“We'll return - fantastic weekend away”
Review of 8 Dyer Hotel

8 Dyer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 64 Provincetown B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 18, 2014

At the tail end of our visit, a few of us were sitting around the living room at this inn after a fantastic breakfast, sipping delicious coffee, with sun streaming in the two-story high windows, trying to figure out how to give this inn the highest rating while still ensuring there would be room for us when we want to return. I'll just say it - wow. We had a wonderful time. We definitely want to go back.

Over the years, we've stayed at many places in Ptown, coming away with fond memories of some and funny stories (in hindsight) from others. This inn is now at the top of my list.

Our hosts, Steve and Brandon, were warm, helpful, funny, kind, and best of all, welcoming. I love the architecture of this place - it is visually pleasing and incredibly practical. We had a first-floor room that is small but everything had a place. (There was way more storage space than we could ever fill up.) Just two steps and we were in the living room, where there was usually a fire going in the fireplace, coffee and tea available, and drinks in the evening. Their place is walking distance from our favorite restaurants in town and just up the street from the beach.

We had invited a couple to join us - always a risk when you haven't actually experienced the place yourself. What a relief that they expressed our own thoughts - it felt like we'd gotten together and rented our own place for the weekend. It was just that comfortable. And the breakfasts - so over the top delicious. (Thank you, Brandon, the mastermind of that kitchen!)

I should also mention that most B&Bs in Ptown are a little grimy regardless of the care shown to cleanup. This place is impressively immaculate. That and a recent paint job and everything looks crisp and perfect.

One afternoon it snowed and after a walk through town, we came back, curled up on the couch, and just hung out reading, talking to other guests (and our hosts), having an occasional hot drink, and just vegging. What else are you supposed to do on vacation?

Thank you so much, Steve and Brandon - you have created a wonderful place. We will be back!
- Liz and Robert.

Room Tip: We peeked in several of the rooms. They're all thoughtfully designed and each has its own charm...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank koathe
8_Dyer_Innkeepers, Owner at 8 Dyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Liz and Robert:

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your favorable feedback and more importantly, thank you for staying with us! The best part about running an inn is meeting such great people!

We really appreciate your comment that our website does not oversell our rooms. As travelers ourselves, we know how bitterly disappointing it is to find that the room looks nothing like the pictures or that none of the advertised features are available. So, it is by design that we set a high but achievable standard and then try to exceed it. Our goal is to delight our guests.

In the coming months we will be introducing some new features in the rooms and look forward to your feedback on these changes.

We very much look forward to your return visit, and until then, be well!

Brandon and Steve

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I decided that it was time to get out of town for a little rest and relaxation. I had never been to Provincetown before and knew going into this that it would be the off-season. I set my expectations low for my over all trip but still wanted to find a place that I knew I would be comfortable in the event there wasn't much to do or see. Not only did I find a great place to stay but I was able to fill up my day even in the dead of winter!

First, the house... after parking my car (which was included) I was greeted by both Steve & Brandon, the property owners/innkeepers. The front door opens directly into the great room which just called out to me! I love the wall colors, the furniture, their great collection of sculptures (check out the 'wall climbers') and one-of-a-kind paintings, and a ROARING fireplace. I was told that I was the only guest staying that night so, I was not expecting them to have pulled out all the stops. The music was chill, the room was warm.... I knew instantly that this was were I would be hanging out to do the bit of work I had brought with me. Although the pool was closed for the winter, a wall of windows points directly to it and lets tons of natural light into the great room. I thought to myself, "I will be sunning out on that patio and taking a dip in the pool." BUT, not to worry about lack of any water relaxation.... next on the tour was the hot tub and sauna room. I somehow totally looked over this on their website and was super excited. I hadn't even seen my room yet and I loved the place!

My room was on the second floor (Penthouse 2) which was equally as stunning as the common areas of the house. The bed was super comfortable, there was even a second floor level that had a whirlpool tub. The bathroom was en suite and was stocked with luxury bathroom products and great Turkish Towel Company linens (I liked the towels so much that I plan on ordering them!). Refrigerator, glasses, a wet bar area, utensils, USB outlets, lots of plug-ins, and super clean... like, not a speck of dust ANYWHERE clean. Bravo to their housekeepers!! The place was spotless.

Breakfast each morning was great too. Again, I was the only person staying at the house, yet in the morning, there was a breakfast buffet of bagels, muffins, yogurt, teas, coffees, espressos, fresh fruit, a caprese salad, fresh fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice... and that's just want I can remember! All that I was was still asked if I wanted bacon and eggs. When I was told the scrambled eggs were scrabbled in duck fat, how could I say no?!?!? Also, I noticed Brandon was cooking with organic eggs... he didn't point it out but still, I was impressed (and they were the most delicious scrambled eggs I have ever ate).

As for things to do in the winter: lots of shops are closed for the season but there are still a lot open along Commercial Street, especially during the day. There are a multitude of art galleries from paintings to sculpture... most everyone had a sign to call for an appointment. I was interested in a specific piece at Adam Peck Gallery. Although they were closed, within 30 minutes, someone was there to meet me. Buying my house sculpture and having is shipped was easy. Besides window shopping, take a walk on the beach (lots of locals out walking their dogs), enjoy a cup of coffee at an independent coffee shop, and say hello to a local you'll pass on the street... everyone was friendly and happy to see someone walking around town.

Dinners were great but I'll review them separately.

Overall, my three days in Provincetown, in the middle of February, was super relaxing and I wouldn't hesitate to go back during the winter in a heart beat. To have the inn to myself, the great attention by the innkeepers, the friendly people of the town, and great food was amazing. Book a weekend getaway or mid-week if you really want to feel like you have your own private home!

Room Tip: I got a chance to look at all the rooms... Penthouse 10 and Room 11 were my favorite (big rooms) but...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank esfullerbeatty
8_Dyer_Innkeepers, Owner at 8 Dyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Dear Portland Innkeeper:

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are so pleased you enjoyed your winter getaway to Provincetown and that you stayed with us at 8 Dyer Hotel.

Your review of the inn and Brandon's breakfast was very thorough and we are glad you enjoyed everything. Since you are an innkeeper, your praise means so much to us!

Please come stay with us again, so we can take care of you.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

My fiance and I spent a weekend recently at 8 Dyer Hotel in Provincetown, and what a terrific
experience! From the moment we arrived, until we reluctantly left two days later, we felt welcomed and cared for by the gracious owners Steve and Brandon. Provincetown has a different feel in the winter; we love visiting the few galleries and restaurants that are open, chatting with the proprietors (can't do this in summer!) and enjoying the serene beauty of the harbor and dunes. To get back to the inn; the guest rooms surround an atrium-like great room, where we felt totally comfortable "hanging out" by the wood fire, reading, watching the sun set behind the monument, and sipping cups of specialty tea. Well, I drank the teas, my boyfriend ate the fresh fruit and chocolate candy that seemed to appear for his snacking pleasure. Other reviewers have noted the soothing colors, uncluttered decor, the excellent beds and room amenities, and the truly delicious breakfasts, and we found the same exceptional standard in these areas. The room and bath were immaculate and the housekeeping staff just as lovely and accommodating as the hosts.The only possible, and minor criticism we can offer is that the configuration of the shower door in our room was a bit awkward; the owners have an upgrade planned to remedy this. Still, we would reserve this room again, because we want to relax on that gorgeous private deck in warmer weather... overlooking the pool...
What sets this inn apart from others is the genuine enthusiasm Steve and Brandon have for providing their guests with the highest level of hospitality. We plan to be back soon, and will highly recommend 8 Dyer Hotel to all our friends and family who visit Ptown.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ladydancer773
8Dyer, Manager at 8 Dyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear ladydancer773:

Thank you for taking the time to leave positive feedback. As we told you, we love our work because we have such wonderful guests and you two were so engaging and fun that we enjoyed hosting you very much. I am glad you liked hanging out and enjoying the Great Room; it is designed for our guests to enjoy all of the great amenities or just sitting and doing nothing.

As for the tight bathrooms, as you mention, we will continue to renovate to make the bathrooms easier to maneuver in.

Please come back and see us again, soon!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My fiancée and I stayed at 8 Dyer over MLK weekend and couldn't have asked for better hosts than Steve and Brandon. The room (P2) was gorgeous and the food was amazing. We were there to plan our wedding in June and will highly suggest this place to all our friends and family. You can't go wrong booking here!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wblack78
8Dyer, Owner at 8 Dyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear wblack78:

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay!

We enjoyed having you and will take good care of your wedding guests this summer. We'd love to buy you gentlemen a congratulatory cocktail when you are back in town!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Wow! I just spent two nights at 8Dyer and I plan to go back, not only before the summer season arrives (I live locally so enjoy the proximity and off-season rates) ... but it's one of few places in Provincetown that I would consider paying in-season rates, here's why: everything about 8 Dyer contributes to the overall experience of being taken care of -- its not just the innkeepers, it's the design of the space, the furnishings and amenities that deliver a sense of welcome, comfort and continual attention to detail...all without fuss.

The room was perfectly laid out with a wet bar & fridge, fireplace and a tv hidden behind cabinet doors and an iron/ironing board hidden behind a small mirror. Bose radio/cd player was perfect and on a rainy Saturday we watched a dvd from our bed with the gas fireplace adding ambiance and warmth. Towels, linens and even the waffle weave robe were cottony soft.

Breakfast was best ever...and I'm comparing to Relais Chateaux, Nob Hill, NYC & other standout dining/brunch buffets. Evening apertif, homemade biscotti, fresh fruit bowl were some of the touches that contributed to an ongoing sense of delight and wonder at extent of caretaking this inn offers.

Our room #10 was a good size (I was worried based on one other comment...but no need) and would be amazing in good weather with its own private deck. The bathroom was the only place, stepping in and out of the shower, that I felt crowded...once in the shower the water pressure and bath amenities washed away my mild discomfort at navigating between the toilet and the folding shower door...and afterwards, the towels were thick and comforting. Such a minor inconvenience and I plan to book this room again, but felt I should mention this one awkward space I encountered. So this is the only reason that the room is rated very good, not excellent.

8 Dyer welcomes, delivers and then stands back to let you enjoy the quality & ambiance that its modern design, intimate size and engaging innkeepers offer guests smart enough and lucky enough to land a room at this Provincetown gem.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ManitoMarsh

Dear ManitoMarsh:

We appreciate your taking the time to provide your thoughts on your stay at 8 Dyer Hotel. We are so happy you enjoyed all of our amenities and your room. To compare our breakfast to Nob Hill and NYC is high praise indeed! We are proud of the local items we have sourced and try to ensure that we offer the best seasonal items.

We look forward to your return to 8 Dyer Hotel!

Best,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

My partner and I spent the weekend before Christmas here for a getaway from Southern Maine. We booked the hotel on a recommendation from friends who had stayed their prior. Because of work commitments, we had to arrive very late the first night, and I emailed the owner to see if that was OK. Not only was it OK, but they went out of their way to make sure we felt welcomed and had our room key when we arrived after midnight. Steve and Brandon had an incredible meal prepared both mornings, and were incredibly friendly, full of suggestions on what to do, and catered to our every need. The rooms were reasonably priced and very luxurious, we stayed in "Penthouse 3", and it was just perfect. We will most certainly make this our choice for lodging for our future visits to Provincetown.

Room Tip: Penthouses are great and in my opinion, well worth the extra charge.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brandon G
Manager_8DyerHotel, Owner at 8 Dyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Brandon G:

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to leave such a positive review on Trip Advisor. We look forward to your next visit!

You mention that we went out of our way to make sure you felt welcomed. We just consider it the basic art of hospitality. We hope that everyone who stays with us feels as you do. We also agree that the Penthouses are real gems and offer just a bit more space and luxury.

Please come stay with us again!

Steve Katsurinis

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I had not been to PTown in over 8 Years, and it was at least 10 years since I stayed at a Bed & Breakfast. I have never been happier with a decision on where to stay. Loved the fact that 8 Dyer is modern-day construction, a rare find in PTown. The Hosts, Brandon and Steve, made me feel like I was a member of their family stopping in for a Long Weekend Visit. These genuine, friendly owners were so generous with their time, attention and conversation. The guest room was gorgeous, and I could nap forever on their Lobby Couch next to the crackling fireplace. My favorite part? The Morning Breakfast - it was ridiculously delicious. What a spread that Brandon prepared for us! I will be back, and I will be recommending 8 Dyer to all my family and friends. Worth every penny spent for a Winter's Getaway, and I cannot wait to come back in the Summer!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EdwardRBeach

Dear Ed Beach:

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of 8 Dyer Hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We have been so blessed to have had wonderful guests, such as you, stay with us to mark significant dates like birthdays. You are right; winter in Provincetown is a special time. We hope you return soon to stay and enjoy our seasonal breakfasts and the amenities that summer and fall offer in Provincetown.

Again, thank you for staying and your kind words about our inn.

Steve Katsurinis