“Good place for children...”
Review of Plimoth Plantation

$625.20*
Private Day Trip From Boston to Plimoth Plantation
Ranked #2 of 70 things to do in Plymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Plimoth Plantation, less than an hour south of Boston and 15 minutes from Cape Cod, is a living museum dedicated to telling the history of Plymouth Colony from the perspective of both the Pilgrims and the Native Wampanoag people. The museum, a Smithsonian Affiliate, features the 17th-Century English Village, Wampanoag Homesite, Craft Center, Plimoth Grist Mill and new waterfront exhibit "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?" Enjoy independent films at Plimoth Cinema and local produce & goods at the weekly Plymouth Farmers' Market. Please note that Mayflower II, our iconic full-scale reproduction of the original ship that sailed to Plymouth in 1620, is currently undergoing restoration. She will return to Plymouth Harbor in 2019. Visit our website for more on this exciting project!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have always wanted to see this place and stopped there on my own on an extra day of vacation before meeting up with some of my family. I was very glad I did. The prices that they charge are a little high, but I used my AAA card and got a small discount. As a social studies teacher, I could really see bringing my students to this living history museum. Sure, like any historical site where people dress in period costume, there are small historical inaccuracies. However, I could see how my students would leave with a more emotional connection to the people of Plimoth and a sense of how raw and difficult their lives were. I found myself personally amazed on the replica of the Mayflower as I imagined how so many people lived in such small space for so long. It made me really think and feel more of a connection to the Pilgrims. Kudos to the Native Americans who work in the "Indian Village." It was a great decision to allow them to not use 17th century English so that they could reference the history of their people. That history is usually forgotten by many Americans (many of whom assume that they just died out or moved out).

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We spent a full day and still did not get to see it all--the "Pilgrims" always stay in character and add so much to the overall experience. Visiting here near Thanksgiving made it very special. The Native Americans have a great living/working area and have loads of information to share. Fascinating experience for young and old alike. An excellent value.

Plimoth P, Guest Relations Manager at Plimoth Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for the great review! I am so happy you had a good time. If you purchase a membership then you may come as many times as you like in the year to see what's happening with the change in each season. Thanks again!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Plimouth Plantation, more correctly, a recreation of the Plimouth colony circa 1627, and displaced about 3 miles south of the original location, has a very nice authentic feel to it. It's not nearly as picture perfect as, say, Colonial Williamsburg, which makes it feel all the more authentic. The staff - not sure how many are paid vs. volunteer - dress in what seems to be period correct clothing and really engage with visitors in a pretty unscripted manner, just talking about history, life back then, and the like. It's great for kids, they can run around and explore, and if you go in sort of off season, you can almost have the place to yourself.

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

This was my second time and first with the new layout. I found the entire experience improved and great. A wonderful chance to ask question explore and learn on your own. Like a choose your own adventure vacation.
All I interacted with were knowledgeable and excited to speak with you- even let you participate in the fun. I helped make cornmeal. Another group carried water for a pilgrim girl. We had a lively talk with the town elder about religious freedom.

The more you put in the more you get out. So go for it- open doors, help, ask, chase the chickens.

And here is a secret- go to the Jenney Mill the next day and you might meet a Pilgrim friend as they share the same staff.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was a very hands-on experience and we loved exploring the different houses and sites. It's fun to see how life was back then and see all the people doing different jobs. We loved the animals to! Overall it ws a great place for families with young children and it was very educational and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We also loved the giftshop.