“End of summer getaway.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, New York, United States
“End of summer getaway.”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is my second time staying at Gabriel's. My dog Roxie and I love it here. We stayed in the Susan room, on arrival to our room they had a plush doggie bed and treats waiting for her. I had the same room last year, the bed is so comfortable, and the bathroom is big. Both Elizabeth's and the staff were so caring and accommodating . Their son Christopher always made us laugh, he was fun to hang out with . I usually don't write reviews, but if you seriously want to have a relaxing time, you should stay at Gabriel's at the Ashbrooke Inn. Believe me you wil be a repeat customer!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
egb102, Owner at The Provincetown Hotel at Gabriel's, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
It was a pleasure to have you back at Gabriel's again! You were so kind to Christopher and he loved watching you bar-b-que. Susan is one of our favorite rooms especially for well behaved pups like yours. See you again soon! Elizabeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here for a week and what a great place.
Check in was the easiest I have ever had! Christopher was very pleasant.
Normally you have to sign papers, show ID, blah, blah, blah. Not here! Christopher gave us our keys and parking permit with great directions to the lot. I asked him "Don't I need to sign something?" He said no and showed us to our room. We had our 2 bassets Dudley and Gracie so being close to the park and off Commercial street was perfect!
The room was very clean and nice and cool! They supplied doggie beds and bowls and sheets to cover the nice spreads. They also gave us a cool poop bag dispenser. They also have ample bags near the front entrance. Breakfast every morning is a total treat! It's a full breakfast too and special orders are taken. By the third day Kirk new I liked scrambled eggs with onions and peppers!
My favorites were the coconut waffles and the potato pancakes. The cherry cheese danish was good too. There is no need to go out for breakfast when you stay here. A little secret I can tell you after we left. They leave home baked cookies for the afternoon. Mmmmmm! I didn't tell a soul while I was there because they were sooo good!
The cleaning staff was very accommodating because of the dogs and worked around their schedules. The Inn is perfectly located and is very quite considering it's in the best location, very easy to get everywhere. No need to get to your car. Oh, I almost forgot the toiletries, first class top notch! We will be staying again!! Just keep the afternoon cookies between us!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bassett Hound and Cookie Lover, Thank you for enjoying Gabriel's as much as we enjoyed having you stay with us! So many guests have enjoyed our toiletries that we have now begun to carry them in retail size for sale. As far as those secret cookies go, you will just have to come back and we promise not to run out! Best, Elizabeth
Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My family (including 2 teenagers) stayed at Gabriels for an end-of-summer getaway that exceeded our expectations! To start with, because of business constraints, we could only get away for 2 nights and Elizabeth (s) made an exception to their 3-night policy to accommodate us, so great and very gracious. After a short wait while we located a staff member, check-in by Christopher was effortless (and a wee bit early since the room was clean and ready) and he was a fountain of information of what to do and see. You know you are in a great spot when the guests who are checking out the same time you are checking in take the time to congratulate you on choosing Gabriels, give you advice on what to enjoy and sing the praises of the Inn and staff. The location is ideal for walking downtown to all the action as well as to/from the Ferry (which we traveled by) and there is a VERY convenient shuttle bus to all major beaches virtually right outside the Inn that runs on the half hour. SInce we arrived by Ferry, we couldn't bring beach "gear" -- no problem, Gabriels supplied it all from beach towels to chairs! Breakfast is probably the best in town and certainly not the "continental" that most serve, this is full on, completely flavorful and very relaxed; their Chef is from Jamaica, an area my husband and I are thoroughly familiar with and had we stayed longer, Chef Kirk had prepared Caribbean flair for us to enjoy -- next time, we promise! The beds are super comfy (my son and husband could have stayed in bed all day!!) and the room was very clean. All Gabriel's staff we encountered were ever so helpful and put up with our family, who tend to be "chatty kathy's" so friendly and welcoming. One would think that the location would tend to be noisy, so close to all but Gabriel's has managed to create an environment both quiet and tranquil amidst a busy area so no worries on that point ... Our only wish was that we could have stayed longer. We will be back!.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
egb102, Owner at The Provincetown Hotel at Gabriel's, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you so much for this informative and great review! We love our location here and enjoy the fact that everything really is within walking distance to Gabriel's. We certainly enjoyed your family and are flattered at your compliment about breakfast especially since your husband is a chef! We do hope you will find time in your busy life to visit again soon!
boston
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed at Gabriels in mid-August for 3 nights in the Jane Goodall room. The room was the perfect size and the bathroom was rather large. The kitchenette was tremendously helpful. As we arrived to Provincetown by boat, we were thrilled with the convenient location of the Inn. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have experienced and the breakfast offerings were simply lovely. The quiche and banana pancakes were our favorites. Thank you for having us and we will certainly be back in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
egb102, Owner at The Provincetown Hotel at Gabriel's, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
We are so glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay! Although we are located just a few blocks from the ferry, you would never know that we are in the center of town once you are in our gardens! Next time you come you will have to also try our chocolate chip pancakes!
Wading River, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I have been going vacationing in Ptown for 30 years and have found Gabriel's guest house to be the best place to stay.
I have recently stayed at Gabriel's for one week to celebrate my 50th with my friends. We couldn't have picked a better place to stay. We were treated like family and hated to leave. I won't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in Willow but have stayed in most of the rooms in Gabriel's. I prefer the larger room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Elizabeth B, Public Relations Manager at The Provincetown Hotel at Gabriel's, responded to this review, May 13, 2016
We are so glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay! Although we are located just a few blocks from the ferry, you would never know that we are in the center of town once you are in our gardens! We are glad to have devoted guests who keep coming back - you make our journey worth it!
Nyack, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed here 3 years ago, had a so so experience. Decided to try again this year in a nicer room, the "Susan".
I'll start with the positives. The location of this Inn is great. It's right in the center of town next to the Pilgrim monument and park. The grounds of the property are charming. They also offer a very nice full breakfast at no extra charge and the staff in the kitchen were so friendly and accommodating. Our room was very spacious.

I'll end with the negatives. Upon check-in, after a few minutes we were greeted by a young man, maybe 17 or 18 years of age. I believe he is the son of the owner. He at first was pleasant enough until we asked for our parking permit to place on the car dashboard. He proceeded to argue with us that he had given it to us, he had not but insisted that he did and we should check our pockets, after just short of calling us liars he went back inside to produce one for us. At this point we looked at it and realized( without being told )they have changed the location of provided parking. It is now further away than the last time we stayed which at that time was around the corner and up the hill. It is a hassle every time you want to drive somewhere. At this point the young man helped us carry in a few bags and led us to our room. Once inside we were not informed of anything in the room, anything regarding the property, really nothing at all. We did ask him how to turn on the air conditioner that was inserted in the wall over a sleeper sofa; he proceeded to climb on the sofa with his shoes on and turned it on. We later found a remote control for it! While he was in the room I showed him that the heat control was set on 90 degrees. He accused me of setting it to 90 degrees, I said I found it like that to which he replied "I think not! " I refrained from losing my temper because obviously he clearly is put in a position that he does not belong in especially during the peak tourist season.

On to housekeeping; upon arrival the floor in the main section of our room was dirty, had to wear socks because my feet were getting dirty and noticed that on the bathroom floor two pieces of tissue that had fallen early in the week remained there for the duration of our stay. I had to clean dirt off of the refrigerator, off of the top of the clothes washer and off of some window sills. Tried to use the clothes dryer but it sounded like it was going to explode and we thought the noise might disturb other guests so we stopped. We also found our door left unlocked twice after housekeeping had been there, we brought it to the attention of one of the housekeepers after the first instance and were told that it must have been one of the young housekeepers that did it, pretty disturbing considering there was no safe in the room. They did change towels daily.

We did not use the tables and chairs outside of our room because they looked like they have not been cleaned in a while. Dirt on the table and dead leaves and cob webs everywhere. While the outside property is charming I believe it would be more enjoyable if someone hosed everything down once a day and swept all of the loose stones on the walkways back where they belong.
We tried to get an itemized bill for our stay when leaving and were told by the same young man behind the front desk that we had been dealing with that he could not help us and that his mother would have to e-mail it to us. I prefer to see what I am being charged for before I leave! It sometimes felt as if there was noone in charge here. In closing I want to say this property may be fine for others but based on how much we paid to stay in the "Susan" our expectations of service, amenities and cleanliness were not met. We won't be returning.

7 Thank DonnaS5
Dear Donna, We are very sorry that your experience at Gabriel’s was less than stellar. We are a small family run business and we take every disappointment to heart. It is hard not to do that when Gabriel’s is the place we have spent 35 years building and calling home.

Our son, Christopher, is learning how to take care of guests and if his manner seemed abrupt, I sincerely apologize. He is working hard to be helpful to all. Young people with Autism have no filters and where he might have thought he was giving you information, you heard it as an argument. It was not meant to offend you. He takes his job seriously and truly wants to please. Honestly, your complaint is the first we have heard about Christopher. In contrast, he has made many positive connections with guests who keep in touch with him year round especially when it comes to a mutual love of movies or sports!

In regards to the parking we provide, we have measured the distance from the inn and it is the same as when we had guests parking up at the Monument which is also up a hill. The current lot is attended and is a 5 minute walk away. Parking is an option at Gabriel’s, not a requirement, and a guest can alternatively choose to park on the street or in the nearby public lots. We only offer parking as a convenience as there is limited parking downtown in Provincetown. Many guests do not use their car once they have arrived as we are so close to everything and they often opt to walk or rent a bike.

As to the thermostat in your room that was set to 90 degrees. During the summer months, when the temperature is often 80 degrees or above, the fireplaces, that are controlled by the thermostat that you mention, are turned off so it does not matter what the setting is as it is non functioning.

Our housekeepers cried when they read your criticism about the room. They take a huge amount of pride in having the rooms spotlessly cleaned. I inspected the room myself after reading this review and was puzzled as to what you found. Regardless, we ripped the room apart over several hours in response to your comments and cleaned it twice from top to bottom. The deck has been stripped, bleached and sealed.

For the security of our guests, all finances relating to your stay are handled only by us, the owners, in our back office. When you make a reservation, the cost of your room is itemized and totaled. This complete information is sent to you in your email confirmation before you arrive. Balances are also clearly stated. We are always available to answer any questions about charges if the confirmation you received in email was not clear. We are on the property at all times. We live here.

In closing, we only wish wish wish you had brought all of these issues to our attention while you were here so we could have had the opportunity to explain or remedy the concerns. We only want to correct deficiencies if they exist. We only want you to be happy. I am sorry that we failed you and trust you will have a better experience the next time you come to Provincetown. Sincerely, Elizabeth, innkeeper
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family and I had a wonderful stay here. The four of us could not have asked for a better location. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and good conversation with the guests and owner. We will definitly return as the accomodations were perfect for my wife and I and my two sons, 9 and 11. The room was clean and comfortable. The chef and staff for breakfast were delightful and attentive to any requests we had. We loved Provincetown and will stay here again!

Room Tip: The Susan room was superb!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Tony K
Thank you kindly for a warm review.
You yourself are welcome to come stay at our centrally-located Provincetown Hotel at Gabriel's at any time of the year - you will find quiet and relaxation at the very center of town here. We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Provincetown
Harbor Hotel Provincetown
Brass Key Guesthouse
Brass Key Guesthouse
#8 of 15 in Provincetown
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Been to The Provincetown Hotel at Gabriel's? Share your experiences!