“Not impressed”

$57.00*
Go Boston Card
Ranked #1 of 70 things to do in Plymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Plimoth Plantation, less than an hour south of Boston and 15 minutes from Cape Cod, is a living museum dedicated to telling the history of Plymouth Colony from the perspective of both the Pilgrims and the Native Wampanoag people. The museum, a Smithsonian Affiliate, features the 17th-Century English Village, Wampanoag Homesite, Craft Center, Plimoth Grist Mill and new waterfront exhibit "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?" Enjoy independent films at Plimoth Cinema and local produce & goods at the weekly Plymouth Farmers' Market. Please note that Mayflower II, our iconic full-scale reproduction of the original ship that sailed to Plymouth in 1620, is currently undergoing restoration. She will return to Plymouth Harbor in 2019. Visit our website for more on this exciting project!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We went there with such high hopes, but left without much hope. The best thing I can say is there cafeteria was good. I started conversations with several of the actors and it felt like I was bothering them with my questions. The kids didn't enjoy it at all and even my husband said he was disappointed. I would not go again.

1  Thank Debbie M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,004)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our daughter is spending a year in Boston area, so we have been helping find some attractive places to visit for her family. By travelling south from Boston one can find this well done museum about the Englishmen who arrived at Plymouth in 1620. We enjoyed the 1627 English Village recreation with burning fires, livestock roaming, actors in character (mainly Devonian accents to our ears) and varied interiors to buildings. We also used the Children's discovery area which our small ones greatly enjoyed. The shops were too enticing. It is large and requires quite a bit of walking. But it is worthwhile enough to buy a season ticket. The exhibition on Thanksgiving was informative, but of course they try to be very politically correct so go warned that history is rewritten from Native American point of view (which is of course reasonable, if it were balanced by the European settler opinion, sadly neglected).

1  Thank gwgMimsFlorida
Reviewed September 4, 2013

In the Pilgrim Village, only a few of the character actors wanted to engage in conversation. We received mostly yes and no answers to questions, My 10 yr old daughter is shy, so we were hoping that the actors would be a bit more forthcoming with information.....Kind of disappointing! Did have some good conversations with the Native Americans in the Wampanoag village.

2  Thank CarolNapa
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just so well done, and beautiful. This is a unique experience, the intrepretors are extremely knowledgeable. If we lived closer we would get a membership- it's excellent.

1  Thank Meaghan D
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This has been on my bucket list. Each of the villages seemed authentic enough and the actors stayed in character. I learned something in both places, which was as it should be. Actors in the Native American village will tell you that if they were being as authentic as possible, like the English village, then visitors would not understand them, because they would be speaking in their native language.I was not disappointed by the 2 villages but I was disappointed that the barn which should have had more heritage species in it had a llama instead.i have read how they were trying to save heritage species and did not see much evidence of it. There were various animals in the English village. Other than the llama and some goats at the barn there was no information, much less any staff to educate visitors. We ate a lunch of traditional items which was very good in the cafeteria area.