“Bargain prices for a two night stay.”

John Carver Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Plymouth
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Wales, United Kingdom
“Bargain prices for a two night stay.”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Booked online with no problem at all. We got a good room for about $100.00 a night - Booking in was a chore as the rooms were not ready as the door locks were being changed and upgraded. The rooms were very clean and presentable. The hotel's pool was great and timing our visit to a lunchtime gave us almost exclusive use - great. Got a good night's sleep both nights. Would thoroughly recommend this place as central to the town's attractions.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the John Carver Inn as part of a "Sweet Deal" package, where we got a superior room for one night, as well as a visit to the spa for a couple's massage. But first the inn.

The online reservation system is not very clear. When I selected the Sweet Deal package, it then asked me what kind of room I wanted. After selecting the room, I called to confirm the reservation and was told it was not the correct room to match the deal. I would suggest that the inn selects the superior room for you when choosing this package to avoid confusion.

As for the room itself, if that's was is considered superior, I'd hate to see what lesser rooms look like. It's strange that a room that is part of the "Sweet Deal" (and is for couples) would have 2 queen sized beds and not one king.

The room was clean enough, but completely outdated. In the informational folder on the desk, the welcome letter is barely readable because it's so old (see picture). This is just a small indication of the inn's aging practices.

There was a lingering moldy smell in our room, and the carpet and wallpaper made me think of a room at my grandmother's house. I understand the inn may be aiming for a rustic, charming, old New England style motif, but it simply comes across as out-of-date.

We also received a "free" $50 voucher for dinner at the Hearth N' Kettle Restaurant or the WaterFire Tavern in the inn. (It's certainly not "free," as it's built into the price of the room....a clever marketing ploy.) After waiting at the table for 5 minutes, I eventually went to go find a waiter who could bring us menus. The food was good, prices reasonable, and waitstaff friendly. I don't think I'd eat there again, though.

The draw of the package was the couple's massage. Scheduling it, though, was very difficult. After booking the reservation, I called to arrange a time for the massages, but the spa had trouble finding two masseuses at the same time. I can only assume that this package is not popular, because it took me placing several phone calls over the course of a week to schedule a couples massage. However, the spa itself was clean and modern (a striking contrast to the rest of the inn) and the massage itself luxurious.

We visited the pool and enjoyed that too.

In sum, while the inn is safe and clean, I would not book the Sweet Deal package with them again, and likely not stay there otherwise either. For a more affordable rate and more updated rooms, I could go to the Holiday Inn or Marriot nearby.

Room Tip: Only get the "Superior" room if you don't want one bed.
1 Thank JakeDL
San Marino, California
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We loved it. Made our reservation through the local AAA office. Victoria Henson handled it all for us. It was half the price of what we paid in Provincetown. Nicer room, too. Comfortable room with big, beautiful furniture. Quality all the way.

Great location. We walked all over town after dinner. They gave us a $10 coupon off dinner. Great hostess in the dining room, Jhakie or some dramatic spelling. She knows lots about the town and old houses. She owns one.

We went into the hot tub and the fancy water slide. The next morning we walked all over town again to get inside some of the buildings. The Mayflower II is good. One very good bearded guide. Too many school students who aren't interested.

Do tour the grist mill across from the hotel. Three excellent guides in there.

We had breakfast in the hotel. Big selection.

Room Tip: We faced out the front. No traffic noise. We were over the main entrance.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 21, 2014

John Carver was a good hotel. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly. We were basically only there to sleep for one night some my use of the hotel was limited. Gym was kind of small. The hotel bar was cool. Good stay. Very central location within walking distance to everything.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed June 18, 2014

After traveling all night on the red eye from LAX,late arrival,missed shuttle had to wait 2 hours for next bus.Got to the Carver Inn 5 hours before check in,the staff @ the front desk was so accommodating,checked me in early,booked my Spa massage,I slept in my awesome room for 3 hours before my incredible massage by Sonja. Then lunch in the rest.Molly served me with the utmost attention. Then in the evening I was meeting family for dinner and had a glass of wine @ the bar where once again ,utmost attention from Jackie the bartender.Why even housekeeping didn't miss a thing. Everyone said hello/goodbye/have a nice day/come back again.Honestly, I have stayed @ 5 star Hotels & never got this much service & it was a very busy week for the Hotel.I come back every year & this is my new "go to hotel"Thanks to all for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Be kind & patient it pays off:)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sanford, North Carolina
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the John Carver Inn while traveling through Plymouth and found the hotel staff very nice and friendly. Our room was nice and clean, we highly recommend staying here!! We will be back!!

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We arrived in Plymouth early having travelled up from Cape Cod that morning and found the staff to be very accommodating to us checking in early. Once settled we headed into town which was only a short distance away. Nearby we found the Mayflower II and also Plymouth Rock which were the two historical places we had wanted to visit on our stay there.
We found the staff to be incredibly helpful and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth
Hotel 1620 Plymouth Harbor
Mirbeau Inn & Spa at The Pinehills
Hampton Inn & Suites Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#8 of 9 in Plymouth
Baymont Inn & Suites Kingston Plymouth Bay

Been to John Carver Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!