“Cranberry Picking Tour”

Boston, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Cranberry Picking Tour”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was a little bit nervous going on the cranberry picking tour since I read the previous reviews. I already purchased the Groupon so I decided to just go and make the best of it.

The tours run every day at 2pm. I called to make a reservation about 3 hours before the tour because I forgot to call during the week. The women on the phone was great and preferred I print out the coupon. She instructed me that they meet at Berry Guy's farm located off Route 58 and not Flax Seed Farm listed on their website. Please call ahead to make sure to get the right meeting place!

We arrived around 1:50pm and pulled into a parking lot for about 10-12 cars. We found the two Colonial Lantern Tour guides since they were wearing yellow jackets. We walked inside the little farm stand which was cute but we went outside enjoyed the nice weather. Around 2:15pm the male tour guide told us that they would start collecting tickets and giving out our free bag of cranberries and dried cranberries. We lined up and handed our groupon over and received a bag for each person! I thought we were only going to get one bag per a couple. Woo hoo!

Next the tourguide pulled out two different kind of rakes and asked for volunteers to hold them. We walked around a bog next to the farm stand. He stopped us and explained some cool facts about cranberries, the bogs, and harvesting. I didn't know anything about cranberries so I found it really fascinating learning out the different types, history of the area, and dry vs wet harvesting.

We all piled on a school bus to head to the next farm. It was the second to last weekend they were offering the tour so there were two buses. We went on the first bus since we over heard the other tourguide say people were running behind because they went to Flax Seed instead of Berry Guys and we didn't want to wait on the second bus. We were off to a private farm and got to walk around a HUGE bog that had been harvest. The male tour guide was great as he grew up in the area so he knew a lot of information. He also took questions from people as we walked around the bogs. We got to harvest cranberries and walk on the bog. Mind you we were not in a wet bog so we didn't look like a Oceanspray commercial. I didn't care and started picking away and got to use the small rake to the antique rake. Our tourguide said use the antique rack for your facebook pictures!

I am not sure if they always provide a school bus since the other people's review said they drove. I would call ahead and ask the company to make sure. Also if you have someone in your group with disabilities it will be a struggle for them to get in the school bus. The walks around the bogs are smooth but we had a lot of puddles since it rained the night before.

We drove to a different farm to see two farmers who just flooded a bog. I was super excited since that is what I really wanted to see. The farmers kept their distance but later came over to say hello to us. I thought this was nice since it is peak season to harvest cranberries. The second bus didn't get to see this farm so I would recommend going with the male tour guide.

We left that farm back to Berry Guys farm. We had the option of going home or go to the third farm which was Flax Seed Farm. The majority of us took our own cars to the third farm and found it pretty easy with our GPS. The signs down there are super small so we are thankful for our GPS. At the 3rd farm we met a actual cranberry grower which was really fascinating! We went inside what I thought was a gift shop but there were two ladies giving us a tour of how to use a old time sorter.

Sadly we didn't live out our fantasy of being farmers like in the Oceanspray commercial but it was still really fun to harvest the cranberries dry. I really liked the tour and learn a lot! I hope my review can help give you a little bit of what to expect from the tour. Make sure to call them if you want to know more about the logistics. The tour ended around 4:30pm.

3 Thank D H

Boston, Massachusetts
“Cranberries”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I went on the tour with my teenage children and we thought it was very good. We arrived a 10 minutes late due to traffic but thankfully the tour was still there. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and the drivers were very nice. We saw bogs and even went on to them where we could pick cranberries and try out the old fashioned cranberry picker instrument. It was Educational, Interesting and FUN. Then we made our way to the farmer where a real Cranberry grower told us all about Cranberry History, Growing & Harvesting. Then we were invited into the Store which had a presentation of the old cranberry machinery. Also there were wonderful Cranberry items for sale. I bought Cranberry Tea which I can't wait to try, Cranberry Soap which smells wonderful and a few other items. It was a wonderful tour and I can't wait to go back next year : )

223 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Organization needs to improve but enjoyable tour”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The price was right,being a special,and the tour guide knew how to track down the harvesting. I could see that the berry harvesting is a business that moves quickly and doesn't lend itself to preparing ahead to be at a specific place to see the operation. That being said, we were not told of a change in the meeting place but the people at Flax Farm were gracious to find out for us where to meet up with the guide. We found the guide to be very knowledgeable.

This is something that works better with a guide explaining the operation and leading you to the sites. The farms are free but that doesn't mean that they are harvesting when you arrive. The guide knew how to find the harvesting sites. We are not from the area and would have no idea how to get around alone. Our guide gave us a map but we followed him. The maps are for just in case we got separated. He actually watched out for out group.

We got to pick some cranberries. The guide gave us a bag of berries each and a package of dried berries. I am looking forward to making some fresh cranberry sauce. I was satisfied with the experience but it sounded as if the guide knew his short comings and was working to improve the organization.

1 Thank yellowbirdVermont
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Cranberry tour leaves a bitter taste”
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Tour prices was ko since we went through Travelzoo coupon. No way would we pay the the full price for a tour of this quality. We showed up early and thought we'd have some sense of organized directions from the tour company. Some woman took our voucher and no on every asked for it again. We could have walked in off the street for free as I know some people did. The tour started 25 minutes late. We walked around the bog, saw some harvesting going on, and learned some interesting facts. However, we were told that going to a secod farm, we could see an old machine farmers used to use to seperate cranberries. We were then told that by going to a third farm we could harvest cranberries ourselves. We had some vague directions from one of the guides that were ok. We finally picked some of our own and were finished pretty quick. This tour was unorganized and certainly not worth the price even with the coupon. We did end up with a good amount of cranberries. I'm sure there are better tours out there. Better yet, do some research yourself and go on your own time.

Abington, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Unorganized, unprofessional, waste of time and money.”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I attended the Cranberry Farm Tour this past weekend. It was beyond awful. The tour was extraordinarily unorganized. We arrived about 30 minutes early and were directed to a woman in a yellow jacket who was supposed to lead our tour. She told us to go to another farm where the tour would begin. Her directions were literally "Go down the street and turn left, then turn right, then turn left onto Route 58 and you'll find the farm, you can't miss it." We are not familiar with the area and we passed several bogs on the way to the correct farm. We eventually had to call the tour company who told us to go back to the first farm in order to get directions. After telling the woman on the phone that we would not go back to the first farm she finally gave us the name of the cranberry farm we were looking for and we managed to find it via our own GPS.
The situation at the second cranberry farm was not much better than the situation at the first farm. A woman gave us Google Maps directions back to the first farm and told us to head there. When we told her we had been there and had been told to come to the second farm she told us to find another guide. When we finally found the second guide he told us our tour would begin in 10 minutes and to walk around and just check out the farm in the mean time. After walking around for a bit we noticed a large group gathered around him so we went over to hear what we thought would be a tour. Instead, he told the group that the tour would begin in another 20 minutes. At this point both my husband and I were extraordinarily frustrated but the farm was harvesting cranberries in the bog so decided to just take some photos and try to enjoy our time there. Our tour finally started over 30 minutes late. We were told to split into two groups, one group was to head back to the first farm and come back to the second farm. We decided to stay at the second farm. The tour itself was mediocre. He explained some facts about cranberries and how the harvesting process works. The group was so large that you pretty much had to fight to get a space close enough to hear what he was saying. When the tour ended we headed back to the first farm.
At the first farm, the tour was pretty much non-existent. A woman who worked at the farm showed us how an old cranberry sorting machine worked and a tour guide told us about how cranberry juice made her more "regular," I am not joking. We then got to walk around unguided and just stare at a field of cranberries. Utterly fascinating. We knew there was supposed to be a picking part of the tour so we tried to find a guide to tell us where to go to go picking. The first guide we found had no idea where we should go or if there was any cranberry picking. She told us to ask another guide. We weren't able to find another one for a little while but were able to stop one as she came out of the bathroom. She reluctantly gave us directions to the third farm and said we could go if we "really wanted to."
When we arrived at the third farm we were shocked to find that the tour group was already about half a mile ahead of us. We got out of our car and hustled to catch up with the group. By the time we caught up, any explanation of the site was done and people were already picking cranberries. We got to pick cranberries which was okay I guess, but it was really unacceptable that we had to struggle to find information about how to get to that part of the tour. I would say when we started the tour there were over 100 people, there were maybe 30 people at the cranberry picking, several of whom commented on how hard it was to find out how to get there. It was absolutely astonishing how poorly the whole thing was run.
We did get our free fresh and dried cranberries which is better than a lot of people, I know they ran out shortly after we got ours. They never collected our Groupon so we really could have had the whole horrible experience for free. Under no circumstances would I recommend this tour.

3 Thank Steph H