“The Pilgrims would be proud!”

John Carver Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Plymouth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the John Caver Inn for a last minute getaway and we had a wonderful stay. The Inn is located right in downtown Plymouth, close to lots of shops and walking areas. Our room was a fireplace suite and it overlooked the pool area (which was indoors).

The Inn is attached to a Hearth & Kettle restaurant which provides a hearty dinner and breakfast and is very convenient for guests. We also did a Colonial Lantern Night tour which picked us up right in the lobby of the hotel. That was a walking night tour which I highly recommend as well.

The Inn sits on the original spot of the Pilgrim settlements and it is well worth a stroll in the area to discover bits of history. You must check out the old Burial Grounds behind the hotel as well. Brewster Gardens across the street is beautiful and a great place for a stroll.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay here and will be back soon!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband and I travelled here for a wedding and stayed one night in the beautiful queen fireplace suite. The room was clean and comfortable (especially with a memory foam mattress!). The jacuzzi was clean and spacious. The fireplace was convenient and easy to light (just flip a switch!). They even had a Keurig single cup coffee maker in the room, which was a treat. The furnishings/decor were slightly outdated and could've gone for a make over, but it certainly didn't take away from the experience. The swimming pool was awesome and surprisingly completely empty of children if you went early. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We certainly enjoyed our stay! One complaint was that the elevator was extremely slow and hot, but if you can manage the stairs, it is no problem! All in all, a great experience!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank puck1982
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Excellant place to stay with children of any age as the pool was awesome for our 15 year olds and the location was within walking distance to most sites. Close driving proximity to the Plimoth Plantation, beach, lake and waterfront. AND, must not forget, Dunkin Donuts right next door. We would definitely stay again. Great rates and great food. Friendly, accomadating and congenial staff.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights in July 2009 with wife and toddler. Wonderful and helpful staff - they are great!

The hotel itself is dated quite a bit. It's not "dirty", but it's not new and crisp either. You can just tell that it's been around awhile and it's just kinda tired looking.

The fitness center is quite minimal. No towels, television didn't work, no bench for the dumbells. But, it will work in a pinch - at least they have one.

Wonderful pool area - but you had better like kids. That photo of the pool they plaster everywhere is kinda funny. It's almost correct, just add about 20 kids, towels and stuff everywhere, not enough chairs/loungers, and you got it.

The location is probably about the best location you can get. Easily walkable to everything. If you stay here, you are staying for the location and if you have kids, the pool.

Forget the attached restaurant, Hearth and Kettle - I'll put a review up of it. Two thumbs down on that one.

When we were there, they had a couple of different events - a wedding and some other event. It seems that this hotel may do many of these, so be warned about lots of people possibly packed into that small front lobby area.

The one small elevator is in the worst location I've ever seen in any hotel. It's near the lobby but in a high traffic zone with very tight halls and tight corner. When waiting for the elevator, you have to basically wait around the corner for it - which is also near the bathrooms for the events going on. Just a goofy spot for an elevator - I ended up taking the stairs most of the time so not to even deal with it.

The place overall is just quirky. I like it, and may stay there again if I want to walk to everything. But, I could easily get a much nicer hotel and just drive in for the day. Depends on what kinda vacation you want.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

Pretty much was what I expected from the reviews on Tripadvisor and from the website. I'm always a little extra wary when there's only one photo of a room. The room was not so much dated in furnishings as it was not contemporary feeling. I'm not so into the air conditioner blowing into the drapes. And the armoire containing the tv - the doors were awkward - they don't slide in, so the door is always hanging out ready to slap you in the face if someone is watching tv. And sometimes one door would close while watching tv. Ghost or sloped floor? You be the judge. The bathroom was clean, but clearly a budget renovation. The sink faucet was loose - as in the entire fixture moved when you turned off the hot water. And the tub was obviously one of those overlays where you don't actually remove the prior tub. We were in a "deluxe" room which was "recently renovated" according to the website, whereas 1 grade down, the "superior" rooms have been "redecorated" only. I shudder to think what that means. I also noticed when we checked in that the carpet was a bit dirty, but the next day I saw vacuum tracks from the maid so I guess they do vacuum on occasion. Also - the clock was an hour slow, we didn't realize that until the 2nd day - so check the clock against your watch. All the discounts they give you on check-in are great. And the pool was a big hit with the kids in the family. We were there for a family wedding and we were one of 3 parties who were on one side of the family - and traveling with 2 small children. My mother-in-law complained about the lack of outdoor space - there's a terrace off the pool, but she didn't think that was sufficient. I could understand her complaint, but I guess given that the hotel is in town, it didn't phase me. My husband was less than impressed with the fitness center and was not so happy that kids were allowed to run amok as long as an adult was in the room with them. I appreciated the free morning coffee, but an in-room coffee maker would have been better. We're just so used to that now. Guess we're spoiled. I have to say Hearth 'N Kettle makes good, hearty food. We had 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners there - mostly out of laziness as we're late diners and the restaurants in town all seem to close at 10pm. So our only option was H 'N K a couple of nights. More plusses - Free WiFi (although a bit spotty reception in our room) and free parking!

Reviewed July 24, 2009

Stayed 2 nights. Good location in Plymouth within walking distance of the centre and seafront. Lovely room with 2 huge beds but no coffee machine provided and breakfast was extra - though guests were allowed some discount in the Heart & Kettle restaurant next door. A bit pricey unless you made use of the pool.
We took the ferry to Provincetown one day - strongly recommend this, more relaxing than driving and much better value than the ferry from Boston.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Pool and watersilde key to our smiles. Kids loved unwinding on the twisty slide. Happy to wake up to piping hot coffee. Staff was pleasant and accommodating. Hearth and Kettle restaurant perfect for a family who does not need fancy food. Service was great. We were happy with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Hotel 1620 Plymouth Harbor
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#9 of 9 in Plymouth
Mirbeau Inn & Spa at The Pinehills
Baymont Inn & Suites Kingston Plymouth Bay

Been to John Carver Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!