“Don't Tell Anybody!”

Rye Tavern
Ranked #19 of 203 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston
“Don't Tell Anybody!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Sat at the outside bar this evening, beautiful evening, great service from Richard the bartender and really good food. We started out with a couple of cocktails and the aranchini appetizer, finished with the swordfish and port tenderloin. Really nice setting and fresh ingredients. Will definitely go back.

1 Thank anngeojes

Beverly, Massachusetts
“Really delicious”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had a lovely evening on Rye Tavern's patio enjoying delicious food. We were sure that the directions were incorrect while driving there as the location is extremely rural and set in a wooded area. However, the drive is worth it. Actually, it isn't that far from Plymouth, as the crow flies, it just seems a tad remote during the drive. The decision to come here was based on Tripadvisor reviews, by the way.

The food is local, humane, and sustainable which pleased me very much. Both my husband and I had the burger which was delicious. We can't speak for the other things on the menu which was very seductive, by the way. The ambience is lovely and the service was excellent. People watching was also entertaining. Highly recommended.

1 Thank kathymanelis
Taunton, Massachusetts
“We will be Back for Dinner!!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I agree with Hugh, "Thank you Trip Advisor"

We were looking for some place we had not been to, since we happen to be in the Plymouth area. We found this on TA and based on the reviews we decided to stop in. Easy to find, but in a very obscure location, it was a damp day so I look forward to coming back and sitting outside. We were there very early and we had already had lunch, we sat at the bar, the bartender (I did not get her name) was very attentive and seemed excited about explaining some items on the drink menu. We took her recomendation and tried the chowder, it was very unique and the flavors really worked well together. We viewed the menu and this is very much on our short list to come in for dinner! What an incredible find!

1 Thank Len H
“Fresh, delicious, elegant”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants for the following reasons: the food is local, farm to table, grass fed beef, tastes fresh and amazing. I haven't had a bad experience here and I've been for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Natick, Massachusetts
“Orchestra of Flavors in this Hidden Jewel”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Thank you Trip Advisor. Would not have decided to go to Rye Tavern without the high quality reviews they had already received. Located on Old Sandwich Rd, I was glad our trusty GPS was working correctly on the Friday night we looked for the tavern. Out of nowhere on this part dirt road, Rye Tavern is clearly visible--just look for the numerous cars in the parking lot.
My wife and I got a little corner table walking in around 8PM Friday night. All other tables were filled. 200 year old tavern had plenty of old time atmosphere-with the thick beam ceilings and the creaky wood floor. Adequate wine list. My wife and I were handed the 1 page menu on a clipboard. Server told us that the menu had just changed and today was the 1st of the new menu. Not sure how often they change the menu, but our server said they have a garden in the back and would use that in their next menu. We were brought some home made bread and butter to start. Have to say-the cinnamon bread was absolutely incredible. Wasnt quite sweet enough to be a dessert bread, but I like that the cinnamon was the showcase of the bread. There was an accompanying oatmeal bread which we topped with the home made butter (had red pepper flakes mixed in?). I would have been satisfied just eating the bread as the entrees, After a couple tasty fresh salads, our selected entrees were a grilled sesame tuna with wasabi quinoa and a nightly special of chipotle salmon. Both entrees were around $25. Both dishes were impeccable. Each having 2 or 3 complementary exploding flavors that completely balanced. I wanted more and more. Portion size was good. We passed on dessert. Dinner was around $100 for the 2 of us-including a bottle of wine. Well worth it for our special night out.
After spending the following day in Plymouth center and reviewing some of the menus available for dinner at the water side restaurants, my wife and I decided that the Rye Tavern was so good, we would go back again that night. We had to wait around 30 minutes around 6PM for a table, but they do have a small bar where we waited. There are quite a few local beers available. We were not disappointed that the bread was available again. And thank you to our server who brought us a second basket of bread. I started with the chilled corn soup which reminded me of gazpacho. Surprisingly great flavors with the corn, cucumber and chive oil. This time for entrees we had the steak frites and seared sea bass. The steak was cooked perfect and I do not like spinach, but the creamed spinach side was really good. My wife's sea bass was meaty, but she said they served too many black beans with it. Again, we had to pass on dessert although from what we saw on others tables, they looked awesome. 2 for 2, another great dining experience.
I have a feeling if we come back next year, it will be harder to get a table. The food is as good as it gets. Service was friendly and prompt. Value is reasonable. Wine prices by the glass were high. Tables are a little close together and it is noisy. Those are minor flaws--The Rye Tavern is in it's 2nd year and it is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited May 2013