“Moffett House felt like a home away from home”
Review of Moffett House

Moffett House
Ranked #19 of 63 Provincetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Moffett House was situated down a charming, almost-secret-like passageway within a stone's throw of the chaos of Commercial Street near MacMillan Wharf, but yet felt removed from the center of the action. My friends & I were thankful to have cafes, ATMs, Portuguese bakery, pharmacy, health-food store, restaurants & entertainment galore within 5 minutes walk of our doorstep. The bikes were a terrific bonus and readily allowed us to escape the crowds and explore Race Point Beach, Herring Cove Beach and Beech Forest nearby.

We enjoyed conversation with other guests and Russ & Mark who made us truly feel at home, almost like family. We all slept well, finding the bed comfortable and thought this is where we'd like to stay when in Provincetown next.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank mtlbaltdan

Reviewed August 3, 2011

We have just stayed at Moffett House and absolutely loved it. The location is great - very close to Commercial street, and yet quiet and cozy. A lovely little garden in the front where you can eat and/or socialize with friends. The owner, Russ, is the sweetest and friendliest man who went an extra mile to make our stay here a pleasurable one. For example, when we had an emergency, he offered to babysit our doggy.The rooms were clean and cozy. We appreciated the opportunity to use bikes for free (not many other hotels offered this). It is a dog-friendly hotel - and that was the major reason we chose it in the first place. Our mini-dachshund had a great time here, and we appreciated the kindness with which both the owner and the other guests treated her. At the same time, Russ was making sure that guests with dogs understood the needs of the other guests for quiet, especially in the evening. Luciano is wonderful, too: he was a great resource to help us choose great shows, restaurants, and even a photographer. We are surprised to read some other people complaining about small rooms, "basic" conveniences, and parking: Moffett House is a great value for the money, and while parking is tough in town, we were always provided with a parking space. Of course, if one needs a more upscale - and pricier -place, and is allergic to dogs, he/she needs to look at other options. We, however, had a great experience, and will be back the moment we can.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveller47776
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've been to Provincetown twice and stayed here both times - Provincetown is not a cheap place to visit, so we were really pleased to find Moffett House as one of the more affordable, less pricey places. The location could not be more perfect, as it is right in the centre of the town, but being just off the main street there's no street noise whatsoever.

Russ and Luciano were both incredibly friendly and helpful, always around and available to help with anything we needed. As we were on a budget, we rented the smallest room (No.1) both times, it really is a small room, but we were rarely there so didnt need much space. It has aircon (a little rattley and loud but it works), a TV with dvd player and a mini-fridge.

Moffett House is perfect for travellers who want to stay somewhere informal, friendly and relaxed where they can feel at home - For those wanting a more pampered/luxury experience, they're probably better off elsewhere. It is basic - breakfast in the morning is out on the side in the small hallway for you to serve yourself, bagels, coffee, muffins and orange juice. There is a computer there with net access for anyone to use, although there is also free wifi in the house for anyone with laptops/smartphones. We often sat outside in the backyard, or out in the front, where you can meet and talk to other travellers (and not if you dont want to!), everyone is very friendly.

Sharing the bathrooms was no problem, you do sometimes have to wait a little while at busy times, but never for too long. And at these busy times the floor can get kinda wet - but it always seems pretty clean to me.

We love staying here, this 2nd time we returned with 2 friends, who similarly loved it and said it felt like home very quickly. You can use the kitchen and pretty much anything in the house you want to - Luciano even did some washing for our friend!

Parking in Provincetown is not cheap - You have to park at one of the $20 a day places nearby. Make sure you pay up front if you are staying more than 1 day - We didn't do this and nearly accidentally got our car towed after staying 4 days! (Admittedly there are big signs telling you to do this!!).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Power_E
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Love this place! Have stayed here twice now. They manage to get the perfect balance of being friendly and welcoming without being intrusive. Best things are the general feeling of comfort; breakfast bagels; free hire of bikes; location and value for money. Would be hard pressed to think of any negatives really as nothing really bothered me about the stay. Will definitely come again!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is my 5th time in Ptown, and the Moffett House is definitely the best place I've stayed at. It is more friendly and comfortable then upscale, but though casual, it is clean and the people their are friendly and very helpful.

They have bikes for the guests to use throughout their stay, and they let me use a beach umbrella. When it broke, they gave me another to use. The guests also have free use of the kitchen, and an outdoor shower.

Moffet House Inn balances perfectly between homey comfort and hotel service. I spent 9 nights there and felt very much at home. I would definitely recommend it and will certainly stay there the next time I'm in town.

The price is unusually reasonable for the town, and the location is excellent.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Russ and Luciano were great hosts and the location was unbeatable. They were very helpful with directions and advice on dining, places to have a drink and sunset, beaches, bike rides etc. Free bicycle use for my wife and I was great.

The room is a bit small but we didn't go to Provincetown to spend time in the room or at the hotel, we were up and out each day to take in such an amazing town. The room price was fair, everything was clean, plenty of towels including beach towels and ice for my beach drink cooler. In some ways I felt like I was visiting friends more than staying at a hotel. We would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We liked room #6
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Such a cute house, friendly and warm staff, stellar location close to everything, and very affordable! They even have bicycles available to all guests staying at the Inn. I had a lovely time here with friends... but... there are a few things I think fellow travelers might want to know before booking a stay here. I can't find mention of this on the Moffett House website, but I wish I'd have known that this was a pet-friendly establishment before making my reservation, as I am allergic to cats and dogs (and their residual dander) and couldn't quite figure out why I was sneezing and had puffy eyes from the moment I arrived. Finding parking is a challenge to say the least. Breakfast (coffee and orange juice) is minimal during random times of the year, so be prepared to bring your own food or to go elsewhere for a substantial, healthy breakfast. The room I stayed in was quite small and "rustic". Lots of old charm. In addition to the old charm, the room came chock full of dust. (See photos.) I think it had been quite a while since the room had undergone a thorough cleaning. My room had a TV, mini-fridge, and an AC unit in the window. While it was very refreshing having the AC, it unfortunately let insects in through the open cracks. I killed a couple of mosquitoes after they feasted on my ankles and legs. I also killed a centipede on the wall roughly 2 feet from where the pillows on my bed were propped up. Eeek! (I noticed another smushed dead bug on the wall behind the lamp that someone must have left as a souvenir. Sweet.)
My restroom had a functional sink, toilet and shower, but there was nothing really clean about it. (I was very happy to have my own private restroom though.) Unfortunately, the shelving unit in the restroom was so dusty and dirty that I wasn't able to use it to store my toiletries. It may have just been my room's location, but I was able to hear everything, including everyone's arrival back at the house in the wee hours of the morning, the use of the nearest community restroom, and the staff setting up the morning coffee and juice around 6am. The walls appear to be somewhat thin so I was wakened by nearly everything that happened outside my room.
All in all, my stay at the Moffett House was just okay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank sardawg
RussAO, Owner at Moffett House, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Sarah,

I think you left out some important information.

First, the purpose of this trip – it was for a wedding of two women that met while staying at the Moffett House Inn. Very cool, huh?

I received many communications from the wedding party prior to their booking the entire house and their arrival. The commonality of the communications emphasized low and discounted prices. At the same time I felt like they would really rather be staying in a high-end expensive hotel.

You paid just under $100 for the one night weekend stay for a room with a private bathroom. I guarantee you received the lowest rate for a room with a private bathroom in mid-June in the center of Provincetown.

I admit we were understaffed that weekend and I take ownership to that. If you had told our house manager that you would have liked your room re-cleaned we would have been glad to oblige.

During your short 17 hours stay you managed to find the time to crawl around on the floor and take photos of the back of the toilet, toilet bowl brush and the plunger and then post them in tripadvisor’s guest photo section.

When you phoned me to make the reservation you were in a hurry and you didn’t have time to give me your email address. Whenever a reservation is made I always email a detailed confirmation within 24 hours including parking and driving directions to all of our guests. If you had given me your email address as I had asked you wouldn’t have had such a difficult time parking and finding the house. Parking and driving instructions are also listed on our website.

Our amenities do vary throughout the year, depending on the season and are listed in detail on our website.

The wedding party was the loudest and rowdiest group of guests we have had all year staying at the Inn. I am not sure how anyone was able to get any sleep.

Russ