“stayed here a coule of times but never again”
Review of Gifford House Inn

Gifford House Inn
Ranked #44 of 63 Provincetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Gifford House Inn place is pretty basic (except breakfast which is a joke). Good place if you want a no frills mid price place to stay for a night and don't care about the service. I recently cancelled an off season reservation 1 week in advance and was charged $120 cancellation fee, so obviously I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank BostonMike617

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I spent 6 days the end of July into the begining of August at The Gifford House. I was immediately greeted by a friendly desk clerk. I was checked in quickly and told of all the hotel had to offer. My room was bright, very clean and perfectly comfortable. The location centrally located in the heart of everything. I chatted daily with the staff and found each to be as nice as the rest. I would definitely recommend The Gifford House, its all you need for a relaxing low key stay in PTown.
Kevin Crawford

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kevin c
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is my 29th summer visiting P-town and I've stayed in alot of places. This is a charming, mid-range Victorian style hotel. If you're looking for a michelin 5 star hotel, this is not it, but if you want a very livable place with helpful staff, comfortable and clean rooms and central location, then this is a great place. My rooms are always comfortable. The owner, Jim, and his partner work hard to train their staff and make sure they provide good service (not an easy task in a transient, vacation town like Provincetown. The lobby and porch bars are great places for meeting folk. The basement disco may not be your cup of tea, but it, like the town, closes at one so it shouldn't disturb your sleep too badly. I recommend this place to all my friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank comicbear
Reviewed June 12, 2012

we arrived in ptown in the dark with nowhere booked to stay and found this gem of a place. the staff are all very welcoming and friendly. my wife and i spent three fabulous days here. our only drawback with our time there was when we had a car crash but the owners of the gifford house could not do enough for us when they found out what had happened. all in all we had a wonderful time there.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank john h
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I had stayed at the Gifford House Inn this weekend for a really good friends of mine wedding!!! This is the fourth time that i stayed in the inn. And again it was a very great experience. Every time that i stayed it gets better and better!! The staff are always so nice and ready for anything that you should need!! I highly recommend this inn to anyone that is going to Ptown!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vincent M
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Felt welcomed right from the start. The staff is friendly and very helpful with everything. Had very comfortable and quiet rooms overlooking the harbor. Started each morning sitting on the porch having a self-serve breakfast. The location is great. Everything within walking distance. Just steps from the Porchside Bar and Club Purgatory. Great way to end the evening. Walk up the stairs and you're in your room.

Room Tip: Check out the photos of the rooms on the website and tell the person taking the reservation what you...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank StevenW601
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My stay at the Gifford House started off wrong before I even arrived. I made a reservation over the phone and the person taking the call told me the room did not have a television but failed to tell me the room did not include A/C. After double checking the website and reading the fine print that stated only half of the rooms had A/C. I called the hotel to check and see if I had reserved a room with A/C. Of course the room I had reserved did not include A/C and I was told I had to pay an extra $60 a night for a room with A/C. I asked why wasn't I told this at the time of booking and he stated they only tell people in July and August. FYI my stay started September 2 and yes it was hot in Provincetown at that time so AC was needed. Is it really that difficult to waist 4 more seconds of air by telling your paying customer what the room offer or in this case doesn't offer? What really gets me is they didn’t care and they never apologized for the incident. When I asked if I could cancel the hotel management told me I was going to be charge 5% even though I made the reservation just one day earlier. I changed my reservation to the more expensive room with a partial bay view that included A/C.
Once I arrived to the hotel I was seriously disturbed by the food in the teeth of the person checking me in. Not only his leftover lunch the only thing annoying me but this guy was all over the place and very inefficient as it took me 20 minutes to pay, listen to him talk about nothing, and accept the key. After arriving to the room, I found it to be pretty clean with the exception on the rust colored stain under the comforter. The furniture was very old and the bed was the most uncomfortable thing I have eve slept in. The two pillows on the bed were so flat and they should have been replaced several years ago. The internet worked great in the room during my whole stay. Please be aware that the live music from the lobby starts at 10:00pm every night and last until 1:00am. I stayed on the top floor and I could hear every word with my door closed. Also annoying was the housekeeping checks every day around 3:00 pm, the room did not have a do not disturb sign so you got a daily knock from someone asking to check the room after housekeeping had cleaned it. I found the housekeeping staff to be friendly but the front desk staff was just there to be there. On my last day I asked if I could store my bags while I waited on the ferry and the staff told me to sit them in a corner of the lobby and he would watch them, even though I noticed him room to room and behind closed door. Not exactly the lock and key I had in mind for my valuables, I am from a much bigger city so I am more cautious than the locals apparently.
I found the location of the Gifford House to be perfect to the center of town and right in the middle of both of the larger bars in town. As much as I love Provincetown the adventures of trying to find an affordable room with a private bath seems to be never ending. Obviously paying $165 a night plus the insane amount of taxes added on to that was way too much for this place. Here is the thing, these people know they have a captured audience and by the time you get there and realize what you reserved there is no other place to go in such a small town with no vacancies.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo