“Room was smelly”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Pittsfield
shrewsbury, ma
“Room was smelly”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here one night this past weekend for business. At first glance the hotel seemed nice. The common areas and the pool were okay. When we got to the room it looked about average but the air in the room smelled a bit stale. I thought perhaps it was unused for a while and once the A/C was turned on it would clear. I checked the bed and found the sheet was stained and torn and had to have housekeeping come and change the bed. They were very quick and accommodating with that. We left for our event and when we got back to the room it was late and we were very tired. By this point the air had changed from stale to skunky. I was too tired to bother trying to change rooms so I spritzed some perfume and tried to sleep. The breakfast buffet was nothing great. The scrambled eggs were rubbery. I do not think it was worth the $12 they charge you for it. No bacon, pancakes, or French toast. At least not that day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Pittsfield, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear gretaloo,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the condition of your room. I appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Montreal
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We put 3 couples up here for a family reunion.prices ok for area, rooms pleasant and clean. kids loved the great indoor pool, worth the price for this alone. nice bar.they made free eatrly am coffee for our hungover kids.

Manassas, VA
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed 1 night at this hotel for a business trip. My company paid for this trip.

Location

It is relatively easy to get to/from the hotel, there is a traffic circle that you have to navigate around to get to the entrance and then make a left-hand turn into the entrance and an immediate right into the garage.

Room

I had room 106 with a Queen bed. This is a pool side room, with the pool directly outside the door. There was no one using the pool on Wednesday night when I was there, but I imagine it gets loud out there on weekends and early mornings if there are a lot of kids in the hotel.

The room was a nice size and very clean, housekeeping did a great job. It looks newly renovated/decorated. Very up to date.

The bed and linens were extremely soft and comfortable. I had requested extra pillow, feather preferably, and they were in the room when I arrived.

The sink area was adequate with a fair amount of room around the sink area for makeup bags, etc. There is a sink inside the room with the shower/commode and another sink outside that room. However, the second sink has no electrical outlets. The lighting is good for putting on makeup. Plenty of towels were available in all sizes and a lighted makeup mirror was available.

There is a large tv with the basic channels.

The hvac was very quiet.

Check In

There were two people at the front desks. Check-in and check-out were easy, no lines.

Hotel Staff

The hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful.

Parking

There is ample parking in the lot, about 5 levels of parking, a lot of it is covered.

Lobby/Restaurants/Bar/Room Service

The lobby is large and up to date.

The restaurant/bar has an excellent breakfast buffet and a man making made-to-order omelettes. I didn't have time to enjoy breakfast, I just grabbed some pre-made eggs and ate but the food spread looked very good, with something for everyone. They had yogurt, an assortment of breads and a toaster and then eggs, pancakes, and a variety of bacon and sausage.

GPS/Cell Phone/Internet

My gps worked fine getting around the entire area. Cell phone service was perfect everywhere in the hotel. I did not use the hotel internet.

Pool

I didn't use the pool, but it was quite large and looked nice and clean with a separate hot tub.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again if in the area.

1 Thank VaBelle35
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Pros: Room was clean.

Con:We were given a room on the 12th floor. The floor above, it turned out, is used for events. We were there on a Saturday night, returning from a local visit at about 11 PM. As we were getting into bed, there was such noise and intensive pounding from above that sleep was impossible. The front desk said they would send someone up. The racket stopped for about 5 minutes, then started up again full blast. We called again. They offered to move us to a lower floor, but we were already unpacked and in PJs. Finally, one of us, in bathrobe, went up to personally appeal for quiet.

It ought to be a rule of good hotel management to put the guests of an affair on the floor nearest the event, and to put unsuspecting guests further down.

Room Tip: See above.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Pittsfield, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Nernst,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our deepest apology for the experience you had with the noise which affected your stay negatively and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Pittsfield hotels

Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night, as we were in town for a meeting. We had a room on the 7th floor, with a very comfortable king size bed. This is an older hotel, but the room was nicely updated, and everything was very clean. The hotel was busy with a wedding and several smaller parties due to graduation, but our room was quiet. The pool area was too hot and humid--but this was after several days of out-of-season hot weather, so not unexpected. We enjoyed our stay, and were happy to see that Pittsfield seems to be on the upswing.

Room Tip: Being on a higher floor gave us great views of the mountains and town.
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for my 12 year old son's Memorial Day "Dan Douqette" baseball tournament. Unfortunately it rained the whole weekend and several games were postponed. Many of the kids staying at the baseball camp property down the road wanted to come back to the hotel to use the indoor pool. The hotel was packed with baseball players making the pool & jacuzzi very crowded. I didn't mind since my kids are baseball players, but I think people who don't know about the tournaments were a bit taken aback from all the kids. Lots of kids running around the whole hotel but I must say, I enjoyed the hotel. My 8 year old son stayed in the hotel room with me while my 12 year old was at the baseball camp. The rooms were nice, nothing too fancy. They were clean.The beds were very comfy. The flat screen tv was very enjoyable. No fans in the bathroom so the mirrors steamed up for a while after showers. I requested a fridge & microwave for a fee.The hallways can be a bit noisy. We heard doors open & close loudly from the rooms nearby during the night. Could do a bit better with soundproofing. The on site restaurant was awesome! Food was great!! A bit pricey though. If you're ordering room service, forget it. They never answered! Lots of places to eat within walking distance. Front desk was very helpful with directions to many places. Grocery store right around the corner was convenient. Parking garage was fine, not sure why people said it was "scary". Really? Come on now, it's a regular parking garage! There was a wedding there on Friday night and a prom Sunday night. The function rooms are very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room ending with "05". We had room 505 on the 5th floor and our friend ha...
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Being a Pittsfield native son I had fond memories of the then Berkshire Hilton, now Crowne Plaza in Pittsfield. We made plans by booking directly with the Hotel staff, and were very clear on our requests. The reservation staff was friendly and accomodating. We wanted a pool side room so our twins could swim as we were in town for a family event the next day. All seemed great during booking. But that soon came apart as we arrived. Although we requested early check-in, and we know it's not guaranteed, we arrived 30 mins early - not 2 hours - only to be told our room wasn't ready. C'mon really not ready at 2:30 for a 3PM checkin!

Then we asked our kids could swim while we waited....Hummm they had to check with the manager - really? When I asked if I could use the luggage cart sitting there to bring our bags in, they said someone was reserving it - another really? I just wanted to stage my luggage in the lobby so I could park in the garage, while the family waited for our "early check-in". Finally they tell us the kids can swim. Now it's 3PM and I check in. I get to the room, and it's the room I reserved or asked for - now I'm getting really frustrated. Checking the room it's not really cleaned or outfitted with the linens for the pull-out couch/bed. No pillows for the kids. There's stale cookie or craker crumbs in the pull-out.

And the air-conditioner sounds like a small jet plane from the regional airport on the south side of town. If you turn it off, the heat from the pool area makes the room a soggy mess - like living in the Georgia swamps in July.

Now get this - we're told that the pool closes @ 3:30 for a private party. THEY DIDN'T tell us this when we booked the room! That's why we stayed there! To have the kids swim for the afternoon then go meet the family for dinner. So the main reason we stayed there for 160.00 a nite was to let the kids swim and hang out at the pool. So they were able to swim for all of 40 minutes and told to clear out because a wedding reception pre-party had the pool and bar area until early evening.

We asked why they didn't tell us the pool was not available for most of the day when we booked, and they said "We dunno know". Unbelievable attitude and not sense of customer satisfaction. I've stayed at Crowne Plaza's all over the country and Europe and have never seen such disregard from Staff for a guest.

Take-aways:

1. Get all the event information for the hotel up front - if there's an event your stay accomodations will be limited at best
2. Avoid the bar, you can buy a nice dinner and drinks for a family of 4 for the price of 2 beers, 2 juices and a snack at the Pool Lounge
3. Stay in Williamstown or South County and get your monies worth.
4. The Sunday brunch is also notedly not noteworthy - bland and stale. You'd be better off going to a local breakfast joint. Too bad The Dakota closed down - that was a real value and very well done. They took pride in their fare and service.

Although my niece has blocked rooms for her Fall wedding there, I'll be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Air conditioners very loud - if you have trouble sleeping this will be a reall challenge.
1 Thank Craig C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Pittsfield, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Craig C,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsfield
BEST WESTERN PLUS Berkshire Hills Inn & Suites
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#5 of 14 in Lenox
Vacation Village in the Berkshires

Been to Crowne Plaza Pittsfield? Share your experiences!