“Outstanding restaurant that never disappoints”
Review of Steaming Tender

Steaming Tender
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Palmer
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I make a reservation here every January for the group I travel with the huge model train show in West Springfield, Mass. One of their busiest nights is the Saturday evening of the show.

It is in a perfect location in a stunning old (and beautifully restored) train station at the diamond of a number of active rail lines. It is normal to have multiple trains going by during your meal. The food and staff are top rate. We have enjoyed a meal here about 5 times and everytime the meal is excellent. I've had the prime rib, duck, meatloaf, turkey and others. The bread pudding is decadent and delicious. I've travelled the world and this remains one of my favourite restaurants. I wish I could give it a 6 out of 5.

1  Thank simeon
There are newer reviews for Steaming Tender

Reviewed January 22, 2014

The Steaming Tender in Palmer is located in the classic Boston & Albany station designed by H.H. Richardson- beautifully restored and maintained after years of decline and neglect from the 1960's onward. Good local ales, a wide variety of hearty dishes, and friendly wait staff make for a very enjoyable rail-themed dining experience. Blake Lamoth has decorated the interior with many authentic rail artifacts and antiques- and if you visit Palmer during business hours, check out his three antique shops in town. Fun items: down to earth, no antique snobbery (:
CSX freights roll by, the Amtrak "Lakeshore Ltd." roars past, and local freights on the Mass Central and New England Central show up at various times. The signal next to the restaurant gives some clues as to approaching trains headed west.
An old Porter steam loco adds a finishing touch in the (free) parking lot; and the Olmstead designed station park and grotto is slowly being restored behind the engine. Although there wasn't often any steam associated with tenders, some were equipped with "boosters" which helped push the engine. Steam was supplied from the engine back to tender wheels. Perhaps that is the origin of the name?

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stopped here on our way to Hancock MA while on a skiing trip. What an absolutely cute venue. It was fun to see all the train watchers outside waiting for the next train. The inside was decorated so beautifully for Christmas. The wait staff had on railroad overalls. The service was EXCELLENT. My only complaint was our wonderfully tasting clam chowder was not hot. Some other tables complained about this too. I only had a salad so that I could save room for their INCREDIBLE and FAMOUS Bourbon bread pudding. WOW....My hubby had a fish dish and loved it. I would definitely stop by again when I'm in the area.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I have been here a few times in the past but never wrote a review. Today I felt compelled to after our visit. We went for a birthday celebration with family and little kids. Very exciting atmosphere for a child, especially a boy into trains. It was clean, the service was good, a little honkie, but good. All at our table were happy with their meals. I liked the choices and not having to get fries with our burgers. Everything was fresh and hot. A small fast Amtrak train did go by while we were there and a slow cargo train on the other side. They rang a bell and sounded a whistle to sing the birthday song. When the fast train went by the older women at the table behind us screamed, thus freaking out the kids at our table...they then asked the waitress why that happened so loud and fast??? My only complaint is this is in a small town, now does this small town want businesses to thrive and draw customers or not?? Well FIX the road then. All dirt and mud with potholes, we were told it is maintained by the city and they won't fix it?? Pretty confusing there....but overall great place especially for kids!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

The wife decided to take me to the Steaming Tender for my birthday dinner along with her nephew and his girlfriend. I have seen this restaurant many times as I go by on the train with CSX. The restaurant is a converted rail station. Upon entering it was like stepping back in time, the wood work, the pictures, and all the artifacts displayed around make you feel your in the early 20th century, We were seated promptly, and our server Jodi greeted us in a friendly and cheerful manor. The wife ordered the Trainmaster Burger, a one pound burger!! her nephew ordered a cheeseburger, his girlfriend ordered the chicken salad sandwich, I ordered the fresh whole belly clams.
When the food arrived it did not take long at all, The clams were golden brown and the clams were fresh and tender no grit or dirt, cooked perfectly. The wife's burger was amazing, cooked to order med rare, it was juicy and the meat was fresh hamburger, it was never frozen, and you could taste the grill marks the great char flavor. The homemade onion rings were great.. The nephew's burger was cooked to order and again juicy and flavorful. The girlfriends sandwich was also good.
As for desert we tried the Home made Bread Pudding which was outstanding!!! A must for any desert lover. We enjoyed our meals and conversation with our server Jodi. We will be back, and yes it is true that the restaurant does harbor spirits from beyond the grave, we saw it firsthand!!!!