comfortably. The desk staff is courteous and helpful. There is a basic free breakfast in the morning -- toast, cereal, fruit and coffee. And the location is incredible -- right in the center of town but far enough back from Commercial St. to feel peaceful most of the time, even with the hum of the bars downstairs in the evening. And the price is right. This is definitely where I will stay the next time I come to Ptown.

• Liked — location, easy-going atmosphere, in-house bars and clubs
  • Disliked — a tad spartan, but that was really a minor issue
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jareknyc
New England
Reviewed June 1, 2008

If you're looking for a place to stay that has a great location, but you're not picky about the room and not bothered by the smell of cigarette smoke then it's fine.

Right down the street from my favorite eateries (Spiritus Pizza for a late night snack and Cafe Heaven for breakfast). The Thai restaurant connected to the Inn is fabulous, some of the best Thai I've had.

The room is as basic as it comes, the bedding is not good (those acrylic like comforters) but it was a comfortable bed. Due to the club downstairs you hear music from 10-1am but if you don't plan to be in the room during that time then it doesn't matter. There is also a porchside bar which if you are a cigar smoker it's great but you also smell the smoke in the rooms late at night. There is also a duo singing showtunes in the lobby around 10 o'clock.

The staff was pleasant and they do provide you w coffee, fruit and bagels in the morning.

Would stay there again if I went with a group of friends looking to party, wasn't my favorite but the price was ok and again, you can't beat the location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ladytraveler36

Travelers are raving about these Provincetown hotels

Connecticut
Reviewed February 18, 2008

When I found out that my usual bed & breakfast was unavailable due to scheduling conflicts (which were the fault of my travel companions, not the highly-esteemed guesthouse nor mine), I found myself out of my comfort zone. I'd gone for 6 years to the same place and now I needed something else. I contacted many guesthouses of similar merit but none could accommodate me, and a friend suggested the Gifford House. I checked them out online & then called & booked.

When I arrived on-site a few months later to this centrally located establishment, I was pleased with the ample parking reserved for hotel guests and pleased also with the front desk attendant who was both friendly and informative (he told me the house rules and showed me to my room in the most pleasant manner possible). The front lobby area and the stairs and hallway were all clean and being cleaned (the housekeeping staff seemed to be active throughout the late-morning through evening periods daily, and they must be applauded here. I've rarely felt as compelled to leave a generous maid tip as I did here.)

The room was basic to the point of boring, but extremely tidy and set up well. The closet & bureau sufficed for clothes storage, the bathroom was immaculate and well-stocked with linens, and the bed was a utile queen-sized. The room lacked television and A/C but did have a box fan that combined with the idyllic bay breezes P-town offers as a free gift to all its visitors, kept my room perfectly comfortable. The bedding was less than comfortable and the alarm clock didn't work, but my cell-phone alarm solved my wake-up situation, and very few rooms for rent ever have bedding that matches the comforts of home... it's why we return home.

The Thai restaurant is better used for takeout, as the service is a bit sloppy, but the food is great. I only visited the bars once and found the clientele a bit too awkward and declasse for my tastes. This did not trouble me, as bars and nightlife are hardly in shortage in P-town. The continental "breakfast" was worth skipping, as I could get my breakfast needs serviced at Bubalas, Adrians, Edwige or the Portugese Bakery, but to the inn's credit, they did offer one. There are guesthouses charging twice what Gifford House does that offer less in the perks and believe it or not, smaller rooms.

Location and price are high praises for this establishment. My cheap room had a sweet view of both Bradford Street and the Monument, and it was a quick walk down a tiny steep hill into the fray of wonderful oddities that combine to make Commercial Street so vibrant & vital.

My complaints: nightclub noise & traffic, an awkward climb up Carver Street from Commercial Street, and a room that wasn't very artful.

My praises: amazing housekeeping, rates that you are lucky to find in such a boutique destination, a location to be envied despite the hill, and free parking to hotel guests that isn't a tiny broken-shell niche off the road.

• Liked — price, location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — mediocre rooms, poor bedding
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Brandon R
San Francisco
Reviewed February 26, 2007

Poor quality inn, in my opinion, for the money they charge. Bar is dark and sleazy and often filled with low quality types (maybe townies).

Manager is snooty and surly - apparently, professional people with real world accomplishments are beneath him. If he finds the time to serve you, it will not be because you are a fellow person, but only because you pay him. Probably a good place for young dudes who have lower expectations and standards of quality than more experienced travelers.

Attached Thai restaurant is good and also cheap but has terrible servers. Still I'd recommend the food over more expensive places in Ptown. Unfortunately no parking for the inn or the restaurant, but that is Ptown.

Interior is a bit funky and cheap. Does not give the appearance of style or class. Looks like the manager does the repair work himself with left-over materials. Place could use a cleaning.

Location is fairly good - certainly close to town, but not close to the beaches. I'd pass on this place. There are many more inns in Ptown that are much better and may charge less also.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank billandjohn
Boston, MA back bay
Reviewed February 25, 2007

old, not clean either. only good thing is location

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank specialtraveler1
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 22, 2007

Have recently stayed at The Gifford House in for a quiet winter weekend in Provincetown. It is wonderful to have a year round restaurant in the hotel now. The basement nightclub is free to guests of the hotel. The club is one of the top three clubs in town.

I have been staying at The Gifford House Inn for over 12 years.

It keeps getting better - but remains a wonderful escape from
the pressures of the "real world" and even the trendiness that has come to Provincetown.

A drink on the porchbar is relaxing - and you get to enjoy the view of the fully renovated homes and landscaping of the 5 star Brass Key Resort across the street.

The Restaurant is delicious Thai food. The Porchbar is relaxing outside and beautiful inside with vintage gay themed original artwork. The lobby has a Piano Bar with live entertainment. The nightclub has quite a history and brings in the wildest men in town.

While now a relaxed affordable party inn that would not meet the needs of those expecting quiet evenings (at least in the Summer Season), homemade breakfast and 400 count sheets - it does have a history of elegance. Three US Presidents have spent time under the roof on official visits to Provincetown in it's Victorian heyday.

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple