“The history teacher says...”
Review of Plymouth Rock

and up
Private Day Trip From Boston to Plimoth Plantation
Ranked #8 of 70 things to do in Plymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Now surrounded by protective pillars, this unimposing rock was allegedly the first piece of land touched by the Pilgrims in the New World.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I teach U.S. history so felt compelled to visit Plymouth Rock while in Plymouth, even though it plays an over-inflated role in history. So, I dragged the kids and we went. It is a very impressive looking shelter housing a small chunk of rock. Knowing the pilgrims actually first landed on the Cape, it is even less impressive. But, I checked it off the history teacher bucket list, all the while explaining to my four year old that it was a very important rock. He was less than impressed. Frankly, so was I.

1  Thank sbc98grad
There are newer reviews for Plymouth Rock

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The most interesting thing about Plymouth Rock is that this particular piece of stone was not designated Plymouth Rock until 120 years after the Pilgrims landed (presumably none of those present in 1620 were still around in 1740 to say whether or not this was the correct rock.) Anyway, take a picture and enjoy the other really great things to see in Plymouth, like Plimouth Plantation, Mayflower II and the Grist Mill.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Nice rock. But that is all it is - a rock. My question is that since we know there was a sandy beach there in 1621, then why would someone purposely tie the only skiff-boat you have - in turbulent seas to a rock?
I wouldn't. I'd leave a person behind to see to the valuable boat and send out an exploration party!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Having been to other museums/houses where we touched 2 smaller pieces of the rock in Plymouth it seems that this is not the whole rock nor definitely the rock stepped on by the Pilgrims as it was named this a hundred years or so after the landing. Its in a very impressive (OTT) structure with a guide standing to the side telling you about it. At least you don't have to pay to see it!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

So, to start off with, while I was in the service one of the guys on our ship had been stationed on the east coast and took his family on a road trip with one of the planned stops being Plymouth Rock (he was showing his kids the whole American history thing). He was, shall we say "extremely disappointed" in the rock (mind you this is over 20 years ago).

So now we fast forward to July 2013. We were on a trip to Boston and doing the American history thing for our daughter (who wasn't really into the whole "experience"). So, while on a road trip between the Boston area and Cape Cod we decided that this was a "must see".

When we located the monument that had been built to contain the rock (which means that it has been "relocated", and more than once) we bellied up to the railing, looked down, and my daughter asked "is that it?"

There, below us and approximately 10 feet away sat a rock the size of small block Chevy on the sand (the sand was meticulously raked and clean). There is a barred opening to the ocean so that the tide can flow in and around the rock.

I really like the fact that they managed to get the 2 halves of the rock glued back together and in the same place, but other than that I really don't see the point. Many report claim that what is left is 1/3 to 1/2 of it's original size. There is some debate as to if this really is the the rock from the first landing place of the Pilgrims (there is no real proof either way).

If you are extremely patriotic and in to the history of this stone, this is probably a must see. If not it is a big disappointment (but the monument is quite nice, even in the rain).

1  Thank gwlowe