“English Anorak Happy”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
burton on trent, UK
“English Anorak Happy”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Knowing my penchant for a good railway, our friends brought us to this temple of steam for lunch. Just looking at the building told me that we were in for a treat, there was something truly authentic (not really surprising as it had been a Union Passenger Station) and not just a plastic tourist mish-mash trap. I had left my anorak at home but this did not prevent my keen railway eye surveying the room in a hyper critical manner. This place ticked all the boxes, our friends had not wasted their time!

The interior was superb, a busy drone of happy customers, great staff getting round efficiently and quickly with a ready smile for everyone. Our seat allowed a commanding view of the entire room and it was self evident that these were very happy punters. An extensive menu of American food at very fair prices and a good selection of drinks, n.b. this is not fine dining but damned good food, plenty of it, served hot with flavour and a smile.

I can't remember all of our selections, but all four of us were more than happy and the piece of fish with the chips (fries) was more of a young whale, enormous! A selection of drinks were taken but sadly I was driving so had to behave but a good range of non-alcoholic drinks compensated. A couple of desserts were taken by the more adventurous members and there were no disappointments.

Special reference must be made to the Gents toilet, admittedly only a single person facility, but what a facility, bigger than many lounges! Those were the days of railway opulence.

The room is full of memorabilia and a few souvenirs are available but not "pushed" in your face. Again I did not have time to lean on the bar but it looked interesting. Finally I can report there were trains of all types passing by, never to fast though, perhaps they were thinking of stopping? they would not have been disappointed.

• Visited September 2013

Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Great Food, Great Fun”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We've visited the Steaming Tender before, and had a wonderful lunch, so we decided to return and bring two friends along with us.

They (and we) were delighted by the Historic building's decor, the quick, friendly, and efficient service, and the luscious drinks (they ordered Pink Lemonade Martini's, and we treated ourselves to a glass each from the fine Scotch drink list).

And the food? Great! They ordered Turkey dinners, my partner had the Cobb Burger (more on that in a minute) and I had the Jumbo Fried Shrimp.

The turkey dinners--big portions, all white meat, butternut squash, stuffing,cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy. All delicious, according to our friends. (Our lady friend couldn't finish hers, and brought some home.)

The Cobb Burger--8 oz burger on a french roll, topped with a fried egg, cheese, avocado, lettuce and tomato, bacon. Came with fries or another side of your choice. Wow (!), according to my partner, delicious wow.

Fried Jumbo Shrimp (comes with fries, but they were happy to substitute a baked potato) were plump, moist, tender, delicious.

Some final notes about the fun part of the restaurant: The music that plays as you dine, includes old-time favorites like "I've been working on the railroad". Cute! Also, the trains which rush by, right outside the restaurant windows, startled our companions, but in a good way :>) And the staff rendition of "Happy Birthday" for a customer, came complete with a "train whistle" sound effect.

All in all, the steaming tender is a fun place to dine, and the food is good enough to make you want to return.

• Visited November 2013
Oakham, Massachusetts
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our friends took us to this restaurant, not once, but twice. The second time was better than the first. My husband loved his lobster casserole. I enjoyed their watermelon martini and had the beef tenderloins with the blue cheese sauce on top (I can't remember what it was called but I do remember that it was absolutely wonderful and the beef was super tender - like it could have "melted in my mouth"). I love their mashed potatoes and squash (the squash was naturally sweet like it should taste). It can be noisy but that's to be expected when the place fills up but the restaurant is large enough that you're not right next to another table or can hear the conversation of others. All in all, I will be returning again and again for the service and food.

• Visited October 2013
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
“Nothing Sepcial”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Went for dinner to the Steaming Tender because I heard good things about it. All in all I found the food to be rather mediocre. The service was not that impressive either. The menu features nothing special. I ordered the salmon, and was not that particullary overjoyed with it. On the positive side, I believe the draw to this place is the railroad station and train tracks. My suggestion, skip the food and go for a few drinks, and enjoy the atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
“Nite out”
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

The Waitress Lauren was excellent, Didn't have to wait for her to come to the table. Very intent on what we wanted.
We Had The lobster Bisque & The specialty Bread, ( very Good)for appetizers.
For The Main course, My wife had the Lobster Ravioli ( large pieces of lobster not shredded type. ( you knew you where getting lobster. ) I had Prime rib 10 0z, w/ baked potato w/ sour Cream and Butter. And a side of Butternut Squash, And Au Jus on the side. ( both were great ) She Didn't rush the delivery of food. And Checked on refills of drinks often.
Deserts are awesome. Will return again For the Dill salmon dinner & scollops wrapped in bacon.