All reviews golf break main building pool and sauna lovely surroundings spa treatments sat nav leisure facilities lovely hotel large room fantastic stay buffet style executive room self service an overnight stay following morning excellent value for money stayed in the coach house
Selected filters
Reviewed October 28, 2016

I arrived with great expectations especially as I came up the long drive. The main house looks stunning at night and promised some much-needed comfort after a long drive from Scotland. I walked into reception to be greeted by a large fearsome-looking man who grunted something incomprehensible when I said I had a reservation. I had to ask him to repeat it three times before I eventually understood he was asking if it was my first visit. He told me I was in the Coach House "round the back" and I had to ask directions which again took several attempts before I understood what he was saying. I believe he may have been East European or Russian but surely the first customer point of contact should be capable of being understood. It's a walk along a worn path to the Coach House and I had to punch in a security code to get into the building. It was a little off-putting to see the tatty handmade notice on the door saying workboots weren't allowed inside. I found my room which was clean but basic with a rear view of the rubbish bins. I have stayed in hotels around the world but have NEVER been in one which didn't have even a tiny slab of soap or liquid handwash/shampoo in the bathroom. The towel - singular - was small and thin. In the restaurant back in the main house I ordered a very average burger and glass of wine but when I tried to pay (I didn't want to charge it to the room) I was told there would be a £2.50 charge for using a credit card. I had to return to my room (a 5 minute outside walk each way) to get my debit card. The one positive was the huge full English breakfast. This hotel promises so much and could be brilliant - but fails to deliver on a grand scale.

Room tip: Avoid the Coach House.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2016 via mobile

Firstly the good. Nice, clean hotel room with one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. Good Wifi signal that was consistent through-out the hotel and coach house where I stayed. Free use of the swimming pool and gym which were modern, clean and the gym staff were very friendly with good opening times. Breakfast was made to order and was your standard full English. Beer prices were about average and not overly expensive with bar staff and restaurant staff very chatty and friendly.
A few negative points. Cold water tap in room had low pressure and strangely the longer you ran it, the warmer it got (I made sure it was cold tap and not the hot one). Also shower was lovely but needed a curtain as water splashed all over the floor. Lastly the reception staff in morning may need a lesson in customer service. Completely ignored our group when we walked in and out and didn't respond when I said good morning. Not what I expect from any hotel!!
Overall though a lovely hotel and if back in business this way, will stay here again

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2016

If it wasn't for the fact that this hotel is the nearest to my family when I visit I would not stay there again. I was not pleased the last time we stayed when the bathroom had no shelves at all. If there are no shelves for your toiletries and make up bag the only place for them is on the floor or in the bath. They sat in the bath until I wanted to use the bath and then they had to go onto the floor. All this pales into insignificance though when the latest bathroom had no shower. Even if there is no room for a shower cubicle there should be a shower above the bath! I cannot describe my embarrassment and self-consciousness when having to go out with my family and friends on a Saturday evening with lank, untidy hair. I cannot believe that, in this day and age, a basic amenity such as a shower cannot be provided. This is not a cheap hotel. The price for a double room has increased by 14% since our last stay. Perhaps the extra income should be used on providing showers and a few shelves in the bathrooms to make guests' stays a little more comfortable and enjoyable. Another bugbear here is the chaos outside in busy periods. The road onto the property runs in a semi-circle and the hotel is midway. This road is single lane and there are blind bends. There are cars pulling in and pulling out of parking spaces, cars trying to squeeze through tiny gaps, cars flying round the blind bends as if they are the only ones there. Making this access road a 'one-way' would alleviate a lot of the problems of trying to avoid the oncoming cars and the people walking along the road.

Room tip: Avoid room 15 if you want a shower.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2016 via mobile

Owston Hall seems to get mixed reviews. I can see why but I wonder if it is more about expectations than reality. The reality is... it is a good little golf hotel.

It may need a little modernizing but we stayed in the main building and it was adequate. Dining room is nice. People really friendly. Golf course looked good as it can be viewed from there.

Food was not amazing but it doesn't purport to be Michelin star. The hotel has good facilities. A snooker room, pool with jacuzzi and steam room and a gym which we didn't use but looked good and the staff (who also man reception for the pool) really friendly and helpful.

It is s bit far from anywhere to visit but has good communication links to motorways in a few miles.

Overall, if you want a golf break then I would recommend it.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2016 via mobile

Overnight stay with dinner, with work colleagues. Check in was dominated by a huge group ahead of us, so decided to get a drink before check in. Half an hour later we were still waiting to check in.... Staff reasonably friendly, if not a bit slow.... Hotel itself has an identity crisis and needs some interior decoration advice! Dinner was actually very good, great menu and tasty food, breakfast was mediocre. My room in the coach house was dingy, very basic, too stuffy (no opening windows) and just a bit odd. Won't be going back in a hurry.

Date of stay: September 2016