“Something Extra” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Provincetown
Worcester, MA
“Something Extra”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

We booked the hotel for a birthday get-away. We got a special of buy one night get a second free so the price was right. At check-in the girl did not say one word to us other than giving us our room key and directions to the room. The room was right on the ocean with an absolute gorgeous view. We had a sliding glass door that opened onto a shared balcony that looked onto a beach and Provincetown Harbor. The room had newer carpet and smelled very clean. I was expecting much worse after reading some other reviews but was pleasantly surprised.
I started to unpack and opened the drawer of the bedside table. I was greeted by a **device** that another person had left behind. I was so disgusted! I went to the front desk and discreetly told the manager about this **device**. She apologized and said she would move us to a suite. She gave us the room key and we packed up our things to move. When we got to the "suite" it was not so sweet. It was an identical room to ours except with two robes. The carpet was much older and stained and the sliding door did not lock. So, we moved back. The manager removed the **device** from the drawer and cleaned it with bleach. She did not offer us anything else until we checked out. She gave a voucher for 15% off if we stay in 2009. I don't know that we will ever go back there.
The walls were very thin and we heard every little thing from the people above us and from either side of us.
Overall the room was adequate (coming from someone who always stays at very nice places). The view and location would be the only reasons we would consider staying there again.
Check your drawers and be prepared for something you never thought you would see! Ewww!

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — The **device**
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Honeymooners92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2008

It was a good bargain for the area, our room was poolside and had been recently renovated although signs of age and heavy use were still evident. I expected a great view and was disappointed as the beach next to the hotel was small and not clean.It is necessary to drive to Race Point Beach for the breathtaking views and beautiful beach one expects. I would not stay in Provincetown again,but choose one of the many other small towns that would meet my personal needs better.

• Liked — breakfast decent, fair price for the area
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank sachem
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

I stay at the Surfside Inn every summer, usually several times. This summer I could only go once, for four nights with a group of friends. We were there during Carnival in mid August, which was fun.

We always pay the extra to stay on the ocean side of the hotel. This year, we spent one night on the pool side of the street (the property is two buildings across Commercial Street). We were very happy with the remodeling they had done on the pool side rooms. Ours were on the top floor (three or four, I forget) and there was no elevator. I did not like that part.

On the ocean side there is an elevator and the views of the bay are so pretty. The cost is much higher, as you might expect. The rooms do need a facelift now, but the beds are comfy and there is a small fridge, a microwave and coffee maker. I bring my own filters and coffee so we make it in the room. The breakfast is expanded continental, no eggs but there are waffles, cereal, yogurt, fruit and juice, bagels etc. I still prefer to walk into town in the morning and eat a special breakfast at Cafe Heaven.

There is a decent restaurant next door too, Fanizzi's. You can walk to Angel Foods (a pricey gourmet market) which is right across from the Provincetown art museum. Walking past the beautiful gardens and people's homes is half the fun!

It is not loud at night, not near the craziness in town. But I do go for the craziness! I just don't want to try to sleep with it going on. The pool at the Surfside is nice, usually some children around, and lots of every kind of person. I like the atmosphere. The beach is lovely!

The staff at the Surfside are GREAT! So nice, so helpful. Provincetown does not have many hotels like this one, where you have it all. There are usually many B&Bs and another big motel at the other end of town, but this is the best for location and quality.

• Liked — Views of the ocean
  • Disliked — Cost of ocean side room!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank thedeb
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

I have been to P-town many times before, but never stayed at the surfside. We chose it primarily because it was pet friendly. The staff were nice. The rooms were just ok. The room was fairly clean, but the bathroom could have been better. The shower had mold in it. I didn't think housekeeping worked all that hard at cleaning the rooms. Mostly they came in made the beds and exchanged towels if you desired. I think they should have wiped the vanity down and vacuumed daily or at least every other day. The room had a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. My advice--make coffee in your room, the coffee they give you in the lobby is aweful. Breakfast was ok. Waffles were good. If you have an issue with stairs be sure to get a ground floor room or request the building with the elevator. One building is all stairs, the other has an elevator. The pool was clean and nice to hang out in. I would stay here again only if I had my pets with me, otherwise I would go to a B & B.

• Liked — pet friendly
  • Disliked — should have been cleaner
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed here from the 12th to the 18th of August this year, and I have to say, it was a good choice of hotel. We had one of the waterside rooms, with a balcony overlooking the sea and beach, which was really nice. Okay, the balcony is shared, but once you overlook people passing your window, it’s a really great view to start your day or to relax after an evening on the town. The location isn’t bad, just over 1km to the centre of P-Town along Commercial street, about 10 minutes walk at a leisurely pace, and we found it nice to leave the hustle of the town centre to return to a quieter area to sleep.

The rooms were clean and spacious, although in need of some decoration, and the air con worked (albeit it sounded like a harrier jump jet landing on your balcony, so you wont be leaving it on over night!). I know some people here mentioned noise around the pool, but to be honest we never heard anything in our room expect the lapping of waves on the beach when the balcony door was open. The staff here were fantastic, a real selling point for staying here, and we found them really helpful and a great source of advice for our stay. There is a pool available, and they have free WiFi in the receptions area, as well as a PC for guests use if you don’t have a laptop with you.

On the down side, I thought the room was a little pricey for what you got, and I would advise you give the breakfast a miss, it really wasn’t up to much. I’d recommend Café Heaven (near the town hall) for a fantastic breakfast experience, but arrive early, there were queues to get in here. Security in the room was a bit of a worry initially:- the bathroom window (which opened to a public balcony) had no lock on it at all, so it could be opened from the outside, and the door lock on the sea side balcony was flimsy at best. Although the hotel will provide you with a small safety deposit box at no charge for things like passports and cash, this isn’t much good if you have larger items of value like a laptop. Having said that, we had no issues, and everything was as we left it in the morning. Another negative, there is a large cap park for hotel guests, but at the weekend, it was almost impossible to get a spot after 7pm.

Overall, I would recommend this place to stay, especially if you get one of the water-side rooms, and we certainly enjoyed out stay there and would definitely try here again when we return.

When in P-Town I would recommend the whale watching (we used Dolphin Fleet), it was a fantastic experience, and delivered what they said they would. As for eating, the Art House does a nice breakfast (but you’ll have to contend with their awkward ordering process), although Café Heaven tops our recommendations. We found Bubala’s is a nice spot for evening dining and a great people watching spot, and for really great sushi and superb staff try the Monkey Bar a few doors down. A car is kind of a must of you want to explore the Cape, but you’ll find P-Town is the real jewel and you won’t be disappointed!

• Liked — Great staff, nice location, superb view from the water side rooms.
  • Disliked — Decor was in need of updating, and the safty of items in the room was a concern.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ExplorerIreland
Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

Had a courtside room with a king bed. The outside carpeting is really in need of replacing. There was mold and mildew growing on it everywhere. The interior carpeting on our floor did look new as did the carpeting in the room. It's nice to have a fridge in the room, along with microwave and coffee maker, neither of which I used, I need good strong coffee. The first thing I did was check the bathroom, I have a thing about dirty bathrooms, the toilet and sink were fine but there was a huge black hair sticking out of a face cloth that was on the rim on the tub, you COULD NOT MISS IT, there was also another long black hair in the tub. Tub is very old, had cracks in it. Air worked fine, bed was clean and very comfortable. Had no issues with the room being cleaned and bathroom supplies being replaced, that was all goo. Pool was adequate (we only used it once, prefer the ocean). Never had the breakfast but it looked good. Staff was friendly. Good location, not in the thick of things so it's quiet but close enough to walk to town in 15 minutes. Great for if you have pets or small children. Also had wireless access in our 3rd floor room without having to call the desk and asking for a password, that annoys me. Would definately stay there again.

• Liked — comfy bed and fridge in room
  • Disliked — needs updating and could be a little cleaner
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

The hotel is drab from the outside but gets better as you reach the reception area.

It is a 10 -15 min walk from the centre of Provincetown along Commercial Street and located at the end of the art gallery area which includes some excellent restaurants.

I had a courtside room which overlooked Commercial Street. It had a door on an inner corridor and one on the outer terrace area which had a glimpse of the sea in between 2 buildings.

On arrival my room was very spacious, clean, had a fridge, iron , coffee making machine (very weak coffee) and microwave but had a strange smell which was evident every time I entered. I think it was because it was carpeted and because of the heavy rain that had fallen before my visit.

On my 2nd evening I had a bath using some muscle relaxing bath oil for my tired muscles. This left a slight ring around the bath and it wasn't cleaned for the duration od my stay. I also got the impression that the bathroom was not checked at all as the shampoo etc was not replaced nor were the plastic glasses although the paper cups for the coffee were replaced daily.

The TV had several channels to choose but the AC did not cool the room. This was not a big problem as the weather was not very hot and the evening temp dropped to the low 60's but it was considered unseasonal weather for August.

The breakfast was OK but very crowded.

If you don't like dogs (I do) don't stay here as they are everywhere.

Overall, it was fine and I really didn't have any complaints, I also found the staff to be very helpful.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The smell in the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Provincetown
Harbor Hotel Provincetown
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Cape Colony Inn
Cape Colony Inn
#1 of 14 in Provincetown

Been to Surfside Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!