“Fun Informative Tour”
Review of Colonial Lantern Tours - CLOSED

Colonial Lantern Tours
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Evening Tour that started at 700p on a beautiful Saturday Night that took us through different sights around Plymouth. Lasted around 1 1/2 hrs. There were 8 in our group so it was easy to hear the tour guide. Walk was at a slow place and you were able to ask questions throughout the night. Tour Guide was knowledgeable and loved what he was doing!

1  Thank PAULALAW

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had a wonderful time on the Ghosts and History tour a few years back in Plymouth. I'm a local but wanted to do something fun so my brother and I went on this tour. The guide was friendly and knowledgable without any bit of "hokeyness" to them. The tour was wonderful and I really enjoyed the history lesson as well.

I went on the other "ghost tour" last night and found it to be overdramatic and hokey. It was completely overdone and that was really not necessary as the stories are spooky enough on their own. I'd recommend this one over the "hearse" one!

1  Thank Amybcb
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Like a lot of tours, your experience depends almost completely on your tour guide. I have been on this one twice. The first guide was exceptional and we loved it, as did everyone in our group. Went back again with out-of-town visitors and it was kind of a drag. Guide did not seem too enthused about Plymouth. The lanterns add an element of fun and spookiness - kids enjoy it if it doesn't take too long. Some stairs and hills but in most cases there are workarounds if you can't make the climb.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was a little bit nervous going on the cranberry picking tour since I read the previous reviews. I already purchased the Groupon so I decided to just go and make the best of it.

The tours run every day at 2pm. I called to make a reservation about 3 hours before the tour because I forgot to call during the week. The women on the phone was great and preferred I print out the coupon. She instructed me that they meet at Berry Guy's farm located off Route 58 and not Flax Seed Farm listed on their website. Please call ahead to make sure to get the right meeting place!

We arrived around 1:50pm and pulled into a parking lot for about 10-12 cars. We found the two Colonial Lantern Tour guides since they were wearing yellow jackets. We walked inside the little farm stand which was cute but we went outside enjoyed the nice weather. Around 2:15pm the male tour guide told us that they would start collecting tickets and giving out our free bag of cranberries and dried cranberries. We lined up and handed our groupon over and received a bag for each person! I thought we were only going to get one bag per a couple. Woo hoo!

Next the tourguide pulled out two different kind of rakes and asked for volunteers to hold them. We walked around a bog next to the farm stand. He stopped us and explained some cool facts about cranberries, the bogs, and harvesting. I didn't know anything about cranberries so I found it really fascinating learning out the different types, history of the area, and dry vs wet harvesting.

We all piled on a school bus to head to the next farm. It was the second to last weekend they were offering the tour so there were two buses. We went on the first bus since we over heard the other tourguide say people were running behind because they went to Flax Seed instead of Berry Guys and we didn't want to wait on the second bus. We were off to a private farm and got to walk around a HUGE bog that had been harvest. The male tour guide was great as he grew up in the area so he knew a lot of information. He also took questions from people as we walked around the bogs. We got to harvest cranberries and walk on the bog. Mind you we were not in a wet bog so we didn't look like a Oceanspray commercial. I didn't care and started picking away and got to use the small rake to the antique rake. Our tourguide said use the antique rack for your facebook pictures!

I am not sure if they always provide a school bus since the other people's review said they drove. I would call ahead and ask the company to make sure. Also if you have someone in your group with disabilities it will be a struggle for them to get in the school bus. The walks around the bogs are smooth but we had a lot of puddles since it rained the night before.

We drove to a different farm to see two farmers who just flooded a bog. I was super excited since that is what I really wanted to see. The farmers kept their distance but later came over to say hello to us. I thought this was nice since it is peak season to harvest cranberries. The second bus didn't get to see this farm so I would recommend going with the male tour guide.

We left that farm back to Berry Guys farm. We had the option of going home or go to the third farm which was Flax Seed Farm. The majority of us took our own cars to the third farm and found it pretty easy with our GPS. The signs down there are super small so we are thankful for our GPS. At the 3rd farm we met a actual cranberry grower which was really fascinating! We went inside what I thought was a gift shop but there were two ladies giving us a tour of how to use a old time sorter.

Sadly we didn't live out our fantasy of being farmers like in the Oceanspray commercial but it was still really fun to harvest the cranberries dry. I really liked the tour and learn a lot! I hope my review can help give you a little bit of what to expect from the tour. Make sure to call them if you want to know more about the logistics. The tour ended around 4:30pm.

3  Thank D H
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I went on the tour with my teenage children and we thought it was very good. We arrived a 10 minutes late due to traffic but thankfully the tour was still there. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and the drivers were very nice. We saw bogs and even went on to them where we could pick cranberries and try out the old fashioned cranberry picker instrument. It was Educational, Interesting and FUN. Then we made our way to the farmer where a real Cranberry grower told us all about Cranberry History, Growing & Harvesting. Then we were invited into the Store which had a presentation of the old cranberry machinery. Also there were wonderful Cranberry items for sale. I bought Cranberry Tea which I can't wait to try, Cranberry Soap which smells wonderful and a few other items. It was a wonderful tour and I can't wait to go back next year : )