“Not much of a resort”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Provincetown
Washington, DC
“Not much of a resort”
Reviewed September 16, 2007

The rooms are in dire need of upgrades, which we could have overlooked, but were also in need of a very thorough cleaning. The door to our room was broken and would randomly open throughout the night. The woman at the front desk was less than friendly, as if we were bothering her by checking in to the hotel. As previous posts have pointed out, the music from the tea dance is very loud so if you don't plan to attend, you will likely need to leave the hotel from 4-7pm every night. I would recommend this hotel for those who want to attend the tea dance or gay singles just looking for a place to crash for the night. You will be disappointed if you are expecting any type of a "resort".

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty/not well kept rooms, unfriendly staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Jaquianne

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Woonsocket, RI
Reviewed September 5, 2007

The hotel is very convenient since it's right on Commercial St. I imagine the afternoon tea dance is a great thing but the weather was only iffy while I was there.
The room I had was very simple. The decor was nothing to write home about but I just needed to sleep there. I am hard-of-hearing but my partner complained that the walls are too thin and could hear the activities of people in other rooms and, as we were overlooking the deck, he could hear the workers preparing the deck each morning after 8am.
The coffee and juice were excellent in the continental breakfast.
Was I impressed? No. Would I stay there again? Possibly but there are a lot of options available to those who plan ahead. I don't plan ahead and I certainly do not regret having stayed there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room had a terrible paint job and very faded artwork even though it was clean.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Simon-Vongvilay
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I'm not usually a picky travelor who complains and this is my first time I have been driven to write a review because this place was so awful.My wife and I returned from an overnight stay at the Boatslip.First off we get there,get into our room and for over $200 dollars a night I expected something at least decent.The decor and condition of the room was very poor ,very old not updated anytime in the past few decades.But this I could have overlooked. The room was like an oven,the heat and humidity hit you right in the face the second you walk in.Theres no AC.That just blew my mind.This is not cleary advertised anywhere on the website that I can see otherwise I would never have stayed there.We had an oceanview room so I figured well if theres no AC,we can sleep with the door open.Nope.There are no screens on the balcony,just a sliding door.So if you have to sleep with the door open,you will be eaten alive by bugs and in the middle of the summer,you pretty much have no choice.I have never stayed in a hotel that had no AC.especially a place charging as much as they charge claiming to be a resort! Instead of AC,There was an old dirty fan covered with dust and if you use that forget about hearing the ocean outside.Then there was what looked like half eaten peanuts by the bed,so they didnt vacumm very well,and there was some very disturbing ,disgusting lets just call them tell tale stains on the headboard.Immediately I called the front desk to see if it were possible to get a refund and find another place to stay.I was told the manager was "around" and the person at the desk would find him and call back.Finally after waiting in the hot room for over an hour I called again,then I was told a supervisor would be in in another couple of hours and the desk person couldnt tell me if I could get a refund and the manager could not be found.So now a couple of hours pass by and our trip is already off to a bad start just because of this place.At 4,the tea dance starts.Which I knew they had there but I had no idea of that the music would make the walls in your room shake.I call the front desk,still no sign of the manager so a refund at this point I figured is just not going to happen.I mentioned the noise which if not for everything else I really wouldnt have cared.So he nicely finds a "quieter" room for us.We switch rooms and needless to say it was right over the pool and deck,so it seemed even louder then the first.After three hours we decide we have no choice but to stay and deal with heat and another dirty ,old room.At least the headboard in this room seemed cleaner.The whole day went by and we never heard from a manager or supervisor despite the desk person trying to find someone to talk to me a few times.Later at night,my wife went to get a soda from the machine.The coke costs $3.00 ,normally $1.25 at most coke machines.Another rip off.And you can hear Everything in the hallways all night.Every foot step.Anyway, we finally go to check out the next day and the manager is all of a sudden at the desk to ask how our stay was.We told them about the ac and the dirty rooms and the deskperson said I called you and told you but you were "resting" and the manager just smirked and said "oh yeah".So it seems to me this place way over charges for everything and doesnt put any money back into the hotel at least for some air conditioning for its guests and a manager who gets to play around and "rest" (um,yeah)and mingle all day with the guests and not pay attention to actually running a hotel.Must be a great job!And I mean absolutely no money is put into making the amenities better for their guests.And I forgot to mention that continental breakfast for them consists of a basket of blueberry muffins and apples and coffee.For over $200 a night you get no ac,the cheapest breakfast imaginable,8 dollar drinks,3 dollar sodas and dirty rooms that were last updated by the looks of it in the 60's.Not worth it for the whole tea dance.The tea dance is cool and everything,but much more worth it to stay at a nicely decorated ,comfortable,updated hotel or B&B that actually gives you your moneys worth and pay admission to go to the tea dance.Plus you can leave it whenever you want and not feel like theres a club inside your room..I have been to P town hundreds of times and paid as much for a beautiful room,airconditioning ,water view and a full,fresh continental breakfast in the morning with the works and above all,clean rooms!Never again!Trust me,stay somewhere else and just go the tea dance if thats your thing.

• Stayed July 2006
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boatslip, General Manager at Boatslip Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2006
I first want to apologize for all the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay. Our number one priority is guest service. We want everyone who stays here to have a memorable experience. It seems that we did not handle your situation appropriately. If a guest has a concern the guest service agents are instructed to contact the Manager on Duty, who is available 24 hours a day; this did not happen. I believe this is a training issue, and I have already addressed this with the Front Desk Manager to insure this does not happen in the future. We should never take a guest concern lightly. I agree that the guest rooms are in need of renovation. But, our housekeeping staff is very dedicated to keeping the rooms clean. It seems that the housekeeper who cleaned your room did not do a respectable job. I have talked to the Housekeeping Manager to insure that all details in in the guest rooms are not overlooked. Our room and liquor prices are in line with other establishments in the area, however if we do not fulfill our obligation to great guest service, clean rooms and a fun environment, we have failed. I believe in your situation we did just that. Again, I am sorry. If you would please contact me at the Boatslip, so that I could follow-up with you, I would appreciate it.

Travelers are raving about these Provincetown hotels

Reviewed July 13, 2005

I just spent 2 nights at the Boatslip. I am a frequent traveler, experienced with many different types of hotels, and to call this place a 'resort' is a real stretch. I would class it as a sea side Days Inn with a pool. To be fair, Cape Cod hotel standards are really hit and miss anyway, most of the owners seem to take the attitude that the marks will keep coming no matter what. They may be right, but for well over 200/night I expect a bit more.

On the plus side, the place is relatively clean and they seem to try to keep it that way, the room was tidy but a bit worn. The shower/tub surround was newly installed, but the fixtures were old and very rusty, they could use replacing. We arrived on a 94 degree day, and the room was unbearably hot. There is NO air conditioning anywhere in the place except the owner's suite. There is a nice ceiling fan to blow the hot air from the uninsulated roof right down onto you, but little else. Mercifully the weather broke and after about midnight on night one it was much better.

The hotel's claim to fame is the daily 'Tea Dance', which draws a large local crowd. This event seems to be the entire reason for the hotel's existence, everything else STOPS when Tea Dance is going on. The pool closes at 4 to accomadate the dance, and many of the hotel entrances and stairways are blocked off so that the guests cannot escape the cover charge. As a hotel guest, you don't have to pay the cover, but with drink prices at $7-8 it won't really matter that much. Now unless you're up for loud dance music (and I mean your floor will be vibrating), you will have to escape somewhere from 4-7 each day. There's no afternoon napping at the Boatslip. I like going to clubs and all, but I don't want them brought to my door every day. There is no choice here, the entire place rocks for those 3 hours. Speaking of rocking, did I mention that you'll hear (and feel) every footfall in the corridor outside your room as well?? There was one occasion where we actually thought someone was IN our room when they were walking around in the next room.

Bottom line, if you're a single gay guy looking to hook up, then this might be the place for you. If you're a couple wanting a nice place to relax, this is probably NOT your hotel. If you're looking for 3+ star comfort, this is not probably not your place either. There is clearly a reason why they had the Vacancy sign out during Bear Week when most other places were full.

• Stayed July 2005
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2005

Boatslip is where the boys stay... most room have great view over the ocean and the swimmingpool, the staff is great, close to resturants, bars, clubs, free parking, wireless internet in lobby, and simple continental breakfast. This is where everyone goes on the weekends for the Tea Dance so it is quite cool to stay there also. Beaches are few miles away.

Everything about Boatslip gets 5 stars *****, except the quality of the rooms, but the one I had was getting very very old.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed March 20, 2004

Some things never change....and that's a good thing at the Boatslip. My second visit was like watching a good movie for the second time. My recommendation is to book the corner room shown on the cover of the brochure. This gives you the option of partying on the deck or in the privacy of your room while still being feet from the boys....or whomever you prefer. The views are great and location is tops.
EXCELLENT !!!

4 Thank PittsburghGuys
Reviewed July 9, 2003

The hottest club on Ptown...the staff were EXTRA friendly and gorgeous.....no attitude here. The greeter Jay, looked like he just stepped out of GQ. Can't wait to get back there...

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member