“Great hotel especially with children.”

John Carver Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Plymouth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

The staff was so friendly and accommodating. The pool with its ship themed water slide was excellent for kids. The pool also offered an outdoor area to sit and enjoy some sun as well as life guards. Only down fall (which wasn't all that bad) was that in order to get food or adult beverages you have to walk through the inn to the attached restaurant. I believe you could use room service for this however if you want multiple drinks it was a bit annoying. The hotel is located perfectly near by the Mayflower and the Plantation. Great trip with children. Not only was it educational but very interactive. My twin 4 yr olds and 5 yr old loved both locations. Highly recommend visiting while you are there. The attached restaurant was good home cooked meals however nothing fancy. Breakfast was much better than dinner. The drinks were good. We will be going back again and I would highly recommend this inn to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Online booking was a breeze, check in was quick and easy. Hotel room was OK but was very clean but didn't have a refrigerator, bathroom was recently updated . All staff was friendly and helpful. The Hearth and Kettle restaurant had friendly staff, one waitress we had twice was named Tracey was very helpful. Also the Hearth and Kettle has a many Gluten Free items on the menu. It was nice to have GF cranberry pancakes in the morning! The pool was clean and a lot of fun too! We had the package deal and was nice to have all the tickets in hand when we went to all historic sites. This Inn is walking distance to most of the historic sites in Plymouth and to waterfront with many shops and restaurants. I would also recommend the walking tour at the Jenney Museum that is across the street from the John Carver inn which they recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Nice clean room, good beds, very helpful and friendly staff. Savings voucher for attached restaurant (lunch and dinner). No refrigerator in room. Very satisfied with our stay, will recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Booked online with no problem at all. We got a good room for about $100.00 a night - Booking in was a chore as the rooms were not ready as the door locks were being changed and upgraded. The rooms were very clean and presentable. The hotel's pool was great and timing our visit to a lunchtime gave us almost exclusive use - great. Got a good night's sleep both nights. Would thoroughly recommend this place as central to the town's attractions.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the John Carver Inn as part of a "Sweet Deal" package, where we got a superior room for one night, as well as a visit to the spa for a couple's massage. But first the inn.

The online reservation system is not very clear. When I selected the Sweet Deal package, it then asked me what kind of room I wanted. After selecting the room, I called to confirm the reservation and was told it was not the correct room to match the deal. I would suggest that the inn selects the superior room for you when choosing this package to avoid confusion.

As for the room itself, if that's was is considered superior, I'd hate to see what lesser rooms look like. It's strange that a room that is part of the "Sweet Deal" (and is for couples) would have 2 queen sized beds and not one king.

The room was clean enough, but completely outdated. In the informational folder on the desk, the welcome letter is barely readable because it's so old (see picture). This is just a small indication of the inn's aging practices.

There was a lingering moldy smell in our room, and the carpet and wallpaper made me think of a room at my grandmother's house. I understand the inn may be aiming for a rustic, charming, old New England style motif, but it simply comes across as out-of-date.

We also received a "free" $50 voucher for dinner at the Hearth N' Kettle Restaurant or the WaterFire Tavern in the inn. (It's certainly not "free," as it's built into the price of the room....a clever marketing ploy.) After waiting at the table for 5 minutes, I eventually went to go find a waiter who could bring us menus. The food was good, prices reasonable, and waitstaff friendly. I don't think I'd eat there again, though.

The draw of the package was the couple's massage. Scheduling it, though, was very difficult. After booking the reservation, I called to arrange a time for the massages, but the spa had trouble finding two masseuses at the same time. I can only assume that this package is not popular, because it took me placing several phone calls over the course of a week to schedule a couples massage. However, the spa itself was clean and modern (a striking contrast to the rest of the inn) and the massage itself luxurious.

We visited the pool and enjoyed that too.

In sum, while the inn is safe and clean, I would not book the Sweet Deal package with them again, and likely not stay there otherwise either. For a more affordable rate and more updated rooms, I could go to the Holiday Inn or Marriot nearby.

Room Tip: Only get the "Superior" room if you don't want one bed.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JakeDL
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We loved it. Made our reservation through the local AAA office. Victoria Henson handled it all for us. It was half the price of what we paid in Provincetown. Nicer room, too. Comfortable room with big, beautiful furniture. Quality all the way.

Great location. We walked all over town after dinner. They gave us a $10 coupon off dinner. Great hostess in the dining room, Jhakie or some dramatic spelling. She knows lots about the town and old houses. She owns one.

We went into the hot tub and the fancy water slide. The next morning we walked all over town again to get inside some of the buildings. The Mayflower II is good. One very good bearded guide. Too many school students who aren't interested.

Do tour the grist mill across from the hotel. Three excellent guides in there.

We had breakfast in the hotel. Big selection.

Room Tip: We faced out the front. No traffic noise. We were over the main entrance.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2014

John Carver was a good hotel. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly. We were basically only there to sleep for one night some my use of the hotel was limited. Gym was kind of small. The hotel bar was cool. Good stay. Very central location within walking distance to everything.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Hotel 1620 Plymouth Harbor
Hampton Inn & Suites Plymouth
Mirbeau Inn & Spa at The Pinehills
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#9 of 9 in Plymouth
Baymont Inn & Suites Kingston Plymouth Bay

Been to John Carver Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!