“Go for Mom's Spring Rolls”
Review of Spice Dragon - CLOSED

Spice Dragon
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Lovely sunny day for a drive to lunch and there were a handful of places that sounded interesting in Pittsfield. Driving into the city we decided to pass the first place on my list because it appeared to have only reopened within the last month, there were no customer's cars in the parking lot in spite of the lit "open" sign, of the three reviews I'd read one hadn't eaten there yet, the second was written, I believe, by the owner's brother and didn't offer any descriptive information, and the third described a need to work out some "just opened" issues.

So on to Spice Dragon (btw, brother of the one we passed up?). The restaurant is very attractive inside, expansive and with some nice woodwork. We were promptly greeted and seated by the hostess. Having just driven through significant road repaving on our way there, we decided to forego alcoholic beverages knowing we'd be returning by the same route. Our order for 2 hot teas ($5.50) consisted of a very large pot of hot water and a ramekin filled with a large variety of flavored tea bags. If we were to put the tea bags in the pot, then we both would have to agree on a single flavor and there would have to be at least two or three of that same flavor available for the tea to be strong enough. It so happens that we chose different flavors so we each put our teabag in the small teacups that were just large enough to hold a teabag.

The Vietnamese Spring Rolls ($8.95) can almost be a meal in itself. Two to an order, they are at least six inches long each, and served with some tasty Vietnamese slaw. These rolls are absolutely delicious and not at all greasy. The outer crispy wrapper is more crispy than what you get with Chinese eggrolls. The filling was not outstanding, but very good when dipped in the accompanying fish sauce.

My companion was smart enough to simply order a Spider Roll ($10.95) after such large spring rolls and said she enjoyed it, but it was very typical. I decided to try a Bento Box with Spicy Thai Pork Loin ($10.95). This was enough food for two people. I chose miso soup over egg-drop and found it more salty than expected. I didn't find the pork spicy at all for my taste. The bento box also included some salad, fruit, a small piece of California roll, a similar sized piece of another roll, and a single gyoza-like green dumpling.

Overall, the highlight is the traditional Vietnamese Spring Rolls. The Bento Box is a good value, but not flavorful enough to order again. If we return for more rolls, maybe we'll try some sushi along with them. The kitchen seemed a bit slow in sending out orders considering the number of tables that were occupied during a later lunch hour. Otherwise, service was good.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I ate at this restaurant on Memorial Day weekend with my boyfriend, brother and year-old niece. When we called to make reservations we said it would be for 3 adults and one baby. When we arrived we were seated right away.

This place was recommended by a friend who said "the Vietnamese spring rolls are addictive" so we ordered them and some drinks as soon as our server came over (in part because we were with a hungry baby). She brought one drink within a reasonable amount of time, took our meal order, and then disappeared for 45 minutes. This is no exaggeration. It was not just our server, almost none of the waitstaff came into the dining room during this period. When my niece started fussing because she was hungry we grabbed a different waitress to ask about our appetizer. Fifteen minutes after THAT an Asian man in jeans brought it out. We asked him what was going on in the kitchen and he said there was backup... unapologetically... and left. These spring rolls were NOT addictive - they were barely warm - likely left under a heat lamp for multiple minutes.

After another 40+ minutes without our entrees my brother went to complain to the manager - who had been visible during our entire time there, but made no attempt to seek us out and explain the delinquency (to our table, or any of the others that seemed to also have unhappy customers). When she came over I mentioned my concern that my niece needed food and she said "why didn't you tell me there was a baby here?!" (remember, it was in our reservation) She brought over sliced cucumbers for my niece which was nice - but too little, too late. We should not have had to seek her out.

When our meals finally arrived, they each looked and tasted like they had been left out for a long time prior to being delivered to our table. My brother sent back the Vietnamese Shrimp Salad he had ordered for his meal because the shrimp tasted spoiled. He ended up splitting my meal with me.

The service was atrocious and the food was mediocre. I would sooner eat at a McDonald's rather than go to Spice Dragon again.

6  Thank driby
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We had very good food here, but the incompetence of the staff was incredible. My wife actually thought we might be on candid camera! Same story as so many reviews here: we were surrounded by a swarm of clueless bussers but only saw our waitress twenty minutes after being seated, having asked for her three times! The table next to us was angrily asking where there food was when we were seated - that should have been a warning. Two other tables around us were also fed up with the service, and a third group actually got into a loud argument with the manager and hostess about how awful their experience was. Absolute nightmare atmosphere - but, as I said, the food was quite good. I hope the chef can get into a better situation. And I hope the manager can pull his head out and do something about the wait staff!

2  Thank Mr_Convoy
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We enjoyed the pan-Asian style food. Sushi, Vietnamese shrimp salad and chow fun. Spacious interior and friendly service.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Vietmanese-inspired food is deliciously and delicately spiced and the portions are generous. We always end up taking almost half home. I've enjoyed the calamari salad, as well as the calamari salt & pepper appetizer (although the latter was a bit too greasy for my taste). The spring rolls are huge and very tasty. The seafood clay pot is almost a soup with perfectly cooked and spiced delights from the sea. The crispy pad thai dish was both delicately light and filling. And the short wine list has excellent, reasonably priced alternatives. The service is friendly and helpful, the atmosphere is tablecloth upscale even though the prices are quite reasonable.