“Loved 77 Commercial Street”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Provincetown
Bayshore/Chandler House
Reviewed October 3, 2007

we have just returned from an 8 night stay at the 1st floor cottage at 77 commercial street and we loved it so much we have already booked it for the same week next year! it is beautiful. The owners take great pride in this property and it shows. The cottage is well taken care of, landscaping beautiful and you cannot beat the location. Its at the West end right on the beach. Views are spectacular! I also checked out the 2nd level of the beach cottage and its just as nice. Since I travel with dogs ( yes it is pet friendly) the 1st floor was perfect - it has an enclosed patio. It also has a separate bedroom, nice size living room with the most comfortable couch and chair, nice updated kitchen with everthing you can possibly need -dishes, appiances, utensils, pans etc and a nice bathroom. This place is just perfect!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janeinct

Reviewed August 26, 2007

We stayed at the Bayshore/Chandler House last week, along with two other families that are friends of ours. When the couple who booked unit 14, on the street side checked in, they were told that their parking space was 2 blocks away. Of course, they were not happy with that arrangement, having just driven 7 hours from new york. As I was checking in, the owner told me to use 2 spaces for my car, to make it easier for everyone to exit and enter the crowded, small lot. I suggested that our friends use that space instead of parking 2 blocks away. The owner was agreeable, and this worked out for the entire length of our stay since there was one extra space in the lot. Be forewarned, because our friends were told that parking was not a problem when they booked the unit back in March. The other units have their own spaces, it is just very cramped and I would think twice about staying there if I had a large vehicle. Otherwise, you will be fine. The unit we stayed in, unit 18- a 2 bedroom unit, was nothing special. It did have a beautiful view of the bay, since we were on the second floor facing the water. We had no shower curtain when we arrived, and tried to get one from the office, but no one answered the bell on at least 2 occasions. By the third day, this was rectified. The windows were difficult to open, there is only one air conditoner-in the living room. There are fans in both bedrooms. The living room also has a nice television, but no one goes to the cape to watch tv! We had our dog with us, and it is a very dog friendly place-there were even towels set aside for the dog. It is no problem to leave your dog for any time while you go out. The kitchen is nicely equipped, even down to detergent for the dish washer. You can also barbeque on the patio if you have a small grill with you.I would go back again, but I would try to book one of the other units-some of which had air conditioners in the bedrooms and were much more nicely furnished than ours. Be sure to ask about parking, and know that unit 14, which is a studio, does not have a parking space on premises. Otherwise, it is a nice place to stay, very clean, a short walk to town and comfortable enough.I would also suggest staying on the beach side-the units look great, and it is much more quiet.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2007

I researched hotels in Cape Cod for months, finally deciding on the Bayshore based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and a book about traveling with your pet. It was near the Cape Cod national sea shore and I wanted a nice place that was quiet (more away from town) that accepted two medium-sized dogs. I booked it late in the season so the only units available were two studios (one in the main building and one across the street) that had no water view. However, given that it was right on the beach, I figured we would be able to at least enjoy sitting on the private beach.

Upon arriving early, the room wasn't ready, so we went to Race Point beach for the day. We found out there was a problem with green flies and so we left the beach early, thankful that we had a place to stay on the beach on the bay side. When we got back, our room was ready. Upon entering unit #1, I immediately had great concern. It had been described as quaint, but this unit was small and looked dumpy with an old looking queen size bed and really small sofa couch. The kitchen and bathroom did not look inviting either, not updated at all. The room was also rather dark and I was also concerned with how close it was to the busy Commercial Street. (This is how all the places on Commercial Street are in Provincetown, so if ever booking a place, beware of anything not on the beach side.)

I decided to walk down to the private beach to convince myself that I could stay there. But when I got to the area, there was the little "pre-beach" that was cramped amidst the other units. And to my dismay, there was a LONG flight of stairs down to the real beach, and no other way down there! One of my dogs is elderly with bad hips, and has a problem with stairs. It was at that moment that I knew I was in trouble - I had booked a dark little unit, right next to the noisy street, with no easy access to the private beach.

Meanwhile, my husband and dogs were waiting in our vehicle which had to be crammed into the tiniest of parking spots across the street. There would have hardly been any room to unload. (I had read a review about the parking problem and it is very cramped, but there's really nothing they can do about it).

When I spoke with the gentlemen handling the check-ins, he wasn't very sympathetic at first. He wasn't able to offer any suggestions other than the public beach. However, seeing my dismay (I burst into tears) he became much more sympathetic and said he would talk to the owner. After checking with her, he said they could refund $61 of the $224 I had put down (which was 50% of the cost of three nights). I knew I had no choice.....I wasn't going to stay there either way - my vacation would have been ruined. I had driven 7 hours to get to P'town and thought I might end up driving back home, but thank goodness I found a place that was on the beach and had easy access (Surfside, which was wonderful).

I should point out that all the guests at Bayshore who were in the front units out on their decks facing the water seemed to all look very happy. But even if the beach had been easier to access, the quality of the room would have made it an unpleasant place to stay. That may not be true of the other units, or perhaps the ocean view away from the busy street makes up for it.

In summary, stay away from unit #1 at Bayshore. And make sure you can walk down a long flight of stairs if you want beach access. Having access to the beach for someone's dogs might not be an issue, but this could be a huge problem for an elderly person who cannot handle a long flight of stairs.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank BB4th
Reviewed January 21, 2007

Unit #13 at Bayshore is a lovely 2 bedroom 2 bath with a great kitchen (outfitted with everything..granite counters too) clean, dramatic, fab views, woodstove fireplace..incredible deck, good beds, very clean..perfect for our winter getaway. Dog friendly too!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johnnieb
Reviewed September 12, 2006

This was an enjoyable place to have as a base to explore Provincetown and the surrounding areas. It's in an excellent location far enough from the center of town to be quiet at night. The atmosphere set by both management and guests was friendly and relaxed. The one-bedroom condo I rented was delightful - facing the ocean and well-equipped with dishes, utensils, etc. Bless their hearts - whoever furnished the place realized that there might actually be a rainy day: an extremely comfy couch with big cushions was in the living room alongside a reading lamp with a 3-way bulb!
Everything was immaculate. Be advised, however - many units do not provide a great deal of privacy as balconies are shared. Fortunately I had very nice neighbors with a delightful dog!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank emmi331
Reviewed February 5, 2006

My girlfriend and I enjoyed the Bayshore alot it was off season so the rates were all reasonable,stormy weather was ok since the apt. came with a kitchen we didnt have to go out in the storm just enjoyed the view the coziness and the cleanliness.Staff was friendly and gave a later check out without me asking so we got to enjoy the beach on our last day there (the 1 nice day).Good times. We cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank HTripp
A TripAdvisor Member
Hartford, CT
Reviewed October 11, 2003

Our second trip to Bayshore this year - and this time we had the pleasure of bringing our dog.

The condo was extremely clean and the staff provide dog towels (very nice quality, I might add) so that dogs can get a shower (outside hose) after a beach romp. My dog is little so she was afraid of the sand but did enjoy basking on the deck in the sunshine on that towel.

Bayshore is very comfortable, relaxed and relaxing. From our deck we could see N Truro's cottages and dunes to the left - Wellfleet and the lighthouse at the tip of the cape ahead and PTowns' wharf to our right.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member