“Overpriced ”

District Kitchen & Bar
Ranked #1 of 180 Restaurants in Pittsfield
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: District Kitchen & Bar, nestled amidst the bucolic Berkshire HIlls, serves contemporary American cuisine with gastropub influences. The surrounding region boasts a rich food and agricultural culture of which the restaurant takes full advantage by offering an ever-changing seasonal menu showcasing locally sourced ingredients. District takes food seriously, preparing all food in-house and to-order according to the culinary whims of executive chef Taylor Hitchcock and his talented support staff. Sister restaurant to PUBLIC eat+drink located 20 miles north in North Adams, District prides itself on not only serving great food but also offering excellent, warm service and a top-notch beer, wine, and cocktail program. The restaurant features a rotating selection of craft beer, a carefully curated wine list, and an inventive, seasonal cocktail list prepared with care and consideration of classical mixology techniques. Join us for a great meal and a well-mixed drink.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant was across the street from my hotel so I thought I’d try it. Big mistake! The pad Thai was extremely spicy, almost unpalatable. The Malbec I ordered was awful.... and the total bill was almost $38! $11 for a glass of crappy wine and pad Thai with shrimp for $27! Will not be back.

2  Thank Llamafocs

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Awesome all around! Great selection, nice atmosphere, friendly waitstaff, and delicious desserts as well.

1  Thank Sue D
Reviewed May 7, 2018

We heard there was a new chef in the kitchen that is wowing diners so we arrived early enough to get a seat before crowds came in. The place was quiet and relaxed with music playing. As other diners have described, the place is dimly lit but not dark and indeed, interesting art adorns the deep gray walls. Shiny copper piping added warmth to the industrial design. It's a lovely small intimate dining room.
There's an extensive, interesting beer list which our server said changes often.I saw that was the case after having checked the menu online last week. One thing I appreciated was the offering of a glass with the bottle of beer. Many places you have to ask.
But on to the food!!! We had some Shishito peppers that were perfectly cooked, seasoned and sauced with an tangy glaze that was very slightly spicy and out of this world! The whole bowl was gobbled down. I did not want to stop eating them! The grilled calamari with romesco!!!! Can't even tell you how that plate was such a perfect combo of smoky, spicy, herbaceous, delicious. Our server said the staff all loves them and are obsessed. I can see why. They served us thinly sliced baguette that were heated to crispy on the outside and moist and chewy inside with some nice spreadable butter.
Our entrees came piping hot. I had the risotto with English peas, asparagus, lemon and opted for the addition of salmon. This was one of the best dishes I've had anywhere. Masterfully cooked just right! Partner had the Pad Thai with shrimp addition. The taste I had was light with a beautiful freshness that was also masterfully prepared. The skill of the chef and sous chef is undeniable, what a great team! Each dish served was so well executed that you didn't want to stop eating and was accompanied by "mmmm! This is SO good." Even though we were stuffed, dessert of blueberry shortcake called. I loved the biscuit, but found the blueberry sauce a bit too sweet. I'd add some fresh lemon zest and a dash of cinnamon to bring up the flavor a bit. That being said, it was all eaten. We left satisfied, full but without that overburdened sensation that often accompanies eating everything in sight.
Highly recommend a visit to probably the best food in the Berkshires.

1  Thank myskyt
Reviewed May 4, 2018 via mobile

Staying in Lenox for the night, on our way to Boston. District was up the road about 10 minutes. Caitlyn was our wait person, very nice and helpful. We had Mussels, salad with grilled salmon, grilled cheese and French fries. All was excellent. You must try the blueberry, rhubarb dessert, it was soooo good.
Nice atmosphere, fun art on the walls.

1  Thank Susan515796
Reviewed April 30, 2018 via mobile

The only ding is it gets loud on Fridays and Saturdays and you may wait. The restaurant is small but charming.

Service excellent. We have had Katlyn a few times. No rush and great timing/ flow of courses.

We were there with another couple introducing them to the restaurant. They have sophisticated pallets from international travel. Every dish from appetizers to desserts were discussed and deconstructed for their brilliant twist.

Every visit we start with the PEI mussels. Perfect to share and filled with a broth contain kayle and sausage. Last night we also ordered a mushroom soup which had three different kinds of mushrooms. It did not look like any mushroom soups we have ever had, and the taste was terrific. Its complex blend of ingredients was greeted with a look and utterings of wonder as to how wonderful the dish was.

For main courses, I had the brie burger with a slaw substitute for a slight upcharge since I was avoiding fries and the bread. I also chose a side of the homemade bread and butter pickles. It was the best burger meal I have ever had.

As for the other dinners they included a salmon with a side that my wife fell in love with. They tend not to cook the salmon too much so as for it better prepared if that is the way you prefer it.

Our guests enjoyed a risotto with shrimp that had truffle oil. Their other dish was the stuffed peppers appetizer. These guests primary residence has been NYC for many years. They are familiar with the best restaurants the city has to offer. They were dumbfounded that where they have owned a second home, they didn't know that the District existed.

Well, dessert was not missed and we ordered the daily changing flavored creme Brule. In addition the rhubarb, cream and shortbread was ordered. It was all delicious with subtle flavor accents like lemon flavor in the cream.

Everything, including some wacky IPA took a position as a winning item you are lucky to have in one meal anywhere else. I warn you, do not expect to replicate what I have written about because they switch most of it constantly with more greatness.

If you decide to go, say hi to Kaitlyn from Derrick and get ready for a meal to remember. Oh, did I mention that their prices are very reasonable and they have a community table in the front.

1  Thank Derrick H