“Culture, History and fun”

Hancock Shaker Village
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Pittsfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Hancock Shaker Village is a living history museum whose mission is to bring the Shaker story to life and preserve it for future generations. Called the "City of Peace" by the Shakers who lived here for 179 years until 1960, this community was the third of 19 major Shaker Villages located in New York, New England, Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana. There are 18 original historic buildings on this site. The staff and volunteers are dedicated to making the Village a center for reflection on living the principled life. The values that the Shakers embraced -- equality, pacifism, community, sustainability, responsible land stewardship, innovation, simplicity and quality in work -- resonate with us today. In addition to viewing the architecture, we have so many things to see including the farm and gardens, the animals, costumed interpreters, demonstrations of handicrafts like weaving, spinning, and blacksmithing, hiking and walking trails, the Discovery Room where kids can do hands-on activities, photo and art exhibitions, a cafe and picnic area. We have modern amenities and the village is handicapped accessible.
Massachusetts
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Culture, History and fun”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

When you are traveling to the Berkshires, you must make a stop at Hancock Shaker Village a part of your trip. Check the weather and go on a nice day that isn't raining. You'll spend all day outside walking the fields of Shaker Village. There are special exhibits different times of the year, so check for these before you go. See the round barn, the animals, enjoy the room where the kids can try on Shaker costumes, and mild a pretend Shaker cow! Nice little restaurant/snack place too! or bring a picnic lunch and sit on the grass! Nice way to spend the day for sure.

Visited May 2012

Big Bear Lake, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Amazing history lesson!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The visit was pretty amazing. I couldn't believe all the items that were displayed, and how the buildings were maintained. I definitely recommend visiting the Hancock Shaker Village. You really need to give yourself at least half a day to really do the whole tour. You won't be disappointed. The gift shop was nice, too!

Visited June 2012
Haifa
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A fascinating afternoon”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We visited the Hancock Shaker Village one afternoon in the Fall, and could have spent much more time there. It was fascinating to learn about the Shakers, about whom we knew practically nothing before visiting the village. The costumed guides were knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to answer any questions they were asked. We heard very interesting explanations about the operation of the round barn, and about the style of living in the main dwelling, and would have stayed to learn more if we had had the time. We did manage to have a little impromptu Shaker dance lesson, which was great fun! Highly recommended if you are in the Berkshires.

Visited October 2012
Keansburg, New Jersey
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“excellent, enjoyable visit.”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I had visited here about 30 + years ago & had wanted to revisit ever since. It was interesting to me to compare what my memories where against what is presented today. i thoroughly enjoyed myself. I work in a museum setting so I appreciate the amount of time & effort that goes into making such a place culturally authentic, accurate & enjoyable & HSV does all 3 very well.

I look forward to a return visit..in a much shorter time period. I recall 30 years ago the village was very peaceful, and this time again, it brought a similar sense of peace to me.

Visited September 2012
stephentown
“tummy trouble”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We loved the village ,although admission price is a little pricey....not our first visit. The dressing on my sandwich was spoiled. The staff offered a different selection.so I had ice cream,yeah!

Visited October 2012
Hancock_Shaker, Manager at Hancock Shaker Village, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
We are very sorry to hear about your sandwich troubles. I'm glad that you received an acceptable substitution. We strive for high quality in every thing we do. The Savory Harvest Cafe offers excellent food with a wide selection of both hot and cold foods and delectable desserts. Their home made soups and made to order sandwiches are fresh and delicious. We apologize that you received a sandwich that did not meet our high quality standards. I hope that on your next visit to Hancock Shaker Village you will give the cafe another chance to provide you with some delicious and fresh selections.