“Nice atmosphere, lousy food”
Review of Nix's Plymouth - CLOSED

Nix's Plymouth
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Nice atmosphere, lousy food”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We purchased a Groupon for Nixs and decided to use it around 9 pm on a Friday night. We were seated immediately and after about 10 minutes the waiter came over to explain the Groupon restrictions. The DJ was playing music with nobody on the dance floor... Sort of out of place and way too loud (maybe I am just getting old).

We started with the shrimp skewers. 3 shrimp in a peanut sauce. The shrimp smelled fishy, definitely not fresh! If you go here, DO NOT order this app!

I had the special, mixed grill. It had steak tips, shrimp and scallops with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. The shrimp were actually decent on this dish, however the scallops were bland, the tips were undercooked, bland, and a bit tough. The mashed potatoes were wicked bland...I'm not sure if the chef knows how to use seasoning. I love corn on the cob, but this was the most inedible corn I have ever had. I took one bite and couldn't eat it.

My wife had the burger. Ordered it medium. Came out rare. It was bland as well. She liked the fries.
The beer selection was decent with some good craft brews available. The wine by glass selection was only cheap plonk.

I am glad we had a Groupon because I would not have felt good about paying full price for that meal. With all of the choices we have in Plymouth, I can't say I will be back. I am surprised since they have a sister restaurant in Boston. These are not Boston standards!

• Visited September 2013

“UNBELIEVABLE, and not in a good way.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is our second visit to the restaurant. The first time you could sense they were working out the kinks but the food was ok and the server was adequate so we gave it another try. Big Mistake.

Let me say the initial atmosphere is very nice and somewhat sophisticated with a partial view of the bay. There is an area in the back of the restaurant that leads to a decent outdoor seating patio. But down the hall and in between the two, which is where we were seated the second visit, didn't go at all with the other parts of the restaurant. It seemed like an afterthought, very seafood shackish if you will, casual and out of place.

Party of 6 adults on a SATURDAY night of a HOLIDAY weekend, any restaurant in a tourist town would be prepared, right? After THREE tries at ordering a simple COSMO, all of which were truly vile, we switched to Proseco. Our waitress, who was very sweet, new, inexperienced and lacked proper basic training, informed us ALL of the "land" items were not available as the chef who runs the smoker is in the hospital, so no brisket, ribs, chicken, yet pulled pork was available for the quesadillas? No backup chef? Wonderful. Well we are dining on Cape Cod Bay so seafood should be good.

Apps were surprisingly yummy... quesadillas full of flavor and nice presentation, fried whole belly clams with a delicious sauce and fresh raw oysters. (They were out of horseradish, come on, run to the grocery store down the street, really?) Unfortunately the caesar salad dressing tasted like watered down mayonnaise with absolutely no flavor. They would have been better off serving a bottled brand of any kind. And the dead "fruit fly" looking thing on the romaine was kinda gross.

We asked what beers were available on tap, she wasn't certain and said we could walk over to the bar (in the other room) and take a look. Seriously? Once a selection was made (2 beers) she didn't know which was which and kindly said we had to figure it out.

Then we ordered dinner.... wedge burger, a little too charred on the outside and slightly overcooked with limp fries, fish tacos with mushy breading and no flavor, grilled veggie salad with steak which was cooked perfectly but ICE cold and there was an unidentifiable substance trying to resemble couscous on a lettuce leaf as part of the presentation, not impressive at all. Then there were the two tuna burgers, our waitress was relieved to inform us there were only TWO left! She then returns to the table mortified that they didn't have our tuna burgers. WOW. Out of tuna burgers at 8pm. Later on, two other waitresses and the GM, who has not stopped at our table once to address any of the problems we have experienced, brought out our dinner, SURPRISE, two tuna burgers, where in the world did they come from? PLus an extra entree that didn't belong to us. They were cooked well but the slaw was a big wet mess and made the buns soggy. We expressed our complaints to our server. In the end the only comp we received was for the three cosmos (that were never even consumed to begin with, and one of the two tasteless buggy caesar salads, that was IT! We told the very sweet waitress we would never return and she should get a job a a restaurant that in being run properly. It's clear they were not at all prepared for the nights service. And still, no GM to come over and persuade us to apologize for the disaster of an experience and possibly persuade us to give them another chance.

Meanwhile a band is setting up RIGHT NEXT TO our table as we are waiting for the check. One of the members proceeds to bang our table with the chairs he was relocating, enough to rattle us and the contents of the table. Did he say a word, not at all. It's as if we were in the way. Unbelievable.

We will not return. Oh wait, I have a groupon, I'd be better off giving it away to a tourist.

• Visited August 2013
Plymouth,MA
“Nice place to go for a drink”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Nice place, not very busy for Labor Day wknd, live music was good, service could have been a little better, food was ok

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Raw Turkey Burger and Rancid Linguine Sauce”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Appetizers: Truffle Fries and Quahog Lollipops -

Truffle Fries - Soggy, greasy and lukewarm: 8$
"Quahog" lollipops - I defy anyone to find a big enough piece of quahog in this pile of dough: 9$

Main Course: (after we had been told they were out of half of the menu) Turkey burger (with an added salad or fries? and extra 1.50). LInguine and Clams.

Turkey Burger was RAW. Not a little, but except for a little browning on the outer layer - the entire patty was raw. If my daughter had not cut her burger in half she would have had a bite of raw turkey. So disgusting. We complained and the manager came over as if he was doing us a favour. His first words, "Sorry for the mix up". What mix up? Had someone else ordered the raw turkey? I told him there was no mix up and he proceeded to give me attitude as if I had done something wrong.

The burger came back, it was obviously on the same bun as before - bad move. When you cut raw meat on a bun the juices seep into the bread. They gave us a raw patty and couldn't even be bothered to give us a new bun and patty. It was the same meat - but cooked through this time.

My linguine and clams looked like it was from some sort of bad high school cafeteria - there was so much grease coagulating in clumps. And the sauce had turned rancid. Yuck.

We will not be going back.

Try Anna's right across the way - better service and you won't get sick from eating the food.

• Visited September 2013
Herefordshire
“Great cocktails and good live music”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a good bar/dinner for cocktails, beer and live music on a Saturday evening and the food is reasonably good, but it is more bar standard than restaurant quality.
The atmosphere is relaxed and the staff are friendly.

Visited August 2013