Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $57.00
from $105.00
from $64.00
2,089 results
All reviews english village native americans wampanoag village indian village living history museum their roles role players their lives ask questions mayflower ii re enactors school children gift shop step back in time early settlers character actors re creation
Reviewed 5 days ago

Been to so many historic places that disappoint.... Williamsburg for example has pretty much decided that it's too much trouble to deliver real history to people. They don't bother with interpreters anymore. And it's really hard to have people live role pay historic roles well. But Plimoth Plantation pulls it off. It's atmospheric and totally engaging. The interpreters do SUCH a good job at VERY challenging work. They stay in character and offer not only rich history but manage to personalize it for each visitor.
They, above all, make this such a unique and compelling place to visit. (God, I hope they pay them well!). Kids loved it; adults loved it. There should be more places like this.

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

Living museum where you can see a replica of the original Plimoth Plantation. Our kids got a real kick out of the villagers staying in character and enjoyed speaking with them and trying their hand at milling flour.

Very cool to see the pilgrim village and a nearby Wampanoag village as well.

Reviewed 6 days ago

I know this isn't cheap but it was one of our favorite historical experiences of our time in Boston. We loved how authentic the Pilgrim actors were! My husband asked so many questions and they never stepped out of character and offered such great perspectives. We started at the back, then ended at the Wampanoag Village. We loved learning how they experienced life as well. We went in the middle of the week so the crowds were not bad. The gift shops were nice as well. We brought a sack lunch to eat.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Always fun to visit! Prepare for a bit of walking as well so bring good boots and hat and gloves. Not a great place with a stroller

Reviewed 1 week ago

My cousin & I visited here on a bus tour and I'd heard of it years ago so was looking forward to it. I'd say it was a mixed bag-some good, some not so good. The location and look of the place is excellent, but our experiences in the Wampanoag Indian village part weren't so great.. It was mostly deserted-only 2 Indians there-a man & his wife at different spots. The man seemed friendly enough and was good about answering everyone's questions-UNTIL HE STARTED TALKING POLITICS. I came for a history lesson to learn how life was for the Wampanoag Indians back in the 1600's-NOT to hear political negativity! It's a big mistake to have the traditionally-dressed Indians speaking in modern terms -unlike the authentic pilgrims who stick to history-a more unique and valuable and interesting experience! So I left and went over to his wife who was cooking & weaving. I asked her some questions but she didn't even look up and seemed a bit unfriendly-perhaps resentful-? That was enough for me! I proceeded to the pilgrim colony area and found it very charming and exciting-it looked like some of the movies I've seen that were filmed there. It was a larger area with many houses with family names on them, and we were told in the movie (at visitor center) to just walk in as you would a neighbor's home. They were interesting and seemed authentic but mostly had no one there to interact with.. The advertising says there are colonists in traditional dress acting the parts of real people from the 1600's and performing tasks. I only saw 4 total "pilgrims" at only 3 spots and they were all either sitting or standing outside their homes but not performing any tasks-disappointing! The two I did speak with were great and I had fun interacting with them-just wished there were more and that they were doing something "historical". I did also speak with 2 modernly-dressed workers so could ask "modern" questions-like about the movies filmed there which is of great interest to me and I'd have liked to see photos & info. about that There's so much potential here-perhaps it was a bad time of year-though fall is a busy tourist time.
I spoke with 2 artisans-a candle maker & a weaver-who were very approachable & informative. The gift shops' staff were also very friendly & helpful and I saw so many interesting potential souvenirs, but unfortunately I'd left too little time and had to rush my shopping to get back to our bus. Unfortunately the Mayflower II wasn't there so we went to the Grist Mill where the 2 ladies were very knowledgeable & friendly. I did rate Plimoth Plantation as "very good" despite the negative elements, since I do think it has great potential and perhaps it was an "off day". So I would recommend a visit but hope other people have a more positive experience there!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Living only a few miles from the first Plymouth and the setting off place for the Pilgrims, this was always a must do visit. How disappointed we were.
The priorities seem to be way off and insinuates an undercurrent of something that shall be nameless in this review. Suffice to say that vast amounts of money has been spent on cavernous buildings with gift shops and cafeteria that could have been half the size, the Plimoth Village is very good as the staff were plentiful, very engaging and knowledgeable, what upset us was the total lack of respect and disregard for the Native village, no investment, only 2 members of staff who gave information, empty sections and very run down with little interest in making it interesting. As I say, a strange application of resources. It looks as if the Native Village was an afterthought that must be put in to satisfy some weird PC statement. If you want to include it, then make it a full and important part of the experience, if it is a PC statement, then pull it out as you insult the very people you are trying, badly, to please, the indigenous population.
This place is so wrong as it is.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We learned about Plimoth Plantation when we arrived to the Cape and make a last minute decision to visit on a rainy Saturday. We purchased the package to visit Plimoth Plantations, the Grist and 'What would you do' experience. Plimoth Plantations was a unique, educational experience and we loved it. Wear rain boots and take an umbrella if needed. Fires were going inside the dwellings which made for nice warmth. Crowds were light due to rain. We enjoyed conversing with the actors and volunteers to learn about life in the village. Fascinating! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a wonderful place to visit. You will go back in time to 1620s and learn how the Pilgrims lived, worked and survived during the time period. Come and learn the life they lived. Great for families and those who want to learn how they survived the harsh winters.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We spent a few hours here and thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

The reconstructed native and settler buildings are interesting, but what really makes it special are the staff, both those acting in character within the homes and the general guides in everyday clothes who bring it all to life with their knowledge of history.

During our trip in October 2018, around half the homes had one or more character actors inside undertaking activities that would have been done by those from the 17th - for example working with wood, or cooking dinner on an open fire. Their accents were outstanding - as visitors from the UK we were able to identify Cornish, London, Scottish and Irish accents. They stayed in character throughout and would ask you questions and reply to your own questions as if you had just arrived on a ship; it was completely convincing.

Special mention to Dan, one of the roving guides, who gave us lots of his time answering our questions and providing more information about what it must have been like all those years ago.

1  Thank Stuart K
Reviewed 1 week ago

Plimouth Plantation is really interesting. You learn so much when you go the only issue that I have with it is the price. It can be almost affordable to take a family because $31 and adult it can be a little costly.

2  Thank bostonguy87