“Poor service, food was not warm, salads came after dinner”

Koto Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #22 of 170 Restaurants in Pittsfield
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Dalton, Massachusetts
“Poor service, food was not warm, salads came after dinner”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My first dinner there at the habachi tables llate summer was wonderful, great food and service with funny chefs at the table.
However, had a very different experience this past weekend. It was busy. They had lost our reservation for 4, the hostess was scattered due to the crowd, the waitress took a while to greet us and get our drink order, then forgot the salads. The meal came in and two of the four dishes were barely room temperature. The salads came after the meal, and only after we reminded the staff twice that the salads were missing. The waitress apologized for forgetting the salads but then chastased us for mentioning the food was cold to the manager who stopped by to ask how our meal was. Waitress told us she would be in trouble for the cold food.. vs apologizing for serving us cold food. uhm...
Food in general is tasty and served attractively. I would avoid weekends and make sure you get a resevation at the habachi table, not the regular tables/ menu.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank lilianamg

“Don't go on a Sat night!!!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Had reservations for 7:30 and wasn't seated until 8:55. They kept tell us 15 min more and making excuses. They overbooked and from what we have heard its a common occurrence especially on Sat nights. The food was typical of habacci style cooking with the same performances as we have seen in similar restaurants . Overall good food bad experience!!!!!!!

Pittsfield
“Birthday celebration”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Visited on a busy Saturday night at what has become Birthday Central based on the birthday show, which seemed to happen at about every table. Our group of 14 had a range of items from the menu and all were very pleased. I can see many more birthday celebrations.

• Visited December 2012
Dalton Ma
“Just disappointed.....”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We here in Pittsfield have been seeing the Koto experience' commercial on Albany TV stations for a while and it was with GREAT anticipation I visited for my first time Mid December 2012.

First before I go on, I ate in the garden area..not at the Hibachi tables...That section seemed to be very entertaining for those patrons.

I ordered from the menu.

Sushi, Sashimi, Beef chicken..all disappointing.

Everything deep fried in panko was just bland...really bland. The sushi and sashimi......gee could have been from Price Chopper. Not remarkable at all...the fried rice...bland. The chicken Teriyaki, ugh,I had a beef thing that was just 'ok' ....

Our waitperson didn't have a clue. Not a clue of the menu, nor a clue how to serve people, The decoration of the restaurant is better than the last restaurant that was here but was a GIANT disappointment from the pictures on the Koto Albany website.

If you live in Pittsfield I guess you have to give it a try. Any new eating spot is always welcomed as a new adventure.

Is it better than the Spice Dragon? Probably the same.

But, to me, doesn't hold a candle to the old Jae's Inn...

• Visited December 2012
Adams, Massachusetts
“Awesome Place!!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I used to drive to Albany, NY to enjoy Koto, but now we're very excited to have it in Pittsfield. We have enjoyed the Hibachi and their sushi. Both we love!!

• Visited November 2012