“Very good, portions could be better”
Review of Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 174 Restaurants in Peabody
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rt 114 & 128
Description: The signature dish at Legal Sea Foods – really fresh fish. Seafood Nation loves our outpost in Peabody, at the junction of Routes 128 and 114. Those traveling to and from the beaches in Cape Ann are known to jump ship for some fresh catch. And those considering a fishing trip, visit us instead. Legal Sea Foods has long proven that a consistent, high quality dining experience never goes out of style. With over 40 varieties of fresh fish and shellfish available throughout the year as well as an award-winning wine list, there’s no doubt why legions of fans have fallen hook, line and sinker. We’ve received a boatload of accolades including “Most Popular Boston Restaurant” (Zagat, 2012/2013), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Improper Bostonian, 2010), “Best Chowder” (Boston Magazine, 2010), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Boston Phoenix, 2009) and the honor of serving our legendary New England Clam Chowder at every presidential inauguration since 1981.
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Although the food is very good, the portion sizes are not so good. The sushi appetizer is delicious, however, don't think you're going to get full when eating it. Decent wines by the glass, however they could do better with pricing if they brought in more chilean, Argentinan, and Spanish wines. I am always impressed when a restaurant can offer a nice glass of wine for $8 or less.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I went with a group of friends who half love seafood, and other other half don't care for it. Personally I am allergic to shellfish and my husband LOVES anything shellfish. He was quite happy with his meal, a friend got a meal that was very salty, another friend said what he got was ok. Me on the other hand, I only had like 2 or 3 options of food. I ended up getting a very overpriced steak which wasn't worth half the money. I know a person that is allergic to seafood went to a seafood restaurant and didn't have a good meal... what should I have expected? I would at least expect the items they have on the menu to be decent for the price...

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stopped by for a quick dinner. Had a great time. Three of us had 3 different entrees and we all enjoyed our meals. Servers were fine, timely service. A great place to go when you don't need something real fancy (read: real expensive) and want a good meal. I'd go back frequently if I lived in the aea.

1  Thank C B
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We went for dinner to celebrate my son's birthday. There were 5 of us on a Friday night that was not busy for the restaurant. The food is very good but the service was poor. We had to ask twice for the drink that had been ordered to be brought to the table. It took 20 minutes. My father in-law clam chowder was never served. When we asked the waiter about it, he seemed incredulous that it had not been served. He did apologize. A manager came over to assure us it would not be added to the bill as we were ending the meal. Maybe they had an off night.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I went for dinner on Oct. 26 at 5:30 pm. We wanted to sit in the bar area but that was our first disappointment as the booth seating was segmented in such a way that two people could not sit comfortably on the cushioning because of a crack formed between the two sections.
Then we had to move as far away as possible from the door to the street as it kept opening up and letting a cold draft through which blew over the paper menu cues standing on the table.

We noticed the menu had only two dinner specials, both rich and creamy and expensive ($26 or more, one called for the 1%ers). Also, as we are both pescatarians (fish and vegetables only) it was disappointing to see few vegetable sides to choose from. I ordered wood grilled haddock with butternut squash and requested brussel sprouts even though they were not on the menu but apart of one of the expensive specials. The waiter said he would have to check to see if I could have the sprouts as they only may have enough for the special orders!

I had pictured the haddock from decades past at Legal in Boston and Cambridge ( where I have lived for 40 years) as white and thick with a brown crust on top. Instead the waiter brought a thin, grayish slightly undercooked and therefore mostly cold piece of fish. It looked to be just thawed from a previous frozen state. The vegetables, thanks to the draft, soon also were cold as ice.

At the end, the waiter presented us with Legal's code of ethics printed on a sheet of paper. Our conclusion: Don't believe them. It's a business past its' prime, attempting to capitalize on its' former reputation while dishing out less and less quality to its' customers.

Been to Legal Sea Foods? Share your experiences!