“Great Hotel and Friendly Staff”

Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Peabody
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Hampton Inn from 9/15-9/17. The staff (especially Chris at the front desk) were all extremely friendly and helpful. When getting to our room, the air conditioning did not seem to work. We called the front desk and Chris himself came to help us out very quickly. We also requested some other things that we needed for the room and they were more then willing to accommodate us. The rooms were extremely clean and very comfortable. I would be confident in recommending this hotel to anyone wanted to go to the Salem area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from 9/7 - 9/9. We picked the hotel based on reviews and location as it has a wonderful proximity to both Salem and Gloucester. The staff was very friendly and they even let us stay and swim in the pool a bit late the first night which was appreciated after the drive. Upon getting into our first room, we turned on the air conditioner and it sounded like the fan blades were rubbing on something. We politely notified the front desk who immediately corrected it and changed the room for us.

We got into our new room and checked it over like we do every hotel we stay at. The room was neat and clean and the bathroom appeared to be newer. Our biggest disappointment was that the bed had no topper on it which is what most of the Hampton Inn's we have stayed at had. The bed otherwise was okay - a bit firm but nothing you would be uncomfortable in. The proximity to the highway is the biggest downfall of this hotel. The road noise was substantial while trying to sleep. We ended up downloading a white noise application for our phone to run in the background to help drown out the heavy road noise. This is why I rated the sleep quality as poor. The complimentary breakfast was nice and we were satisfied with what was provided.

The rate of the hotel was reasonable as well. I inquired with the gentleman at the front desk about extending our stay for Sunday night as well. He politely informed me that the hotel had a ton of rooms left but that he couldn't match the rate I had booked online due to it being through a third party. In my opinion, from a good business perspective, this should have been something he could have adjusted as it was only a $10.00 difference, the hotel was nowhere near capacity according to him - wouldn't they want this revenue to do the right thing for the customer versus losing the full reservation over $10.00? It ended up being irrelevant as we didn't stay, but the conversation stuck with me.

Overall, not a bad stay but I would look for something a bit more secluded or quiet if staying in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is in the back of the building - away from the highway to possibly help with roa...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is my second review...my prior one was back from May of 2012. I have had the opportunity to stay many times again at the Hampton Inn Boston - Peabody for work and personal visits...for weeks at a time. Each time I remember only one thing: the staff... the people that work here are what truly make this an excellent hotel. If it were not for the staff, I would not have made the decision to stay here time and time again...as there are many options in Boston and just outside the city. The staff here go above and beyond for guest satisfaction and service, and not just because I am a Hilton Diamond (Hilton's guest loyalty program highest tier) member either. I have witnessed other guests, not Diamond or Gold status, receive excellent service...

I see the reviews that complain about location, price, and reservation issues... but I have never experienced any of these problems. The location is minutes north of Boston on Route 1 (on the northbound side of Route 1)... There are several places to do "u-turns" on Route 1 and it can be confusing...but if you use some common sense it is actually not that difficult to get to the hotel. There are two spots to do u-turns within 100 yards in both directions of the hotel (north and south on route 1 respectively)... GPS units are helpful but have issues with this area of route 1... Case an point, I have two cars that both have GPS and both have issues getting to the hotel - 59 Newbury Street Peabody, MA 01960. One is a brand new car and the other is 5 years old and both are factory installed GPS units in Audi A8's (not cheap GPS equipment) and both have the same difficulty. Have the same issues with my iPhone GPS... so you just have to use common sense. It's not that difficult.

As for price? You get what you pay for. These are excellent and clean rooms. No charge for parking. The same room in downtown Boston would cost you twice as much, plus $35 for parking per night. This Hampton Inn has a good sized gym and a HUGE indoor pool. Unlikely to be found in Boston hotels of this size/style/type... Plus their BREAKFAST is huge and they offer more than most Hampton Inn's do. They also offer WARM COOKIES at check in most nights... it's like Doubletree but you can have more than one cookie.

As for reservations issues? Never had any myself... yes there are smoking rooms but just like any hotel, when you make a reservation you are typically never guaranteed anything but a room. If you book using a discount website like priceline and get the room for $40 a night, if you read the fine print, you're not guaranteed anything but a room... so it could be smoking or have two beds or just a king. Again, you get what you pay for so be careful how you book your reservation.

My last advice? Don't use a debit card at any hotel, car rental business, or anyplace that "authorizes" your card or puts funds on "hold"... Use your debit card if you don't care about having an extra $50/$100 held as a security-deposit or incidental-deposit on your card that will drop-off/be removed in 2-3 days (depending on your bank)... Use common sense. This goes for any hotel, not just here.

For being a few minutes north of Boston, this place is a great value. Rooms are less than downtown, with free parking ($35 in the city per night), a huge free breakfast, and a hotel shuttle that will take you around the area and get you to public transportation/commuter rail/subway to easily get in to Boston if you want to leave you car at the hotel for free.

Again, you get what you pay for and my advice of using common sense and patience can go a long way!

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the back of the hotel and not the main highway...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Chris B
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. Good thing is that it was clean.
Bad thing was that there was only one waffle maker the time we were there and the breakfast line for that was backed up.
My major complaint was that we were billed an additional"incidental fee"
as they called it. I noticed this on my credit card bill after we got home. We were never informed about it verbally or on the bill. The hotel told us to call our bank to remove it (which I knew we couldn't since we did't put it there in the first place). We were told that it would come off it 48 hours. 3 days later It came down to having a 4 way conference call trying to remove this. I think the hotel should make this VERY CLEAR to people who are staying there about this charge.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights- wished they didn't charge you more for non-prepaid reservations. I think that is a bit of a rip off. Wasn't sure about first night so I had to pay the higher price. Nice room, quiet, good bed. Average bath, good breakfast. Only one PC in lobby so had to wait to print out my boarding pass. Cookies at the desk! Didn't use the pool but it looked OK. Right next to Homewood Suites, a nicer place but more $$. This was fine for me. It's always hard to get to these motels because Rte 1 is a divided H'way- exited off 95 E and missed the motel because it came up so fast. Had to go N on 1 and turn around and backtrack. And I've been here before. No harm done but keep your eyes peeled.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the employees at the Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody at 59 Newbury Street - Route 1 North for such a pleasant stay from August 18-22, 2012. For 20 years we have been coming to Boston to visit my wife’s relatives and staying in their homes. This time because our family now has matured and we have teenagers instead of small children, we thought it best to stay in a nearby Hotel. So to summarize in brief:

Staff: A+, always helpful and a pleasant “Hello”

Rooms: A+, room smelled and looked clean, sheets felt clean, bathroom not large but spacious and clean (no mold or faulty fixtures) + free Wi Fi that actually works perfect

Facility: A+, clean and safe/secure. I needed to swipe my “room pass” to have access to the building after 11pm – EXCELLENT

Parking: A, illuminated well. The reason why I rate parking as an “A” instead of “A+” is because I don’t remember if I saw any external Security cameras especially in the rear of the build for guest returning late in the evening if they could not find parking in the front

Breakfast: A+, “Continental Breakfast” - no this was an amazing breakfast period. This was not your typical “run of the mill” Continental Breakfast. I choose this Hotel also because it was close to a “Wendy’s” where I could just walk over and get a Wendy’s breakfast – DO NOT need to. Eat at the hotel

We have now become future repeat guest for Hampton Inn when in Boston (I'm sorry we did not do this years ago)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MrPerrot
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Hotel staff was excellent!! Only problem is access to building, you have to make a u-turn and backtrack. Used the train into Boston and was about a 10 min. trip from the hotel. We did not hear any traffic being on a busy road.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrsshep
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston-Peabody
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
#1 of 3 in Salem

Been to Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody? Share your experiences!