Blue - Inn on the Beach
$85
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspicnic basketbreakfast basketocean fronthot tublounge chairsbreakfast deliveredgas fireplaceapple tvlobster trapprivate patioyogurtcoat of paintdrive into towncasual elegancesquare footbeach towelsevery morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

we were there out of season, in a ocean suite room and it was peacefull with a beautiful view. I suggest on the second floor since it is more private, the spa is on the first flor... The beach is very big... Newburyport nearby, is a nice city with good food.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have mixed feelings for Blue. The location can't be beat, provided that the beach is your thing, and some real thought and appreciation for detail went in to the creation of the Inn. We stayed in one of the oceanfront suites and were duly impressed at the upscale romantic beach cottage decor, a vision in white, which included some very nice architectural touches and top-notch amenities, such as a marble-tiled bathroom with an array of Grohe fixtures, a small fridge filled with (complementary) bottled water, soda, wine (and - bless their hearts - real creamers), bar sink and Keurig coffee maker with plenty of assorted coffees and teas. There were overstuffed couches and loveseats with extra blankets and throws. The views from the room of the beach and water were breathtaking and the sound of the waves at night lulled us to sleep. The concept of breakfast delivered to your door in a basket at a pre-appointed hour is just terrific (and yes, it's not from a gourmet bakery, but it's fresh and perfectly fine - we enjoyed our bagels, croissants and greek yoghurt).

But then little problematic details started to intrude into our paradise. The overhead recessed lights in the ceiling, thoughtfully installed with a dimmer switch for romantic effect, flickered like candles due to defective wiring. In the chill of early morning before the front office opened, we couldn't figure out how to turn the fireplace on and apparently the instructions were omitted from our 'welcome packet' (note: the wall thermostat controls it - the heat and fan must be "on" and you must set the temperature for at least 10 degrees above the registered room temp - and still we found the operation unpredictable). It took some time to figure out how the jacuzzi bath tub operated (no instructions provided but for your reference, see the discreet oval panel on the front of the vanity, which you'll have to get out of the tub to access). The night we arrived, we found empty juice bottles on the chairs on our deck which the cleaning crew had failed to remove.

The ocean front suites are back-to-back like motel rooms and noise travels - from the side and from upstairs and we had some very noisy neighbors. The hot tub, situated just off the oceanfront suites and right off the hotel beach access path, is in a very public place (which is somewhat off-putting), and noise from those using it travels easily to the rooms. Nonetheless, we were looking forward to using the hot tub until we removed the cover and found the water to be very cloudy and foul smelling. I'm not fussy, but it was plain disgusting.

The staff is very young - seemingly not a day over 21 - and it was a little disconcerting that there were no adults on the premises. But, in their defense, everyone was pleasant and helpful enough.

Yes, the place looks somewhat beat-up from the outside because that's what happens to wooden structures subjected to salt spray and sand. That didn't both us. And, yes, the inn is expensive but there is real value provided in the location, the room appointments and the service. What is puzzling is that the same level of attention to detail that went into the concept and design isn't being carried through to the day to day maintenance and running of the Inn. Everything should be in good working order and easy to use. Of course things malfunction from time to time, but the sum of small disfunctions during our brief stay here gave off a whiff of neglect. Blue sets the bar high...but then doesn't quite follow through. Not sure if we'll return. We really like the area, so we'll likely check out other lodging.

Room Tip: Stay away from Oceanfront Suite No. 2 - it is off of the hot tub and the passage to the beach from the inn and there is no privacy screen provided for the deck in front. Best to grab a second story Oceanfront Suite, if you can, to avoid the noise from upstairs neighbors that plagues the first floor suites.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2Entre-nous
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Blue Inn is simply amazing! I recently stayed in Cottage 16 for two nights, followed by Oceanfront Suite 6 for an additional 2 nights. We were staying for a family wedding and most of the guests were included in the wedding.

The oceanfront cottage was more than large enough for my husband, myself, and my parents. Very clean and well maintained. The oceanfront suite was perfect for two and the view of the beach in the morning is stunning.

Family members had the Grand Salon and Penthouse so we got the tour. Amazing!

Every night you write down your breakfast choices and time of delivery. In the morning you awake to an adorable basket outside your door with your food and drinks!

Loved the town, the beach, and the people. Of course, we were here in the off season, so it was very quite. The staff were very attenetive and pleasant. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cclynn427
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Blue Inn was wonderful. This is the first hotel I've stayed at and actually attempted to reserve same room for the following year. Unfortunately the hotel has pushed "high season" out to October, more than triple what I paid this year.
So for all who want to read detailed review, I'll start with what I LOVED! 1- Private Cottage, 2- Perfect private beach, 3-Breakfast delivered to door every morning (complimentary water, soda, coffee and wine in fridge when we arrived). 4- Clean pure white quality towels and robes for bath, beach towels too. 5- Blue glass stone walkways. 6- Smiling nice young ladies at front desk.
Things that I noticed could be improved 1- Planters all contained dead flowers. Palms all seemed okay. 2- Didn't seem to be enough bikes for everyone that may have liked to use them. 3- Noticed some dirty towels and wine glasses by hot tub laid there for days.
Overall, this place is simply to die for. Just wish they hadn't changed low season rates. I rated value as excellent for OFF-SEASON rate I paid.

Room Tip: Cottages if privacy is valued over Ocean view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank carynr2
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Let me begin by saying that this review is going to be long because I don't want to forget anything!

I booked Blue as a surprise for my husband to celebrate our anniversary last week. I had read all the trip advisor reviews, so I was aware of what others mentioned as the downfalls so I really wanted to see if they were just being knitpicky or accurate.

Upon arrival, I did notice that the white paint had worn off the stairs in the high traffic spots. Considering that this is the only way to get to ones room, it is to be expected at the end of a busy season, I guess. We were warmly greeted by a girl who somehow knew who we were even before I told her. We were given a paper to make our choices for breakfast the next morning. She also told us that in order to have breakfast waiting for us the following morning, we needed to turn in our choices by 7pm the night before. She also told us that the front desk closes at 9pm and reopens at 8am. Another girl told us she would take us to our room while a young man asked us if we needed help with our bags. We walked up to our room, and soft music was playing on the 55" flat screen TV! What a fabulous first impression!!! She showed us how to use the remotes, gave us a quick tour of the room, and left us to stare at the incredible view of the beach and ocean that was a stone's throw from our deck. Wow!!! My husband and I quickly grabbed a drink and went straight to the deck to enjoy the view. (And I almost forgot to mention the note on the coffee table welcoming us by name.....)

Now, for the room. We booked the penthouse suite (a HUGE splurge for me), and it was beautiful! Every piece of furniture and every decoration is from Pottery Barn. The plates, glasses, and silverware from our kitchenette were from Crate and Barrel. Our mini fridge was stocked with Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, creamers and a bottle of "Blue" wine. A Keurig sat on the granite counter and an overflowing basket of k-cups was next to it. They didn't forget anything, from the dishtowels to the paper towels, to a sponge, and a toaster! Perfect!

The bathroom was large, had two sinks, a huge steam shower, and I thought it was really a nice touch that they stocked a small tube of toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, and disposable razors in addition to the standard things. There were plenty of towels too...I counted five giant bath towels and fifteen hand towels in the bathroom, so there was definitely no shortage of towels here!!! The room also had a safe, an iron and ironing board, and two comfy robes.

One day we wanted to sit at the beach and they were only too happy to carry out two sand chairs and pitch an umbrella for us. We even had a cold bottle of water in the cup rest of our chairs! And before I forget, there are also two hot tubs for the guests use.

The breakfast basket arrived every morning outside our door at the time we requested. It contained china, and a linen napkin in what I guessed was a Pottery Barn napkin ring. Breakfast choices included fresh cut up fruit, yogurt, danish, bagels, and croissants. One note though, other reviews have said that they thought that the breakfast was store bought. I can assure you it was not, because my husband and I actually saw the food service truck making a delivery at the hotel.

The only negative, though, and its probably petty, but our room had lovely white airy pinch pleat curtains that were missing hooks in spots, so in some places the curtains were just hanging and not attached to the curtain rod. I found several of the hooks on the floor and one in the bureau, and actually tried to fix the curtains myself! In my opinion, it took away from the perfection of the room. We also noticed that there was a REALLY large bird dropping on the glass wall of our balcony, which was there from the time we checked in until the time we left. Perhaps the staff just needs a keen eye for making sure things like this don't get overlooked.

Overall, this is a fabulous boutique hotel to chill, relax, and leave your worries behind. Everything here is casual elegance. The staff is super friendly and very helpful. If you enjoy the small, upscale hotel experience, then this is the place for you. I'm looking forward to my next trip back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple