“The Whydah Museum”
Review of Whydah Museum

Whydah Museum
Ranked #22 of 74 things to do in Provincetown
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've been through once and found it much better than I expected. There's so much interesting information. I'd love to go through again because there was so much to absorb. However, I'm always with my dog and the Whydah, as with all museums don't allow dogs and understandably.

2  Thank Donna T

Reviewed October 15, 2013

the artifacts are the attraction here, the different cannon that were recovered along with other weapons, items related to the slave trade, different types of coins - as well as some other everyday items from life aboard the ship - I agree with the review about touching some of the artifacts - it really helps transport you back on time.

1  Thank MassHouse
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is an amazing exhibit; it contains treasures and artifacts from the world's ONLY authenticated pirate ship! I was blown away by the information and the artifacts. It was especially worth the cost of admission just to touch one of the pieces of eight - and they let you touch five different ones, and several cannons from the ship. I am flabbergasted that anyone would complain about this place; it is a PRIVILEGE to get to see even one piece of this private collection. The people complaining here obviously have no idea what they saw nor the historical magnitude they represent. It is not meant to be a Disney attraction with flashy fancy interactive nonsense. This is the real thing and the artifacts are the star. If you have kids, you need to explain to them what they are seeing, just as you should in ANY museum. With the exception of their traveling exhibit, this is the place on the planet to see REAL AUTHENTIC pirate stuff. The museum in St. Augustine Florida and the museum claiming to have Black Beards shipwreck are NOT authentic. This is the real stuff. So these people who are complaining here are out of their minds.

BTW, I've seen the traveling exhibit, which is operated by National Geographic. With the exception of the bell, it is pretty much the same types of things as the Museum, so anyone who would complain that "the good stuff is on tour" has no idea what they are talking about. They are truly ignorant.

2  Thank RevJim
Reviewed September 3, 2013

As the daughter of a historian and a former history museum employee, I have been to countless history museums in my lifetime. This was one of the worst- if not THE worse- museum I have ever visited. There was little or no interpretation of the artifacts, no real flow or sequence to the exhibits and very little historic context was provided. Honestly, I got more out of the museum website pre-visit. As my husband said, they managed to make a fascintating piece of history seem downright boring. Even my 7 and 8 year old boys were bored. We paid $36 for a 10 minute visit and learned little to nothing

1  Thank KathSnide
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is something fun to do while visiting Provincetown or on a rainy day. It is a small museum but very informative about pirates and history of the Whydah. This is family friendly and kids would love it. Not something you need to do every time you are there just once is enough.

1  Thank Abby J