“First time” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Three Rivers, Massachusetts
“First time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at the Inn for a weekend wedding. The hotel was well kept, but old, like 30 years ago. The bed was comfortable, the shower head was about even with my neck (I am 6" 2" tall),no refrigerator in the room, the promised view of the garden is blocked by trees. The staff is very nice. Angela who is at the front desk is a fountain of local info. She can direct you to the best places to eat or visit. The price of the rooms is not worth it. We have stayed at other places just as nice, for half the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Elizaville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights and we really liked it. The room was nicely furnished with a 4 poster king bed and fireplace (it burns Sterno). Clean and quiet, within easy walk of main street and a few blocks from Plymouth Rock. We ate dinner at their Hearth & Kettle restaurant, it's average, kind of diner-like food. The only detractor was the foam pad on the bed, we didn't like it as it was way too soft for our liking. We didn't try the spa, exercise or pool area, but they looked nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at the John Carver for 3 nights in July for a family reunion. As other reviews state, the lobby is stately and well appointed. However, I found the rest of the hotel to be very dated and in need of attention. The carpeting in the hallways and stairwells were really worn. The rooms were on the small side. The biggest issue we had was temperature, the heavy drapes cover the cooling unit restricting the airflow and therefore not cooling the room down. The unit was also noisy and inefficient.

On the positive side, it is a good location for walking around town. The restaurant is good and the service is friendly.

1 Thank mexicocity
watertown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My 85 year old young mom, 15 year old daughter, my 40 somethingish sister, 3 nephews ages 10, 10 and 12 stayed at this wonderful hotel on July 31st. We were greeted at the front desk by Angela and Karen. Both young ladies were professional and extremely helpful. Kuddos to management for having such wonderful people at the front desk. Both Angela and Karen made us feel so welcome and certainly aimed to please. This hotel had such charm and character. Both rooms were clean and the beds were beyond comfortable. The pool was such fun. I loved that we could sit outside on the terrace while watching everyone swim. The lifeguards on duty were attentive and enjoyable to talk to.

The location of this hotel was perfect. Centrally located and easily accessible to town/beach and historic sites.

I would highly recommend this hotel. Be sure to tell Angela and Karen at the front desk the Henry's say hello!!

Room Tip: If you want to be near the pool request a room on the 2nd floor
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Good: This is an older hotel with a certain charm to it. As you enter, the lobby is quaint and it fits into the feel of the hotel. The staff is friendly. The pool is like a mini resort, complete with a mayflower and Plymouth Rock at the center of the pool. Truly a fun experience for kids to adults. The hotel has an adjacent restaurant, which makes it very convenient to eat.

THE BAD: The room was in desperate need of a makeover. The wall paper is lifting from the wall, and the decor doesn't feel charming, simply old and in need of a change. The room was clean, I didn't see any evidence to the contrary. However, the room "felt" dirty and musty. The sheets were not white, nor crisp. Even taking into account the star rating, most hotels have gone to duvet style bedding. The old polyester motel blanket didn't help the situation. The mattress and pillows had seeing better days and are begging for retirement! The mattress sagged in the middle (even though I am 117 pounds). The pillows were flat as a pancakes and very uncomfortable. I had the worse night ever in a hotel. Management if you read this please don't make your guest suffer any longer. The pool, the service and the charm are simply not enough to up the standards of your hotel. The comfort and feel of the rooms should be your number one priority!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Joseph A, General Manager at John Carver Inn & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear luvtotravel4fun00, Thank you for your review. Though I am happy to hear that our Charm and Service were to your liking I am disappointed in your review of our rooms. We have recently changed the bedding, beds, and wallpaper in many of our rooms and are going to continue doing so to the rest over the next year. We believe that the comfort of our guest is important and do work to make our property better for them consistently. I can only ask that you give us another try if you ever find yourself in the area again. Thank you - Joe
Newport, Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed at the John Carver Inn many times. Our last time there we had an awful experience and will not be back. There was a fire on the third floor. My kids and I were fast aleep. Not one of us were awaken by the fire alarms. We couldnt hear them in our room!!! The only reason why I woke up was that there was a GUEST banging on my door telling us to get out. We were one of the last ones out. My kids were out in the freezing rain without shoes and scared. When I contacted them about the fire alarms they said they would look into it. There was no apology etc. We were not compensated in anyway for this. All I really wanted to hear was that they would do a better job alerting guests there was a fire! My kids still have nightmares of this and will never go there again!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynn S
Joseph A, General Manager at John Carver Inn & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Lynn S, I am sorry that you had bad experience while you stayed with us here at the Inn. I would like to assure you that we regularly have our alarms tested and are in compliance with all local and state laws. As part of that testing people are listening to make sure that the alarm is heard throughout the Inn. Even with this when an alarm goes off our staff does a sweep of the hotel to be sure. I am glad that another guest was able to wake you and your family. I am also sorry that you feel that we did not respond to your inquiries about the situation, I would be happy to speak to you about this if you wish to call me at the Inn. Thank You for your review so my Staff and I can learn where we need to improve. - Joe
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We really loved the John Carver Inn and Spa. It is an older hotel but looks so much like it belongs in this historic town. It was very clean, super friendly staff, fast elevator and nice room. The pool is fantastic with it wall murals, lap pool, ship with water slide and elevated hot tub. We even had 2 life guards on duty when we were the only swimmers for a short while! The food in the restaurant was delicious, the service wonderful and the prices reasonable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KodiakTexas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth
Mirbeau Inn & Spa at The Pinehills
Hotel 1620 at Plymouth Harbor
Hampton Inn & Suites Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#8 of 9 in Plymouth
Baymont Inn & Suites Kingston Plymouth Bay

Been to John Carver Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!