“Good tasty Indian food for the price”
Review of House of India

House of India
Ranked #72 of 175 Restaurants in Pittsfield
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Food was good, excellent selection of dishes. Most of the group went "family-style". Two of us opted for a la carte. I chose the chicken tikka kabab, but there was a misunderstanding and I got instead chicken tikka in sauce. BUT it was very tasty. Lots of chicken, more than I could eat, which is unusual. Some mixup in the orders of naan, as my order was given to the group. We actually had to go ask to have our bills after waiting for quite awhile. But even so, I would go back.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

We went for the buffet and it was after 1:00. There was not one thing that looked fresh or appealing. We should have just left but didn't. Nothing was replenished and it looked awful. Even the bread was bad. Neither my mother or I will ever step foot in there again.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I have eaten Indian food for over 30 years, and from a number regions and traditions. This food was like eating dirt. Flavor was minimal, there was no spiciness at all. Also, when they say "with vegetables" (like the lamb samosas) they mean just a pinch of some sort of under-cooked vegetable. The lamp samosas looked beautiful on the outside, but inside was overcooked lamp and a couple of peas. The lamb buriyani (which was supposed to have vegetables too) only had some very large pieces of under-cook ginger and onions, the green peppers weren't cooked at all (though warm), and no other vegetables at all. Really and truly this is the most dreadful Indian food I have ever had in my life. Food was also very skimpy for usual Indian Restaurant standards. A small soup bown size portion was $12!!!!!!!!!

The waitress was very unpersonable. I asked for my buryani without raisins and she just kept writing. I had to say "Hello?....did you hear me?" to get her to respond at all.

Finally, the place is actually kind of seedy and there were 2 TVs (one with very bad screen quality) showing a Bollywood movie....without subtitles. Very cheesy and low class.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

If you're afraid of Indian food and want to try this, I suppose it would be ok. People are nice, but the food is very dull. We eat a lot of good Indian in NY City, and this is nothing like what we're used to. Better off elsewhere in Pittsfield.

Reviewed February 13, 2009

I've only gone to House of India for the lunch buffet, and just love it. There are so many options to choose from and everything is delicious. The nice thing about a buffet is that nothing is too spicy, which is great, since I'm not wild about hot and spicy. Even the dessert (Indian rice pudding, with rose water and almonds) is great. And, the wall hangings give the feel of a different culture. I've thoroughly enjoyed my several experiences here.