“Easy Bicycling with Ocean Breeze!”
Review of Newbury Beach

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Plum island National Wildlife Refuge is near the town of Newburyport, and easy enough to find, the parking lot very convenient, and we begun our bike ride from the gate. The road is safe enough for this, there are numerous designated stop/spots with nice views of the marsh, wildlife
such as birds, etc. There is a slight incline towards the island refuge, but easy! We do have to share the road/trail, with cars. There is a longer trail, unpaved, we only used the paved part for the most part, we tried some of the unpaved-gravel trail, it is rough but dusty!
We used the excellent picknic/observation areas for lunch and water breaks, a real treat!
There are many beaches to walk and see the ocean! We sure would like to be back to this island refuge, in the near future!

3  Thank Felixberto E

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm not a summer sweltering beach person. I love the cooler weather, and breeze. This beach was fabulous for excercise and taking a dog or two for a walk. Beware , there are folks that let their dogs off leash , all were friendly though. The sand is sloped and soft in some areas to work those leg muscles. It is a small hike from the parking lot, but partially covered with decking so it's not bad. Beauty as far as the eye can see. Can't advise on swimming, but it looks trecherous. We did not have to pay an enterance or parking fee, so perhaps after September 15th when dogs are allowed there is no charge.

1  Thank mycornerisne
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hi currently on holiday in boston and its off peak season(sept) but still very warm and been told by the locals best time of year to come as the foliage is just starting to turn autumnal but still very warm and no crowds. The beach was beautiful and clean .The water a little on the cold side for me but if your a surfer great waves.As the season is coming to an end it felt very relaxed and didnt feel pushed along by the crowds.We even wore our shorts!!!A real great little beach and well worth going to.

Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

I took my kids here on my last visit to the area and was pleasantly surprised. I usually dread going to the beach because of the crowds and this was not at all a problem with this beach. Although there were a lot of people (hot day, mid August) the beach was so large no one was on top of anyone else. If you aren't a sun worshipper, you could walk for an hour and never reach the end of the beach. The water did seem a bit more fierce than other beaches so I definitely watched my kids even more closely. The 5 dollars that you pay to get in the reserve is nothing and you can take a break and go farther in the reserve and walk the boardwalk. Or drive into Newburyport and have dinner or ice cream and shop away! Definitely a winner location that I wish I didn't live 7 hours from!!!

4  Thank SSA40
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This beach and area are very clean and more family oriented. The beach is a sharper slope than some other nearby beaches, so watch the little ones going in. The undertow at shore from breaking waves could be a danger to the real little ones who can't swim. I remember being terrified when my parents would bring us here when I was a kid. For adults it's fine. Most people hang out in the water beyond the wave breaks, which is only a few feet in. The waves seem to roll in the same spot. Lot of boats offshore to see riding by. The sand is very soft and free of rocks, broken shells, seaweed. Parking in the lots run $10-$20 for the day, depending on when you get there. Most free parking are for the residents. There are port-a-poties. If you want a real bathroom, stop at the visitor's center before you go over the bridge on the way in. The surrounding neighborhood is nice and safe for all. Plenty of walking distance little restaurants.

4  Thank D2andM