“Had a great time in America's hometown at Auberge Gladstone”
Review of Auberge Gladstone

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plymouth
Auberge Gladstone
Ranked #14 of 18 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I stayed here with family and friends for a gathering. The hosts and occomodations were excellent and the cooking was superb. Nearby attractions include the Mayflower, Plymouth Plantation, museum, and great seafood at plymouth harbor. Thanks for the great time. Tom & Liddy.

• Stayed: September 2006
There are newer reviews for Auberge Gladstone

Reviewed October 15, 2008

Stayed in the Loft at the Auberge Gladstone for one night during a really fun weekend jaunt to Plymouth. I picked the Auberge specifically because I wanted something small and different and wanted to be close to downtown and the water. I also wanted to avoid the motels (many of which are more than a little "uninspiring" to put it nicely) that are common in the area. Overall we had a great experience and I was happy with our choice.

PROS:

Innkeepers - They were so friendly and flexible, accomodating an early check-in, giving us family-friendly restaurant recommendations (our 4 year old was with us), and telling us all about the property and the area. Really nice people!

Location - The Auberge is located within walking distance to downtown and the water giving ample opportunities for dining, shopping, and site-seeing (Plymouth Rock, MayflowerII). It is also very close to Plimouth Plantation (10 minute drive?) which is wonderful.

Loft - It is a beautiful unit with a SUPER comfy bed, very tasteful furnishing and nice light. Towels and linens were spotless and in great condition. Bathroom was incredible and gave me inspiration for our own master bathroom renovation. In addition, the unit is fully outfitted with a small fridge, microwave, coffee pot, iron and board, nice bathrobes and s hairdryer. It's also wired for high-def cable and I think they had wifi too. Yes, ceilings are low but that wasn't an issue for us.

Jacuzzi - They had a really nice, really clean, outdoor jacuzzi with a bath house (loaded for music, tv and wifi) that my son loved!

Rates: This place is very reasonably priced in my opinion

Children: The Auberge not only allows children, they welcome them. And I can't tell you how nice that is considering the number of B&B's in Plymouth that will not allow children under the ages of 10 or 8. I guess they must have had some bad experiences or just don't like little ones. Whatever the reason, it's pretty offensive and they should take a cue from the Auberge.

No Minimum Stay: We were able to book for only 1 night.

CONS:

Outside Appearance of House/Hallways: While the Loft itself was modern, beautiful and spotless, the exterior of the house itself, and the hallways, etc. could use some TLC as it comes across as a little run-down when you're outside your room.

Stairs: This is an old house with narrow, steep stairs. This was not a problem for us in any way, shape or form, but if you have knee or other health problems, the climb (to the loft anyway) might be difficult for you.

Overall, we had a really good time at there and in Plymouth in general and I would recommend the Auberge for anyone looking for something out of the ordinary and close to downtown.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2008

My husband and two children stayed in the loft for 5 nights in July. We were attracted by the affordability and the owners assurance that all four of us could fit comfortably in the room and that we could "divide" the space so that our 3 and 4 year olds could go to sleep on the sofa bed at 8:00 pm, but we could watch TV for a while without keeping them up.

First, the positives. The innkeepers and owners are very friendly and they had cookies waiting for my kids when we arrived. My husband was able to rearrange the furniture in the loft so that we did have two separate "spaces" and we were provided with a folding screen to additionally separate the space. It is also within very convenient walking distance to virtually everything in Plymouth. The innkeepers were flexible and allowed us to leave 1 night earlier than planned and refunded us for that night.

However, there were many drawbacks. The room is actually in the attic. The roof is very sloped, so my 6'5" husband and my nearly 6' self had a hard time getting around. It is also incredibly hot. We did arrive during a heat wave, however being in the attic made the weather even more uncomfortable. We were given a small window air conditioner which did not have enough power to cool the living/sleeping area. The immense bathroom remained un-airconditioned. We left the exhaust fan on and were given a window fan, but it was still very uncomfortable. The bathroom had a sliding pocket door that only had a handle on the outside. It wouldn't close all the way and was very difficult to open from the inside (my kids kept getting stuck inside). The sofa bed my children shared had a dirty mattress pad on it which we took off. We were given the sheets and had to make their bed ourselves. Our bed was nicely made but all of our towels were ripped, fraying and some had stains on it. Our sheets were changed part-way through our stay, but they put on mismatched sheets in exchange. Additionally, when the sofabed is open, the door to exit the room can only open enough for one person at a time enter or exit.

Finally, the strangest thing. The room has its own private entrance from the outside. As we walked up the outside stairs to the 3rd floor loft/attic we noticed that on the second floor there was a room which a young woman LIVED in. You could see her laundry basket, shoe rack, etc. easily from the landing. This individual was not the innkeper or the owner. We were more than a little perplexed to see that at a place that calls itself a B&B has a permanent resident.

I like places that are different, have character and are not the run of the mill. But this place has too many discomforts for either a family vacation or a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MarylandMarie08
aubgladstone, Owner at Auberge Gladstone, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2009

Every issue here has been addressed...We have new innkeepers, new air conditioner, and new linens. The house has just been completely re-vamped with a new roof, windows, and a historic renovation of the exterior including new paint. We feel that this guest experienced an unfortunate and rare turn of events. Our second floor guests, btw, are actually assistant innkeepers!

Reviewed July 9, 2008

My partner, Maureen & I stayed at Auberge Gladstone's Loft Suite on two occasions. We stayed over the long Thanksgiving Day week-end, November 2007 & a week-end in March 2008.

A modern bath, historic charm & central location to all the attractions make this Plymouth Guesthouse ideal for a romantic getaway.

It is also a lovely home-base from which to explore New England's first settlement.

Hans Wriedt,
Exeter, New Hampshire

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We just returned from a trip to Cape Cod, and stayed two nights at Auberge Gladstone. Plymouth is such a quaint, charming town and the Auberge couldn't have a better location. It's within walking distance to the waterfront and all of Main Street's shopping. We stayed in the 3rd floor loft, and the room is fabulous, clean and bright and decorated with contemporary furnishings. The bathroom spoiled us, with a huge clawfoot tub, large shower, and fluffy bathrobes. Having our own private entrance was really helpful when returning late at night. We didn't take advantage of the hot tub or cabana because the weather was in the 90's, but the outdoor area looked really nice. I have just two negatives to report, and one was based on the freakishly hot weather we experienced. The 3rd floor loft is outfitted with a tiny air conditioning unit, and the 90+ weather combined with being on the 3rd floor made for super toasty conditions. The last night was so bad that we pulled the mattress off the bed and laid it on the floor in front of the a/c unit. We tried to get ahold of the innkeepers to see about a fan, but never got anyone on the phone. I really don't think the head would have been a problem on a normal day. Now on to the breakfast, it is an extra $10 a night if you would like the European continental breakfast. Just skip it, and go and get something to eat somewhere in town, or buy something to stock the little fridge yourself. The $10 breakfast consisted of two cartons of yogurt, two plain engish muffins, butter, and a handful of granola. There were two of us, and we're not big eaters, but this seriously skimpy breakfast left us hungry. We'll know better next time. Overall a pleasant place to stay, the room is really great.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2008

After staying at the John Carver for each of the previous few years while visiting family, we decided to go off the beaten path and try the Auberge Gladstone last summer. It was simply wonderful and we'll definitely be going back. It is a quaint (yet with high speed internet!) bed and breakfast right in the heart of Plymouth and in walking distance to excellent restaurants and all the town has to offer. Memories of unwinding at the end of the day in the hot tub with a glass of wine make me almost eager to visit my in-laws again.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed April 14, 2008

My boyfriend and I went to the Gladstone to unwind for a quick weekend getaway. This was perfect for this. There are things to do because you are right by all the Plymouth sights but we found ourselves content in the peaceful 3rd floor loft that we stayed in. There is a huge shower and seperate clawfoot tub looking up into a skylight. We made a CD of our favorite music prior to going to the Gladstone and popped it into the stereo of the jacuzzi there. It is a beautiful setting; you feel like your in paradise in that jacuzzi no matter what the weather is like!--it was quite chilly when we were there! The innkeepers give you your privacy but are available if needed. I cannot imagine a better place to stay in Plymouth for a night or more!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple