“Happy Place”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is the place to sip a happy frozen drink on the patio. Best chips and salsa anywhere in the northeast. Prices on food are a bit high, but not outrageous.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The atmosphere of this place is the best thing about it. The drinks were good as well. The food is lacking flavor. Everything could of used more spices/seasoning. We had Gucamole with our chips, big portion but only had a couple scoops out of it. Salsa was very mild and there is no hot sauce on the table to spice it up. My husband had enchiladas and I had a shredded beef chimichanga. Both needed something more.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We eat here probably once a month and are never disappointed. You are greeted with a large bowl of salsa and chips which are awesome. I am a creature of habit so rarely stray from my el grande combo but when I do I am never unhappy. Portions are huge and fairly priced

1  Thank Mark K
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've been here several times, and thought it would be a good place to have dinner with my daughter on a Thursday night. I like the location, the big windows, the ample portions and the Negra Modelo beer. Unfortunately this time things did not go well. First, we were seated upstairs in a booth that had a wobbly backrest. As soon as other diners were seated behind me the backrest was a problem, pushing against me every time the woman on the other side moved. We were moved to another table. Then, the chips and salsa just weren't anything special, no flavor, no particular zing in the salsa. When our dinners came, I was shocked to find my chicken fajita salad was comprised mostly of big chunks of old iceburg lettuce with brown edges. The chicken on top was ok, the guacamole was flavorless, the lettuce rather gross. I showed the waitress and told her she should show the folks in the kitchen the poor quality food they were serving. I didn't ask for any favors, but the manager did approach us and apologized for the food, took my dinner off the bill and gave a coupon for a discount on a future visit. Although this gesture was appreciated I don't think I will be back.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

As San Diego natives, my boyfriend & I had high expectations. Went on a Thursday night & impressed w/ the 'meal deals', the service was great, along w/ the house margaritas & chips & salsa. The beef chimichanga was huge & tasty, my Bf ordered the enchiladas & loved the pork! Only thing that could have made it more 'authentic' would be the music..we will be going back!

Been to Sam Diego's? Share your experiences!