“Plymouth” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Plymouth
Short Hills, New Jersey
“Plymouth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Great hotel, close to local attractions and easy access to highways to Boston. Clean, friendly and easy to get around hotel and to park. Liked complimentary coffee in lobby. Convenient shops and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

PlymouthHiltonMgr, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I am very happy to read the comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and the hotel to your satisfaction. Hope to see you return soon....safe travels.

Kelly Lajoie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Springfield, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this Garden Inn for a wedding a friend had at Plymouth Plantation. Everyone in our party seemed happy with their rooms and the hotel, including us. I wasn't especially impressed with the (additional cost) breakfast, but I travel a lot and so I feel I have a lot to compare it to. Others in our party were delighted with the breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Eric S
PlymouthHiltonMgr, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thanks for taking the time for the great review and hope to see you again soon at the Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth, Ma!! Enjoy the summer.

Kennebunk, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The Hilton Garden Hotel is centrally located to many areas in the Plymouth, MA locale. Accommodations were good, clean, well lighted at night with very professional and knowledgable staff. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel or stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am very happy to read the comments about your stay and glad that you found the location and amenities of our hotel to your satisfaction. Hope to see you return soon. Have a great summer!!

Lynn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for just one night but would have liked to stay longer. Our room was clean and bed very comfortable.. Breakfast at their restaurant was very good however not included in rate. Nice shopping in the area and the center of town is lovely and on the beach. We are looking forward to a return trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
I am very happy to read the comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and amenities of our hotel to your satisfaction. We look forward to your next visit. Hope to see you return soon....safe travels.

Wilmington, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I spent over a month at this location on business and shared a room with my colleague and we worked opposing 12 hour shifts. As I finished writing this, I changed my rating from "Average" to "Poor" based on some things I experienced during my stay that I could not overlook, or forgive. Whether average or poor, my stay and this place as a whole was less than stellar, or at least much less than what I would expect from the Hilton brand. Now that I've had a chance to calm down from my checkout experience this morning, which I will explain later, I will attempt to give an objective review of this hotel.

I will start with the good first:
- The maid who provided service at night due to mine and my roommate's schedule was awesome and always did a great job.
- The Internet speed is good and generally the connection is reliable - generally around 3 Mbps, which is a decent speed for a hotel.
- The beds are very comfortable with softer pillows. Never had a bad night's sleep due to the feel of the beds.
- Water pressure in the shower is good and water temperature is pretty consistent.
- Rooms are pretty large. The two queen bed room we were in had a nice desk, office chair, and chair/ottoman.
- The TV was a nice, large flat screen (42"). I was able to hook up my Playstation to it with an HDMI cable. Games and my recorded TV episodes were very clear on the screen.
- The fridge is a decent size.
- There are two washers and two dryers. Both are $1.00 each which I find cheap for any hotel laundry. 30 minutes each load. Thumbs up there.
- Cookies at 6. Very good.
- Proximity to 99 Restaurant - within walking distance. And it's worth the walk. Good food there.

The bad:
- Bathroom is not very well lit and there is no bathroom fan. This is a major pet peeve of mine because not removing moisture creates mold, which was easily seen on the shower curtain. Also, the tub is not textured. A couple of times I slipped and nearly injured myself.
- The fridge does not get cold enough. There wasn't a temperature dial in the fridge (obviously by design), but my "cold water" was a shade below lukewarm at best.
- Can't open the windows, well, not by the end of my stay. At the beginning I could (and there were stops so they could only slide open about 6"), but my last night there I wanted to air out the room a bit as the weather finally got warm, I could not open the windows. Disappointing.
- Wallpaper repair by the window consisted of a piece of blue painter's tape. Classy.
- The breakfast was average, at best - standard fare of eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, waffles, etc. No better or worse than any other chain where it's complimentary (more on that later).
- The TV is annoying to use until you learn the quirks of it. You have to cursor over to get to the TV stations and if you go to select a different input before the movie promos cycle, the input will go back to the TV.
- Rooms are not well sound-proofed, especially when the sound comes the hallway. That was very evident when I was subjected to the "sounds of passion" in the room next to mine, kids screaming in the halls, doors slamming, and people yelling in the halls.
- No replacement towels if used ones were left in the hallway in the morning. I've stayed at quite a few hotels during my travels over the years and just about every one I've spent an extended stay in at least had a bag of replacement towels by the door. Again, we were working 12 hour shifts. Sleep is necessary. I don't think it's too much to ask that if you're not going to clean the room to at least drop off replacement towels.
- A couple of the front desk people seem either indifferent or ignorant about customer service, or are just going through the motions. Hint: rolling your eyes when on a phone with a customer while another customer is standing in front of you is not a wise move. Makes me wonder how you react to me when I ask a question that you find trivial or nonsense.
- Parking sucks when the pool is open to the public and when the businesses in the plaza are still open.

The ugly:
Some people may think I'm petty for some of the things I'm about to list here, and that's fine. When you are paying for a hotel room, whether at a discount or not, some things just rub you the wrong way, and these, to me, are things I cannot overlook.
- $12 breakfast. Really? For a continental breakfast, you want to charge $12? I understand that there is someone at the ready to cook a custom dish, but I wouldn't pay $12 at Friendly's down the road, much less a small "restaurant" in a hotel. Just about every place I've stayed at with a similar breakfast, this is a complimentary part of the room.
- In the same vein regarding the breakfast, I stayed for 36 nights and used my "breakfast pass" 6 times. As a Hilton Honors member, you would think I might be ok for a free breakfast after I check out, along with my roommate. Obviously not.
- Not having a routine night housekeeper. I don't fault the only woman who was doing this. It's not her fault. To me it's the fault of management for not having a plan in place to take care of people who may be working nights. This hotel gets this kind of business every 2 years. You would think that they would have some things figured out by now.
- Not paying attention to the customer. When someone tells you that they want to pay up a balance for the room, and there are two people listed on the room, it's a good idea to use THEIR card to charge the room, not their roommate's card.
- Telling the customer what the balance is before you charge their card is not only polite, but good business practice. I can't see what's on your screen, so communicating a balance to me before I hand you a card, in case there are questions, will win you major points with 99.9% of customers.
- And as far as checking out, when two people are standing in front of you, again, calling out the balance is good, as well as asking who is going to pay for the room. Do not automatically ASSUME that the card on file is going to pay the balance. Assumptions are not welcome in customer service. Always always always ask!

Overall, I am extremely disappointed with this hotel and I will have serious reservations about staying here in the future, especially for an extended stay. While the rooms are nice, modern, and cozy, the rest of the things just aren't worth the trouble. I have stayed in cheaper hotels and gotten as much, if not better service. It would take a whole lot of convincing to get me back there and to recommend this place to anyone.

If I come this way again for work, I will choose from places that my other colleagues stayed in and have spoken of a good experience.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, take note that the rooms near the elevator are noisy. Rooms on the same...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brian_Longo
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. I ahve shared all of your comments with the staff so we can strive to make your next stay a better one! Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Had a comfortable stay even though it was for one night only, our room adjoined a family member's room which was convenient for us. Our rooms were very nice and clean and quiet. We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

I am very happy to read the comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and amenities of our hotel to your satisfaction. Hope to see you return soon and enjoy the summer.

Park City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night with my husband and two children on a family vacation. We chose this hotel because we were visiting Plymouth, and it was centrally located to everything- close to shops, restaurants, Rte 3, Plymouth Plantation, etc. We are Hilton Honors members, so one of the reasons we chose this hotel was because it came with free wifi and free breakfast for the 4 if us. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant was good, as well. My children also enjoyed using the pool. It was the perfect hotel choice for us.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that our team members took such good care of you, tht you enjoyed breakfast and you found the amenities of our hotel to your liking. Hope to see you return soon!

Kelly Lajoie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
John Carver Inn & Spa
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#8 of 9 in Plymouth
Baymont Inn & Suites Kingston Plymouth Bay

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth? Share your experiences!