“A very broad selection of small plate offerings.”

Mission Bar and Tapas
Ranked #9 of 170 Restaurants in Pittsfield
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Clifton Park, NY
“A very broad selection of small plate offerings.”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've never been to Spain so it is fair for me to say I don't know what a "real" Tapas bar should be like. I've been to one highly rated restaurant in NYC that is self-proclaimed to be a Tapas restaurant, and that may be my best reference point. Many places offer a Tapas menu that generally consists of "small plates" of more or less creative preparations that may or may not be Spanish dishes.

With that said, I'll say that I liked Mission Bar and Tapas and enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was a good funky. The lighting was dim but bright enough to see the remnants of an old storefront's tin ceiling. While fabric was hung by the front door to help protect from the cold drafts from outside, those drafts still worked their way half-way back through the restaurant to our table, especially when the poorly supervised child of a family seated by the door kept going in and out the door.

All the beers on tap were craft beers. We started with an Atwater Vanilla Java Porter ($6/16 oz.) and a Jack D'or Pretty Things Saison ($6/16 oz.). The porter was not overly sweet and the saison had a good amount of hops.

For appetizers we ordered the Bacon Wrapped, Blue Cheese Stuffed Dates ($8) and a Sweet Potato Tortilla Espanola with Sage Almond Butter ($5). There were six stuffed dates skewered on toothpicks and sprinkled with, according to the menu, ground almonds. But the nuts tasted more like walnuts. In any event, the bacon was fully cooked and the flavor of the blue cheese came through with the sweetness of the dates.

The Sweet Potato Tortilla was like a wedge of sweet potato pie. It was full of flavor and spices including a bit of ginger I believe. It also had a very nice crust.

We decided to share one of the three available Paellas for two. We chose the Valencia ($21) with chicken, chorizo, and shrimp, made with callasparra rice, vegetable broth, saffron, and peas. There was not much flavor from the saffron, but the overall flavor of the dish was quite enjoyable. The texture was not as soupy as we had expected, it was more of a stew consistency.

Service was friendly and efficient. The food was prepared and delivered more quickly than I had anticipated, but that was not an issue. We are likely to return to try a few other dishes on what appears to be a very interesting looking menu. And yes it is true that they DO NOT have a phone.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Roger K

Sterling, MA
“Always good and timely Tapas”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was my fourth trip there and I will go back when in the area. The food is always quick, hot and fresh. The pulled pork empanadas were excellent, I also had the steak taco special and those were great as well. They also had a band playing that made for a great casual atmosphere.

• Visited September 2012
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Nice atmosphere”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Very laid back with great entertainment...also like being able to eat and drink ouside when the weather's nice. Mission is a great place for young people to meet.

Ballston Spa, New York
“Tasty Tapas”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had another restaurant in mind, but it was closed between lunch and dinner (we were off schedule due to a late breakfast) so I pulled up my "Places" app and we opted to try some tapas here. It was a good choice.

Having been to other tapas restaurants both in the US and abroad (including Spain) I was a bit disappointed with the liimited selection of what I would call tapas. But we were delighted by our final choices. My sister ordered the winter salad and I had the gazpacho for starters and they were both winners. Then we went on the share three other dishes. The bruschetta were not at all what I expected. I just had to take a photo of them!

The waitress was very friendly and attentive even after quite a few more guests showed up.

• Visited August 2012
Naples, Florida, USA
“Tasty surprise”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Tried this restaurant on a Monday evening around 6:30. Excellent mussels with crunchy dipping bread, olives, good wine list. Live music and good service. Casual seating. No reservations so get there early. We'll be back.

• Visited May 2012